One Person's Thoughts on Animal Farm.

There's a lot more to the show than that. Sure the show's not your cup of tea, but you sound like you're taking it too personal. If you pay attention you can see the Animal Farm story line, from the beginning chaotic uprising to the Beast of England anthem hints and reoccurring windmill imagery, to the pig's corruption of power and Boxer's death, and lastly to the dark and political ending. If I need to lay it out even more for you to figure it out I don't mind.

I've read the book and studied it at great length, as well as seen this show many times, and IMO it missed the mark.

Sorry that I think the show was a waste of the members talents and self-serving to the design staff.

If we're all this sensitive about people criticizing a show, maybe it's time we rubbed some ####### dirt on it and got over it.

but BAC always does and always has taken any negative comment very personally rather than to step back, reflect, and gleen any wisdom no matter how negative. Reaction is not always the best action.

Here's hoping a different perspective allows them a wonderful anniversary season.

What a condescending comment to make....about any drum corps. "BAC always takes any negative comment personally"? Really? I'm not aware of anyone from the membership, staff, or design team of BAC reacting to ANY negative comments here or on any other forum.

As far as another poster's earlier comment about "This is our show. If you like it, great. If you don't like it or don't get it, we don't care...etc" I smiled when I heard that because that is almost word for word what a certain tenor player said to me as he was marching his age-out in Star 1993.

Apparently then, we may surmise that "art" has more to do with the passage of time than anything else.

Guess I should say that I liked the fact that in 2014 BAC finally stopped using music that other corps have been successful with and didn't do a musical rehash.

Maybe that's how they were drawing their concept clearly.

To be honest, I had high hopes for this program.

Unfortunately, the Animal Farm show seemed to lack any sort of clear definition in show design. It also came off incredibly pretentious and self-serving, which I find pretty pathetic.

The whole baby powder thing was, mildly comical, but again, pretty self-serving.

It almost seemed like they were saying here's our concept, and if you get it, great, if you don't, we don't care, and if people for some bizarre reason believe that that would make them seem deep, inciteful, innovative, well, that's crazy thinking too. Granted, BD's Dada show may be considered along those types of lines, but that concept actually worked because it lived the concept. Animal Farm, not so much.

Here's to hoping they get over themselves in 2015.

The words I quote in boldface above brings to mind something the late great film critic, Stanley Kauffmann, wrote about the 1976 film Network, written by Paddy Chayefsky and directed by Sidney Lumet--and the winner of four Oscars, for whatever that's worth:

"All through his spotty career Lumet has seemed most comfortable shooting in and around New York City, from Stage Struck (1958) to Dog Day Afternoon (1975). Here he is so easy that he even indulges in some private jokes. The best kind: if you get them, fine; if you don't, you're not left out in the cold. A Wasp executive of the network dies and we see Dunaway come out of his funeral. Lumet shoots it outside a well-known synagogue on West 83rd Street. Finch visits the headquarters of a huge multi-national conglomerate, and we see him going up the marble stairs--of the New York Public Library."

(Emphasis added.)

Kauffmann means that description as praise of what Lumet was doing. I gather you don't see it that way?

What a condescending comment to make....about any drum corps. "BAC always takes any negative comment personally"? Really? I'm not aware of anyone from the membership, staff, or design team of BAC reacting to ANY negative comments here or on any other forum.

That's a good point. It's less often corps staff than corps fans who get all prickly in the forums. (A notable exception this year was the director of an Open Class corps who posted to that forum about halfway through the season, rather more defensively than was needed.) But those fans can indeed be very quick to be outraged. This is true for all corps, I guess, but since Boston's show had my favorite design in 2014, I posted more to the Boston thread than to those for most other corps, and that's where I was likeliest to encounter umbrage. Some highly-devoted Boston fans bristled whenever my comments included less than absolute praise, or so it seemed to me.

• Like 1

Are you serious right now?

Who gives me the right? Um, DCP, a forum which allows members to post topics and give their opinions.

As for criticizing the membership of BAC, read my posts again. You'll find that my comments are geared toward the fact that they were trying to do a show utilizing the concept of the book "Animal Farm" and I feel they missed the mark. My comments about the lack of cohesiveness stems from their lack of true storytelling and concept, but instead uses "smoke and mirrors" such as the whole animal constume head things, the G7 form, the baby powder. In other words, gimmicks to buck the system or the norm.

Thank you for referring to me as the smart one, I won't go there though and give you a nickname.

Interesting the very different standards people have for certain corps. Phantom Regiment is CONSTANTLY criticized for using shows with storylines. And yet here we have someone complaining about the LACK of a cohesive storyline. It just shows everyone has different preferences/opinions. And as this IS a discussion board, those opinions are of course allowed to be expressed.

Criticizing is okay. Everyone has a right to an opinion. But there is a very big difference between criticizing a corps and ATTACKING/BELITTLING them. You, unfortunately, seem to fit in the latter.

Interesting the very different standards people have for certain corps. Phantom Regiment is CONSTANTLY criticized for using shows with storylines. And yet here we have someone complaining about the LACK of a cohesive storyline. It just shows everyone has different preferences/opinions. And as this IS a discussion board, those opinions are of course allowed to be expressed.

Criticizing is okay. Everyone has a right to an opinion. But there is a very big difference between criticizing a corps and ATTACKING/BELITTLING them. You, unfortunately, seem to fit in the latter.

So giving concrete examples of how the design team failed in my mind is attacking/belittling? Interesting.

As for other corps and storylines, how you're not referring to me, especially the pr comment. Love to see where I said that

As for other corps and storylines, how you're not referring to me, especially the pr comment. Love to see where I said that

Check the post I quoted in my previous post. It's right in the middle of that paragraph.

That's a good point. It's less often corps staff than corps fans who get all prickly in the forums. (A notable exception this year was the director of an Open Class corps who posted to that forum about halfway through the season, rather more defensively than was needed.) But those fans can indeed be very quick to be outraged. This is true for all corps, I guess, but since Boston's show had my favorite design in 2014, I posted more to the Boston thread than to those for most other corps, and that's where I was likeliest to encounter umbrage. Some highly-devoted Boston fans bristled whenever my comments included less than absolute praise, or so it seemed to me.

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones...