George Hopkins response to the critics

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Phantom also exit right away? It looked like they were doing so as I was leaving the stadium, but we didn't stick around.

It's not like The Cadets haven't come from behind to beat somebody at Finals.

Didn't they do that in 1993?

And who cares, really? The Cadets have 10 gold medals and countless Bronzes and Silvers.

How many do the Bluecoats have? After last night, they now have 1 Bronze and 1 Silver.

It's nice to see an "underdog" corps get medals. It was nice to see Crown get their first Gold. Was awesome to see 'Coats get their 1st silver.

The cheering for the BCoats for the silver had nothing to do with Cadets getting 3rd, that was incidental and we all know it.

And who does George Hopkins think he is, "preparing" his kids for the possibility of a "disappointing" bronze? A lot of corps would kill for the chance at a medal.

Good grief, GH. For crying out loud, if you really thought you could win with that show, then maybe you need to start thinking about shuffling up your design team to get some fresh ideas. Your show design this year was, sorry to say, a little stale. But if you really cared about the activity itself and everything ELSE that goes with it, you wouldn't have been crying a river over it.

Just like the Blue Devils' drum major "we came into this season with one goal in mind". Well of course you did. I said it before, Blue Devils care about winning, everything else is second to that, and now I'm beginning to think the same of The Cadets.

At least Bluecoats' staff put out a show that they knew we would love. They know a medal is never a guarantee, and that show was a RISKY show to do. Thankfully it was enough for the judges.

I'll close by advising all corps to count their blessings.

well...prepping the kids isn't bad. They have been basically 2nd all year, but Hop saw the steam engine called Bluecoats coming. So sure, third could have ben a huge disappointment. I don't see that being elitist, I see it being a realist. Short of redesigning major chunks finals week, what was left for Cadets too besides clean, which they did?

From my view on the fan network, Cadets performed not to lose. Bluecoats performed to beat Cadets. Like him or hate him, Hop's been around long enough to know maybe it wasn't the best it could have been. So props to him for being honest with the kids.

• Like 1

Lol...sheeeesh!

First of all, I do not have a "dislike" for GH. He's one of the best things that have happened to DCI. Some would argue he may be one of the worst things, and I understand their points...but certainly more good than bad.

It's just that what I got out of GH in that posting was that he was whining about getting 3rd. Telling his kids to be prepared for the world to end.

Putting myself in his shoes, yeah I might have done the same thing, but I would probably have said something positive instead, about getting all the way to another medal.

The activity is competitive, sure. I lot of fans like the competitive nature. I do, too, but only to a very certain extent. We all know the judging is mostly opinion based and relative.

So I don't put a whole lot of thought into who scored what, how they ranked, etc. I just want to see shows that I can enjoy a lot. And The Cadets have put out a lot of shows that I have enjoyed immensely.

Yes, their show this year was a little stale. That is why they were so far behind the group that won, and also behind another group with a fresher, more exciting show, at the end.

Before you blast me for calling their show "stale", just try to think about what I meant by that. And also put this show next to shows they've done recently, and compare them.

Side x Side was a light year ahead of whatever they did this year. I don't even remember their theme title. Angels and Demons was a much fresher program. etc.

I was only suggesting that if GH really wanted to keep silver or gold, he should probably find some designers who can add some fresh ideas into the mix. Not suggesting they get rid of Sactig or anything...fresh ideas are what keeps the activity moving, and to be honest, their program was lacking a bit in that department. Blue Devils had the best show theme idea, by far.

My life philosophy has always been to cherish what you have now, and to count your blessings. Anything good that comes in ones life is a bonus and should never be taken for granted.

My mom passed away Friday night from complications from cancer. She was surrounded by family and friends, and went peacefully to one of her favorite songs, sung by her best friend.

I don't mean to put my business out in public like this, I'm normally very private. But I would have gladly exchanged places with GH. There are some things to be disappointed about. Winning a Bronze medal in one of the most difficult, physical and musical activities in the entire world, is not something to be disappointed about.

