George Hopkins response to the critics

Thank you Mr. Hopkins, for your explanation and I can respect your tradition. I can see the merit in it and yet, there is a missed opportunity to learn a life long skill.

Leaving early looked bad - it made the Cadets look like sore losers when they actually medaled! But worse, it deprived the corps of the the skill of shedding their disappointments and rejoicing in their accomplishments. The Cadets were incredibly clean AND THEY MEDALLED!

Learning to be respectful despite your personal feelings is a life skill. Every kid in the corps shares a common experience and each one knows how it feels to be the darling one day and the goat the next. They share the joys and the aches and the pains. Most of them have friends in every corps.

Don't leave early next year. Teach them not to run. Instead, teach them to shed their disappointments and to rejoice.

Because when the Cadets are the top dogs, the other corps will be able to rejoice with them.

You have my condolences as well, BoyWonder.

When did they stop the tradition of exiting in reverse order of appearance? Is it now the corps' choice when to leave?

It's been gone for at least a decade. In thinking back to finals I attended - in '00 I remember watching both Cadets' and Cavaliers' victory runs but I don't remember other corps playing themselves off.

These days, the announcer just hectors the kids to "clear the field" for like 10 hours before the champion can actually do their performance.

Yes, their show this year was a little stale. That is why they were so far behind the group that won, and also behind another group with a fresher, more exciting show, at the end.

Before you blast me for calling their show "stale", just try to think about what I meant by that. And also put this show next to shows they've done recently, and compare them.

Side x Side was a light year ahead of whatever they did this year. I don't even remember their theme title. Angels and Demons was a much fresher program. etc.

I actually disagree and think this show was very enjoyable. I thought Side by Side was much more stale in comparison but I was never a huge fan of that show either. Just shows how different peoples opinions are and how you can't please everyone.

• Like 1

Well actually the tradition I remember was exiting in reverse order of finals finish, but it ended years ago. I'm going to say at least a decade. You need somebody who aged out the last time it was done or the first time it wasn't to tell you for sure. No traditional finale is another dead horse argument that resurfaces on DCP every so often--see dancing guards, Bb trumpets, electronics, narration, and now trombones--so go for it LOL. DCI ended it because retreat was taking too long, and they wanted to turn out the lights and go back to the hotel.

EDIT: Oh and it sort of is and sort of isn't corps' choice when to leave. The announcer tells them to clear the field about 10-15 minutes after scores are announced. Repeatedly.

I just assume that if DCI organizes the way they enter, they'd organize the way they leave. Not necessarily saying they should play off. But, I guess they don't.

DCI could fix all of this by simply reinstating the old concept of everyone passing in review of the champs and playing themselves out. It was fun for the members and the fans, and kept the process of setting up the field for the champions orderly, rather than the cluster___ it is now.

Edited by Slingerland

It's just that what I got out of GH in that posting was that he was whining about getting 3rd. Telling his kids to be prepared for the world to end.

I think you are taking too many liberties with what was actually said

In fact I addressed before the retreat that we may place third. I have been around a few years and I knew the adjudicators, I knew the situation, and I knew what MIGHT happen. And as a teacher and caretaker for kids, I felt I needed to prepare them.

That doesn't tell you any of the context behind what he actually said to the kids. I wasn't there but I've heard him give that speech before and I can assure you it wasn't whining or preparing the kids for the world to end.

• Like 2

Lol...sheeeesh! ...

You did go at them pretty hard in your o.p., 'W. I can't say I was surprised by the negative feedback (my own included)

Meanwhile, the season is done, for better or worse; hope springs eternal for 2015. Excelsior!

Peace, thanks for the dialogue,

Fred O.

DCI could fix all of this by simply reinstating the old concept of everyone passing in review of the champs and playing themselves out. It was fun for the members and the fans, and kept the process of setting up the field for the champions orderly, rather than the cluster___ it is now.

The problem is that there simply isn't enough time. DCI only has the use of Lucas Oil stadium until a certain time/ There are almost always events on Sunday that require time for stadium conversion and cleanup. Sometimes it's a Colts preseason game, this year it was something else.

Edited by Kamarag

Not sure why this is such a big deal to some people. Everyone should define for themselves the best way to react and behave, without being judged negatively for it. To assume that George and the members of the Cadets 'felt' a certain way or were being disrepectful is just plain wrong. The Cadets organization chose to react in a way that suits them and honors their tradition. As a former Cadet - I can only say that disrepecting competitors is the absoulte opposite of what happened Saturday night. The Cadets have an 80 year history, dating back to pre-WW2. And much of the Cadets traditions are rooted in military traditions. One of these is standing completely still regardless of what is going on around you. Period. The Cadets move, perform and behave as a unit. They react as a unit. The individual is NOT more important than the unit - at least while you are wearing that Cadets uniform! When I marched, we won a couple, we lost a couple. Our reaction was always the same: Wait until everyone leaves the field (if we won) or head back to the buses (if we didn't) before we react.

There are many more traditions the Cadets adhere to - and take pride in (miltary haircuts & no facial hair, for example). THis does not make the Cadets better or worse than another corps, just different. It's what defines them, and that will never change. And as for why they left the field so quickly: the competition was over. the field belonged to the champions. And as the Cadets always have done, they returned to their 'base' (buses) so they could celebrate their season as a unit. I am sure they are not feeing sorry for themselves. They delivered an amazing show, scored an impressive 97, and achieved greatness. If there is any disapointment in dropping to 3rd, I'm sure it is far outweiged by the celebration of what they achieved this summer - a feeling they can all share an enjoy AWAY from the field, in private among their fellow Cadets.

That being said, the Blue Devils and Bluecoats were awesome. They deserved their placements. And they earned the right to celebrate the way they saw fit. What a great night!

Edited by ross6200
  • Like 3