2015 Predictions

Still new at predicting an entire field of 12, so keep the snarks light. :peek:

1. Blue Devils --- Until beaten again, I have to go with them. And scoring discussion aside, they have a new inspiration.

2. SCV --- To paraphrase the old standard: Everything's Up To Date In California.

3. Crown --- This year was a minor speed bump...a hiccup. And hiccups only last for so long.

4. Bloo --- It's hard to match a show that will be remembered for years to come.

5. Cavies --- Continuing the ascendancy.

6. Cadets --- Lose the cheese and gadgetry, and this may very well be higher.

7. BAC --- Watch "Dirty Harry" a few times. When he says "A man's gotta know his limitations.", take heed. Just do what you do best, and do it well. Pushing an envelop is fine. But remember the old line of the 70's: Only YOU can prevent forest fires.

8. Phantom --- Still trying to seek the forest from the trees.

9. Blue Knights --- Pretty heady stuff, that 2014. Might need a dose of oxygen from the DCI altitude change.

10. Troopers --- Judges say "VISUAL, VISUAL, VISUAL!!" The message gets through. (Alert: purely homer call.)

11. Crossmen --- Finally, Bones and Troop aren't mutually killing themselves and each other all season long over one finals spot. And it'll show.

12. Scouts --- "Malaguena" won't be the answer to your problems -- trust me.

I have a feeling I'm going to look REEEAAALLL stupid come next August (at least no more so than I am already). In my defense, I think it's a lot more difficult doing this now than it was 20-30 years ago. Today's 7-12 is yesterday's 4-9. So much more talent spread across much fewer groups -- at least from the music angle. That's not a slam on the old-timers (MY generation) -- but simply a commentary on the levels of expertise required, and where it is coming from.

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 1

1. Blue Devils - I've mentioned this elsewhere, but BD have completely figured out DCI. That staff has it down to a science and I'm not sure they will ever lose again until either that staff disbands in large enough amounts or some catastrophic event occurs.

2. Cadets - It's hard to count them out of any medal race.

3. Bluecoats - I want the upward trend to continue, but year-to-year things are volatile. Regardless, Bloo seems to have figured the design part out finally and they'll be in the top 5 mix for the next several years I'll wager.

4. Crown - This year's program was a bit of a mess (I liked the parts, but the whole was less than the sum) but Crown's first ever 5th place finish coming off a championship year is a pretty big motivator...they have to fix the percussion issue, though. If it was a notable blemish last year, it's all but an obvious weakness now. The hornline will ensure they're in no danger of falling out of Top 5 contention, though.

5. The Cavaliers - Returning to form. They had one of the more entertaining products on the field this year and seem to be getting a little of that old Cavies Magic back. 5th might be pushing it a little this soon, but hey, why not?

6. SCV - I hate putting them here, but I ran out of room. I thought their concept did them a disservice this past year (rehashing a 10 year old show seemed an odd choice, of course, I marched in 2004 and saw the original many, many times). They need to dig deeper into the well, design-wise, and this could change in a hurry.

7. Blue Knights - Thought they were robbed this year, to be honest.

8. Phantom Regiment - I don't know what's going on in design world over there, but I did not dig this year's show at all. Sure it was pretty...and? No real excitement generated and it showed in the GE score. It just seemed like the safest possible "Phantom" show you could have put out there. Surprise me!

9. Blue Stars - I think they've got a shot at 8th next year honestly if this design philosophy keeps up (and they retain members).

10. Boston Crusaders - HAVE to design with the corps means. I was worried about this year's show from the very first theatercast as being too hard to clean in time and that turned out to be the case. I loved the envelope-pushing, but you can't miss the forest for the trees. Make sure it's a program you can max out when the time comes!

11. Crossmen - So glad to see them back in the top 12 this year. Nothing but good things happening there as far as I can tell.

12. Madison Scouts - I can't drop them out of the top 12 because they perform too well, but this year's show was the biggest "miss" of the finalist corps of 2014. A major design revamp is needed.

Honorable mention to Troopers, whom I wish could crack back in, but they'll have to take another big step up in design.

• Like 2

BD designs an amp that really does have an 11.

How do you get the quote to work?

Click the quote button in the bottom right of the post you see. It will show up in the dialog box at the bottom of the page you're on.

You can then edit and type from there.

Also depends on your server. I was having problems for a while, until Garfield suggested I go through Google Chrome. Bingo!! Worked like a charm.

yes

I know...just joshing a little.

If you are on a smart phone (Mobile site), press and hold the post you want to quote for a second. When you release, a Quote button should appear.

Nope, must be my server?