At what point do corps accept their fate?

All this is true. But take Cadets new ending. Was it done because it is the right ending for the show and always planned or because they thought "sh@t, our GE scores are getting beat so we need more GE. I know, let's put some huge tarps in'

Since at least June if not earlier, they were planning to have a different ending; and, since at least early July if not earlier, they knew some specifics of what it would be. I'm sure its contents morphed as the season went along and they received feedback.

I can only speak for how I felt and how Cadets mentality was in the 90s, but you go out and try your best simple as that.

In the back of your mind you hope the judges suddenly change their views.

We all knew BD was going to win in 94, but that didn't affect how we performed.

And look at Cavaliers in 95. BD was 2 pointing everyone until the week before finals, and suddenly at quarterfinals Cavaliers were ahead. Different Era I know, but the point is you hold out hope that if you work your hardest something could change.

Check the videos of retreat from 1987 (on youtube) and ask SCV when they accepted their fate? Also, if you read the comments on the 1980's Drum and Bugle Corps page, there are people who marched 89 Phantom who have yet to accept their fate.

Not that 1987 SCV didn't deserve high GE necessarily, but it still blows my mind that Garfield was almost a half-point behind them in GE (at finals, anyway).

• Like 1

Not even when Longshanks's torturer is drawing out their viscera.

Glad you took the freedom to say that.

I think each corps is mainly trying to achieve the best performance of their show. In every type of adjudicated music, the outcome is determined by

1. How well you do

2. How well the other groups do

3. What the judges prefer

#1 is the only thing you can control, so it makes sense to focus your efforts there.

I seriously doubt Crown or Bluecoats or Cadets have "given up" or "accepted their fate". I'm sure they are all working very hard to maximize their shows. If they bring the performance, it's out of their hands how the judging panel chooses to reward it.

• Like 2

My guess is that point would that one second after they've completed their final performance of the season.

What he (or she) said.

I think each corps is mainly trying to achieve the best performance of their show. In every type of adjudicated music, the outcome is determined by

1. How well you do

#1 is the only thing you can control, so it makes sense to focus your efforts there.

I seriously doubt Crown or Bluecoats or Cadets have "given up" or "accepted their fate". I'm sure they are all working very hard to maximize their shows. If they bring the performance, it's out of their hands how the judging panel chooses to reward it.

Goodness, I say those exact things to the band I teach every year. I mean...down to the sequence you put them in! :smile:

1. How well you do

Just ask Phantom 2008.

Corps keep pushing until the end. From all my friends who have marched recently, they tell me that on finals night (or semifinals for some, I had one friend in the troopers last year and this year), they put in their all. There is no resigning. Their goal is to put out the best performance.