2014 Drum Corps International World Championships World Class Finals

Don't take my post too seriously. I don't think he made a major infraction or anything like that (he at least wasn't throwing jolly ranchers and giggling like a schoolgirl), though I think it speaks volumes that some people still get hyper-defensive about that retreat even six years on. I don't care what shenanigans a corps gets up to in retreat as long as they keep it inside their ten yards.

And yes, BC was at fault that night. I don't mind saying it. At least that hasn't been repeated since.

I can name at least one person who gives a ####. Hint: He's in the picture too!

Doubt that person in the photo gives that much of a ####. Just look at the amount of cheese he can be associated with, especially with this year's tarpaggedon.

So.... I have access to all of the finals videos on the FanNetwork and I am not a Live+DVD or Live+BLU subscriber, just a regular subscriber. I know this won't last long, but just wanted to share that bit of news in case anyone else wanted to see if they can watch them too.

• Like 1

Wow, what's the story behind this?

Cavaliers' show in 2008 was Samurai and many of the hornline "died" on the field in various positions at retreat. One enterprising trumpet player decided to cross the boundary into Cadets' block and George gave him a little talk. I think he scooted back soon after.

• Like 1

So.... I have access to all of the finals videos on the FanNetwork and I am not a Live+DVD or Live+BLU subscriber, just a regular subscriber. I know this won't last long, but just wanted to share that bit of news in case anyone else wanted to see if they can watch them too.

You might be the most honest person in the world. :w00t:

I don't think anyone is questioning Cadets or the other groups that played the rigid military game at retreat (I marched in one for several years). The problem doesn't even lie in Cadets' intention to get out of the way as soon as possible. That's admirable. The problem lies with how they left, and the perception of it. And for folks that might not understand the intent, the perception is all that matters.

I'm sure they could find a happy medium between the two, don't you?

I completely understand this sentiment, too. The crowd these days really has no idea what the old traditions used to be (aside from a few). But I believe the policies of the Cadets go beyond the Military Style retreat and wanting to get out of the way of the Championship corps. In order for Crown and Blooo and BD, and others, to start mingling eventually people were going to break ranks and walk through the Cadets block (or really close to it), and that can get uncomfortable (as GH stated). When Cadets are in public, in uniform, they are performing. Even when standing at attention. They are not going to move, and those breaking their ranks will make things dicey.

Furthermore, when you just took 3rd after being 2nd all season, you're not exactly in the mood to celebrate, especially when everyone has seemingly taken side against you.

Look, me personally, I would have loved it if they could have congratulated the Bluecoats on their hard-fought victory in the 11th-hour (if you will) over a proven champion and extremely proficient drum corps like The Cadets. I know that would have meant a lot to Bloooo. But I really respect how the Cadets operate. These policies have kept them out of trouble on numerous occasions when others corps have found it at retreat.

The parking lot, after kids get out of their uniforms, is a much better place for hand shakes, congrats, well-wishes, hugs, and all that stuff.

• Like 1

I beat them 3 times, and none of those times when standing next to them in retreat were what I would call "classy"/ Times may have changed, and I hope so. But as long at they keep wearing championship rings on the outside of their gloves I see BD as someone that only cares about winning.

They stopped doing that.

Wow! Bluecoats tilt when 'Coats score announced. Great acknowledgment there! What is that about?

10552505_10152604763269172_1605882143774

• Like 1