At what point do corps accept their fate?

Never came up, was never mentioned. The only thing that was told to us (and something I still use today) was at the beginning of Pre-Tour when Jeff would tell us "This is not a defensive activity, you can't worry about what anyone else is doing because there is nothing you can do to effect them, just worry about yourself and your performance".

Star of Indiana did not worry about scores or fate and had a Blast.

What you did there, I see it.

• Like 1

excuse me while I put on my Capt Obvious uniform

between last week and this weekend

When I marched, the collective mindset was more of let's pass the guys ahead of us, ok great did that, let's get the next one and so on. Yes, we cared about the competition but overall, I would say we would gladly settle for a lower place if we were the ones that got that audience off their feet. Winning a show and getting the audience up was just icing on the cake. Of course, we wanted to win (who wants to lose?) but putting out the best show we could was our goal. Sounds cliché but that was our general take.

• Like 1

As a middle-of-the-pack finalist, I can tell you my experience.

The staff constantly reminded us that the standings were their responsibility. So in this context, our "fate" was surrendered in our trust of our staff.

At a direct level, we focused on who beat us, and trying to catch them. "Let's get the zzzzz corps tonight!" It was never like we're going to suddenly win the whole thing. Again, "fate" wasn't our job.

I think for me, when I finally "knew"... I had always signed on to a corps I thought would make Finals as I aged out. That was the focus. I got cut from one that I knew would make finals, so I auditioned for one that might. We were roughly seeded 11 going in to quarters, and came out at 8 quarters night. It was at that moment that I knew I was a Finalist. It was a moment I will never forget. It was my Super Bowl/Stanley Cup. There was no way we were going to drop 5 spots in one night. 24 hours later, we did drop one spot over a tenth or some small thing. Any last bit of nerves was gone. Saturday was total exhibition, fun, and just letting it go.

So it's not a simple answer in its intricate reality. It is, however, simple when you as a performer realize that you have no effect over your fate outside of execution. Do your job with enthusiasm and you will meet your potential as it was given to you. Acceptance occurs at the moment of trust, and from then on, you know that it is your job to do your part and that the team will be what it is.

Star of Indiana did not worry about scores or fate and had a Blast.

You couldn't possibly be more incorrect. The decision to move on from DCI was made before the corps touched the field in 93.

Nice try though.

I've never written a "back when I marched" post before, but there's a first time for everything. : )

When I marched, there was so much more movement in placements. I've wondered over the last few years if current marchers get bored. After mid-season, there's so little movement.

I know we (Bluecoats) had no chance of winning in 2005 after seeing the Cadets and Cavaliers multiple times throughout the season. To me, it was all about beating Madison...surging for that 5th place finish. So I guess I accepted my fate pretty early on.