Im sorry DCI, you need to fix the scoring again

Well buddy. I'll put you in the category that thinks Justin Beiber is innovative. Easy, flashy, loud, and showy. Anyone can pull that off. The rest of us will enjoy Parker, Coltrane, the Vienna Phil, Liquid Tension experiments, Frank Zappa and the Debussy and others. You can keep baby throwing, Bieber, Snooki and One Direction.

I think that fits your style. Easy to understand and no effort or thought required.

Based on that I'm done. You have run out of even arguable points and only have posts left to try to make it sound good. Loud baby throwing is for big 12 marching band at the bowl games.

We will keep our shows you may have to see more than once. Not to mention Gordon Goodwin wrote parts. That's pretty impressive baby throwing material.

Any questions?

P.S. If average is ok than we all should worry

Also, congrats to all the members this year and years past for creating an activity that I myself did for 5 years and it saved my life. You all entertain and always remember to strive to be better than yourself the year before. That philosophy is why the Blue Devils are so successful. They work to beat themselves and the past Blue Devils every year. Not other corps.

Edited by The Dude

I was there and down low last night. From my perspective it was plenty hard and they do indeed move and play. So get off it.

Wow dude, your insulting tone and inability to understand a nuanced argument really changed my mind. I will change my entire philosophy based on your 7 whole posts on this forum. You changed my life.

I was there and down low last night. From my perspective it was plenty hard and they do indeed move and play. So get off it.

You indeed have a different perspective than I do. I even acknowledged that this year in particular they move far more than in previous years. BD has an approacach that operates on a different paradigm than their competition. It is my opinion that the approach does not operate on the difficulty paradigm in which the other corps operate. Im not saying the show is "easy" in a pure sense, but the complexity is not based in drill which in the past had been the established paradigm.

If BD can march and play well in any capacity as you say, then why have they not done it in the past 8 years?

That is your quote. Insulting to BD? Yes..because they have done it in the past 8 years.

I have read this forum for years and have seen great posts and uninformed ones. I lost the ability to remain silent based on those that are tired of not seeing what they want to see or refuse to see. Yes, I am intense and have short patience for points with no merit. Seems as though most of the world does think they move and play quite well.

I'm glad I could help.

Not a good idea to call someone on insulting with a post of that nature.

I have no issue being "that guy" when nobody else will.

Edited by The Dude

Its not my fault that you read one sentence them turn yourself off to any context that follows it.

You indeed have a different perspective than I do. I even acknowledged that this year in particular they move far more than in previous years. BD has an approacach that operates on a different paradigm than their competition. It is my opinion that the approach does not operate on the difficulty paradigm in which the other corps operate. Im not saying the show is "easy" in a pure sense, but the complexity is not based in drill which in the past had been the established paradigm.

There is some design complexity to the drill. I have noticed that whenever they do stand still and play, my eye is drawn to the moving sections. I might be going on a limb saying they meant to do that, but I have found movement for the sake of movement kind of overextending at times.

The system "works", but it could work "better" for "more people" if it was revamped.

To me, box integrity (conforming to the sheets) should be most important, then ranking; all I hear here is RANK then RATE. I guess it's more important to let the highest scoring corps in each caption know how much better they are to the field than to let all corps know where they are in relation to the sheets. If we went to more decimals or something, then maybe we could do both AND avoid those terrible ties that so many don't like. I don't have a problem with them.

see for me the Box system works very well mainly as an instructor it tells me lots of things like where I am specifically and what iam excelling in and what i am not. It's spelled out very specifically. It also tells me based on scoring where I am in relation to my competitors and what they are excelling in and not. There's no guessing game

Now, for all who dont get or who dont want this system......ok we change it, Do we actually think outcomes would be any different? do we actually think no matter what the system, corps like BD or Cadets or whoever, aren't going to be in the top 5 or a contender? I don't think so. Certain corps know how to compete and i have said all along and believe the not much would change. As far as the the actual box, who is that for? It is for the staff of all these corps to work off of to develop their shows, so I believe that is 1st priority here. No matter what the sheets are or will become the general public, no matter how educated will find fault with them, promoting something other than what some or many want to see.

Edited by GUARDLING

But wouldn't the average drum corps fan want the "game" based on baby throwing?

NO!

1st I hate that term...lol...ok that aside..lol

Crowd reaction can be so different show to show and for a million reasons. It doesnt always say that it was the best corps. Not that it couldnt

see for me the Box system works very well mainly as an instructor it tells me lots of things like where I am specifically and what iam excelling in and what i am not. It's spelled out very specifically. It also tells me based on scoring where I am in relation to my competitors and what they are excelling in and not. There's no guessing game

Now, for all who dont get or who dont want this system......ok we change it, Do we actually think outcomes would be any different? do we actually think no matter what the system, corps like BD or Cadets or whoever, aren't going to be in the top 5 or a contender? I don't think so. Certain corps know how to compete and i have said all along and believe the not much would change. As far as the the actual box, who is that for? It is for the staff of all these corps to work off of to develop their shows, so I believe that is 1st priority here. No matter what the sheets are or will become the general public, no matter how educated will find fault with them, promoting something other than what some or many want to see.

Many great points.

The boxes are for the staff to address things in the show.

You've never found it irritating to get comments saying you're in one box only to be scored in the next lower box? I've heard that one many times from others.

....and no Blue Devils (especially, 16 and counting) are going to figure out what it takes to do well under whatever system, just as I do when I'm presented with a rubric for a class.

I'm sure there are other staff who find fault with any of the sheets just as much as an educated fan because I've heard some of the criticisms by enough people involved. You have to deal with what you got, though.