At what point do corps accept their fate?

I remember in 2012 seeing Crown in Allentown and many fans and Crown instructors and they were convinced that they would ultimately win in Indy, and as someone who thought it could happen, I was in that category. They were sure that they would win finals and competed like they wanted to win. At 12th place we found Crossmen. They knew they were going to be finalists and their show at semi's which was powerful showed they would not give up without a fight. Now that same year, Cadets did "12.25" which I thought lost its steam after Allentown which was a disappointment. Phantom knew this and did a performance at finals that demonstrated they were determined. Then there's also the performance by BAC that year that put them in the top 7 and fueled all kinds of G7 controversy the following winter.

This year my guess is that Troopers and Crossmen have finals on their mind and will not give up, Spirit does not want to fall from finals, Blue Stars want to advance, Madison has awakened from slumber, Blue Knights want to do better than their highest placement of 7th at finals, BAC will never quit no matter what, Phantom may be resigned at this point even a resigned Phantom could still make noise, Cavies want to get back in the fight and are edging close to Bloo, Crown, and SCV, all shows that could surprise at the end. Cadets are out for blood at this point and BD's confidence is a disguise--they have a lot of fight. I might also add Academy wants to be in the top 15 at prelims so they can be featured in Thursday night's cinecast. We're talking about true competitors who are focused on their corps' success, so no one has yet accepted their fate in my opinion.

When one stops looking FORWARD is the moment you best be paying atention to what is BEHIND you.

Whats that saying? Objects in the mirror are closer than they actually appear...

objects-in-mirror.jpg

Just ask Phantom 2008.

Exactly. I think the goal of a group that is behind is to bring a performance that is so good, it makes the judges take a fresh look and maybe change their minds. Phantom definitely did that in 2008. Also in 1996.

Edited by ShortAndFast

When one stops looking FORWARD is the moment you best be paying atention to what is BEHIND you.

Whats that saying? Objects in the mirror are closer than they actually appear...

That's exactly what happened to Blue Knights all the years I was in the corps. In 1993, at Preview of Champions, we came out 9th. We were so preoccupied with getting rid of the "Blue 9th" moniker that Bluecoats snuck up on us and put us in 10th. In 1994, we made it to 7th at Preview of Champions, we let off the gas and Crossmen tied us at finals. 1995, we were 11th at Preview of Champions and ended up 13th and watching finals when it was all said and done.

I think there is always the risk that one, two or a few in any corps can feel "resigned" to some kind of fate. If you join a corps, or return to a corps, hoping to achieve a certain placement goal and that goal feels like it's almost impossible, I imagine that's difficult to overcome. I bet most of us seasoned folks who have marched at least a couple of years have known that one member, or that small handful of members, who would always make sure to spread negativity. But I don't expect there to be a sense of resignation that permeates a majority (or more) of a corps. If that's happening, then I would say there is a systemic problem with that organization.

• Like 1

I would ask the 2008 Phantom Regiment at what point they accepted their fate.

Exactly!!! . . . . and the '88 Madison Scouts or even the '96 Phantom Regiment or 2013 Carolina Crown. Crown lost to BD last year in Prelims at Championships and the prior two regionals that year. You NEVER give up in this activity!!!!

• Like 1

In Pacific Crest's case, it's back in January.

In 2004, I remember that scores and placements mattered to many of us...but only within our own competitive "tier". No one was under an illusion at the start of the season that we had a shot at a medal, of course. But we (Capital Regiment) were *very* interested and concerned about those corps scoring within our vicinity (Magic, Southwind, Cascades, Colts, Spirit). We knew we had a (very) outside shot at 12th (14th was the ultimate placement), and we cared about how we were stacking up to those select corps from show to show. The upper tier corps were basically just seen as another division for all practical purposes, so it was just fun to watch them.

Edited by geluf

How about Troopers last year? Yes, they missed finals by a whisker. But for many of those who wrote them off as finalist contenders late in the season last year, they darn near ate a ton of crow.

Never count out the human spirit! Corps that truly excel do so because those who perform have the will to perfect what they do individually and as a team. They compete against themselves, not against the 8 who judge them.