2015 Predictions

I write for and teach two high school bands at present. One of them does the football thing and a half dozen or show band shows. The other one (the larger of the two) does no football whatever. We only do band shows. In fact the band director says "we are not the juke box for the jocks".

No football games. No pep band in winter for basketball.

Just matching band, jazz ensemble (two of them), wind ensemble, and concert band.

A truly"music" program...!

Oh, and no fees of any kind for the kids to participate. :)

If only that was the rule instead of the exception.

• Like 1

You are right, no argument, Just stating my experience. In a way it's worked out for the groups I have been with for many reasons. Mostly not answering to the Board and very good salaries....lol You are right though it is not fair. I was also with a band that could never get a gym in the HS for a winter rehearsal, even though it sat empty most of the time, so we moved onto a middle school and i could be wrong but I do think we paid to have a custodian there until we finished rehearsal at 9pm.

quick story though:

rainy cold fall rehearsal. football team leaves stadium to go to parking lot ( where band was practicing) guard in form back field , Big burly football player says to 80 pound freshman girl " why are you guys doing this in this weather" little girl say's," Maybe if you practiced like we do you might win something " best thing I ever overheard and was glad not to step in. Little girl sent big football player packin...lol

Too, too funny!!! (She sounds like my sister in her freshman year...right down to the physical description.)

• Like 1

I predict............I will always have a greater appreciation for the bus/truck/fleet drivers after driving 10 hours straight over night for a wedding last night/this morning. Don't see how they do that! I'm dying. Major props there. You go.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 1

quick story though:

rainy cold fall rehearsal. football team leaves stadium to go to parking lot ( where band was practicing) guard in form back field , Big burly football player says to 80 pound freshman girl " why are you guys doing this in this weather" little girl say's," Maybe if you practiced like we do you might win something " best thing I ever overheard and was glad not to step in. Little girl sent big football player packin...lol

Girls in school today can grow up and play professional football and have marching bands made up of a lot of men play them onto the field, and perform for fans at their halftime as filler. This girl here has the right stuff attitude wise thats for sure. ( but because of her gender alone she can't march some DCI Corps at present no matter how much she practices, as we all know. )

Edited by BRASSO

New prediction.

The following corps look to be solidly in the top 12 as of today: Blue Devils, Blue Knights, Blue Stars, Bluecoats, Carolina Crown, Crossmen, Madison Scouts, Phantom Regiment, Santa Clara Vanguard, The Cadets, The Cavaliers. That's actually 11 corps.

Who will be that final corps to join the Top 12? The answer is unclear at this point. Obviously, there's a battle between the Troopers and the Boston Crusaders, but The Academy is off to a very strong start this year, and the Oregon Crusaders could jump in there as well. Between the four corps, I would give the edge to Boston, because (1) they have the most Finals experience of these corps, (2) there are several captions, such as color guard and percussion, that are noticeably better than the other corps, and (3) keep in mind that the show is confusing right now because the banners representing the "kingdoms" aren't there yet. Once they are finally added in, I think they will start pulling away from the battle and claim that final spot in the top 12.

This is just my prediction. Any similarity between this and what actually happens by season's end is purely coincidental.

Girls in school today can grow up and play professional football and have marching bands made up of a lot of men play them onto the field, and perform for fans at their halftime as filler. This girl here has the right stuff attitude wise thats for sure. ( but because of her gender alone she can't march some DCI Corps at present no matter how much she practices, as we all know.

Edited by GUARDLING

I write for and teach two high school bands at present. One of them does the football thing and a half dozen or show band shows. The other one (the larger of the two) does no football whatever. We only do band shows. In fact the band director says "we are not the juke box for the jocks".

No football games. No pep band in winter for basketball.

Just matching band, jazz ensemble (two of them), wind ensemble, and concert band.

A truly"music" program...!

Oh, and no fees of any kind for the kids to participate. :)

thats great no fees. WOW!. If i told you 2 of the places I worked and what they charged you would fall off your chair..lol..lets just says its equal and in 1 case more than a DCI WC corps.

I also have 2 bands I have been with that do little if any football games. 1 will go and support till 1/2 time, do a ruun thru then leave. Sad thing is when they leave so do the spectators..lol

1. Cadets

2. Blue devils

3. Carolina crown (if they clean percussion)

4. Bluecoats

5. SCV

6. Cavaliers

7. Blue knights

8. Phantom regiment

9. Blue stars

10. Madison scouts

11. Crossmen

12. Depends on progress through season. Could be SOA, Troopers, or BAC