Im sorry DCI, you need to fix the scoring again

Most body movement is indeed easy. Where it becomes demanding (for any corps) is when you start adding weight shifts and center of gravity shifts. That kind of movement is tremendously difficult, as well as difficult to clean, particularly while playing. The Blue Devils and Crown have employed a lot of this the lasts few years, and the Bluecoats joined them a bit this year. Madison had a few instances of this too, though they had some achievement issues.

Factor in this kid of movement in and around props (Devils, Bluecoats), or in and around partners (a long-time Crown staple), and you really drive up the difficulty level.

I see that, although I can't believe that playing while leaning over left and right or while standing on one leg is anywhere near as difficult as playing while running. I could almost do the former! (Granted, I couldn't remotely play as well to start with, but anyway.)

At one point BD does run and gun, and for me it's the most impressive visual moment (brass) because they sound amazing.

I see that, although I can't believe that playing while leaning over left and right or while standing on one leg is anywhere near as difficult as playing while running. I could almost do the former! (Granted, I couldn't remotely play as well to start with, but anyway.)

At one point BD does run and gun, and for me it's the most impressive visual moment (brass) because they sound amazing.

My understanding was that the movement itself isn't challenging, and neither is playing while doing the movement. It's getting the tone and quality to sound exactly as if you aren't moving that makes it so hard. I'm not a brass guy, but my old roommate would always try educating me on this stuff when he marched. He always told me that it was a LOT harder than it looks but I'm a percussion guy so it tended to be followed with me rolling my eyes saying "yeah...ok"

My understanding was that the movement itself isn't challenging, and neither is playing while doing the movement. It's getting the tone and quality to sound exactly as if you aren't moving that makes it so hard. I'm not a brass guy, but my old roommate would always try educating me on this stuff when he marched. He always told me that it was a LOT harder than it looks but I'm a percussion guy so it tended to be followed with me rolling my eyes saying "yeah...ok"

No, that's exactly what it is, and why playing fast or technical stuff on the move is WAY easier than playing sustains. Factor in volume changes, and range changes (either end) and it gets even harder.

Actually playing while marching isn't bad...it's the controlling your breathing when you are winded that is HARD.

Edited by Mello Dude

Also...playing a sustain at pp is a HELL of a lot harder than blasting at FFF...MUCH more control is required.

That's why the decrescendo at the end of the 2nd movement is 1990 Star blows me away...absolute perfection and control...just like someone turned the volume knob all the way down.

• Like 2

The Blue Devils are hauling for a long time with....wait for it......No real halts to catch a breath and count off. I guess a continuous 11 minutes is easy.

So a halt is not "real" unless followed by a drum major counting off? Okay, I understand now.

I can safely say, then, that the number of halts in the Blue Devils drill is "unreal".