George Hopkins response to the critics

In fact I addressed before the retreat that we may place third. I have been around a few years and I knew the adjudicators, I knew the situation, and I knew what MIGHT happen. And as a teacher and caretaker for kids, I felt I needed to prepare them.

I did not want to talk about third but I did. I felt it my duty.[/font]

The adjudicators (and many who were at finals) felt that the BC executed better and showed more motivation last night.

• Like 2

The adjudicators (and many who were at finals) felt that the BC executed better and showed more motivation last night.

Yes, and if they averaged the total scores for three nights like they do for captions.....well, that would have been interesting too.

From his FB page:

/snip

BRAVO George. Respect gained for you and the corps.

• Like 1

Yes, and if they averaged the total scores for three nights like they do for captions.....well, that would have been interesting too.

Using three-night scoring averages, it would be:

Blue Devils: 99.05

Cadets: 96.83

Bluecoats: 96.51

• Like 1

Errrrr, I'm torn. I understand where he's coming from and I appreciate the dignity and tradition, but just as the activity has evolved with narration, props, dance moves, trombones, etc, so has the world we live in. The end of retreat marks the end of a grueling wonderful season for all of these performers, many of whom know each other from meeting on tour, marching other corps together, or even marching WGI. It's not the small world it used to be. Kids from Cali march in Canton, kids from Texas march in Cali and so on. Corps are no longer so isolated that performers only know the people in their unit. And really, let's face it - it's a social media world now full of selfies and snapchats and tumblr and facebook. Let them march into the stadium full of pageantry and dignity, but when all is done, give them a chance to move through the ranks to hug and congratulate their friends from other corps and take those all important selfies that capture "that one second" that they will remember the rest of their lives.

My age would qualify me as a dinosaur, but what I wouldn't give to have photos with friends from life moments like that.

• Like 3

Errrrr, I'm torn. I understand where he's coming from and I appreciate the dignity and tradition, but just as the activity has evolved with narration, props, dance moves, trombones, etc, so has the world we live in. The end of retreat marks the end of a grueling wonderful season for all of these performers, many of whom know each other from meeting on tour, marching other corps together, or even marching WGI.

Well, the "evolved" on allowing facial hair, why not this too?

I actually think it might be fun to see all of the other 11 corps crowd the front and sides of the field and watch the encore run. Think about it. Many of these corps have never seen the others perform due to schedules.

I can't even begin to imagine the interplay between the championship group and the urgings of their fellow competitors. It might push them to a performance even greater than the one they won with.

• Like 5