Crown has really grown on me

Bunch of cool parts, trouble coming together as a single cohesive concept. I loved the parts though.

Agreed. Some of it was a little disappointing (the Interstellar Suite stuff), but one of the most musical moments of the year, for me, was when they played Major Tom coming out of the second drum feature. The "Earth below us..." section. Absolutely Klesh at his very arranging best. I wish they'd done even more of that.

I wish they would have giant tarps with potraits of Neil Armstrong, HAL, ET and Ripley. Perhaps a guy reading off quotes:

"They mostly come out at night, mostly."

"I'm afraid I can't do that..."

"Elliot! Elliot!"

"To infinity and beyond", that is what Buzz Lightyear said.

• Like 1

Yes the more tarps the better. You can never have too much cheesy goodness.

Edited by Anstig

Agreed. Some of it was a little disappointing (the Interstellar Suite stuff), but one of the most musical moments of the year, for me, was when they played Major Tom coming out of the second drum feature. The "Earth below us..." section. Absolutely Klesh at his very arranging best. I wish they'd done even more of that.

That was freakin GLORIOUS in finals. Love that part.

• Like 1

I fear I may be alone in my opinion, but from a pure enjoyment standpoint, Crown was my favorite show this year.

I think I liked the coats show a smidgen better this year BUT Crown was still absolutely amazing. It's always no-holds-barred and I LOVE that about them. There's no carefully managed exposure to risk; they hang it all out there for everyone to see and if they can't clean it, then at least they tried something stupidly challenging that literally no one else will dare to do. And honestly I think that's why they're consistently a crowd favorite.

All IMHO of course.

• Like 2

I was surprised that they left the white tarps under the various field percussion bits. I would have bet you dollars to donuts that those would have been done up to look like Planets for Finals week.

• Like 1

I don't see why an explanation was needed in the first place. It seems to me that a viewer should be able to put that together themselves. Trampolines+Space Show = Weightlessness. Duh. :doh:​

• Like 1

I was surprised that they left the white tarps under the various field percussion bits. I would have bet you dollars to donuts that those would have been done up to look like Planets for Finals week.

I would have lost that bet, too.

• Like 1

I'm confused and I'm not sure if i should be. What was the buffalo incident?

Finals 2001 at Ralph Wilson Stadium, a plane with a banner congratulating "Melissa", who I believe was a member of the Crossmen- flew over the stadium....perturbed a few people....I cannot remember if it flew over during Bones' performance, or another corps......

If Crown was starting to grow on you, I would suggest seeing a doctor. That can't be good.

I enjoyed the show immensely better once they took out the dead space and added in the voiceovers. I think there were some lost opportunities with both the trampolines and the drill at the end of the show, but overall, this will go down as one of the more "listenable" shows of the season. Multiple plays on the mp3 player for sure. It was a letdown after last year's show, but in the grand scheme of Crown's shows of the past decade it is just as good if not better than most of them. Happy to add it to the canon of great musical feasts by Crown

• Like 1