Having said that, congrats to all the Cadets members for their Bronze medal. I know they worked their a** off. Same with all the other corps. Always appreciate the work they do. I've been there on tour volunteering, I know what they go through.

honestly..here's the biggest thing I don't think you grasp.

the show is ultimately going to be what one man wants it to be. Hopkins himself. It doesn't matter who he has around him

• Like 1

well...prepping the kids isn't bad. They have been basically 2nd all year, but Hop saw the steam engine called Bluecoats coming. So sure, third could have ben a huge disappointment. I don't see that being elitist, I see it being a realist. Short of redesigning major chunks finals week, what was left for Cadets too besides clean, which they did?

From my view on the fan network, Cadets performed not to lose. Bluecoats performed to beat Cadets. Like him or hate him, Hop's been around long enough to know maybe it wasn't the best it could have been. So props to him for being honest with the kids.

Exactly. Whatever his faults, Hop knows this activity and everyone involved with it backwards and forwards. There were plenty of people on DCP who looked at the Saturday panel and said it was favorable for Bluecoats, and surely George and staff knew the same thing. There were plenty of people who commented on the Bluecoats being on fire Saturday night, while the Cadets were a little flat. Again, George knows what that often means when two corps are tenths apart.

So kudos for him for being a realist and talking honestly with his members about the scoring. I think it speaks very well for the Cadets' approach.

Viewing Coats and Cadets' shows in person all three nights, my take is that both corps brought their best each night. Having been at the Cadets' final rehearsal, there is no way they were performing to be safe...their intent was to go out there and bring their best. Judging opinions varied from Thursday to Saturday. Coats were excellent...did not see them as a point and a half better on Saturday (from their Thursday result).

Are there any clips.. anywhere... of retreats with corps playing off?

There are clips on YouTube of Star of Indiana performing for Cadets in 1993 after retreat. Freaking cool, too!
  • Like 1

I completely respect and understand the Cadet's tradition of keeping their composure to the very end, but it is extremely endearing to watch the blue devils, blue coats, and crown hug it out at the end. Not to mention Crossmen's tribute.

It's a relief to watch the love on the field after such a grueling three days.

It humanizes the sport, and calms competitive tension created over the course of the season. And not just in the members! The fans feel it, too!

I don't see any negatives to allow your members the reward of relaxing and enjoying their last moment on the field, but I do see how it hurts that corps image to act so composed. It's hard to relate to...

• Like 2

There are clips on YouTube of Star of Indiana performing for Cadets in 1993 after retreat. Freaking cool, too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skb81d8zo2U

Here's an oldie but a goody from 1987. First Blue Devils, then SCV, play to Garfield before exiting the field. Added bonuses include Tom Float wandering around in his own orbit talking smack to Garfield's drums, as well as SCV's center snare expressing his emotion after a long season.

You also can see several BD members walk over to shake hands, and a few Cadets step forward to do likewise. And for good reason. Standing in the center of BD's horn arc getting your face peeled off was a dream come true. We all clapped politely when they were done -- when what I really wanted to do was jump about ten feet in the air with my arms extended screaming "DEVILS!! F*** YEAH!!!"

Edited by StuStu
  • Like 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skb81d8zo2U

Here's an oldie but a goody from 1987. First Blue Devils, then SCV, play to Garfield before exiting the field. Added bonuses include Tom Float wandering around in his own orbit talking smack to Garfield's drums, as well as SCV's center snare expressing his emotion after a long season.

You also can see several BD members walk over to shake hands, and a few Cadets step forward to do likewise. And for good reason. Standing in the center of BD's horn arc getting your face peeled off was a dream come true. We all clapped politely when they were done -- when what I really wanted to do was jump about ten feet in the air with my arms extended screaming "DEVILS!! F*** YEAH!!!"

YES - one of the highlights of my years as a Cadet. Maybe my life! yes - we stood there motionless, proudly....but my body was screaming BLUE DEVILS!!!!!!

Thanks, Stu Stu for posting! First time I've ever seen this clip! THAT is why the Cadets stand still....to keep from falling over when the Blue Devils are playing in your face! Talk about discipline!

Edited by ross6200
  • Like 1

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Phantom also exit right away? It looked like they were doing so as I was leaving the stadium, but we didn't stick around.

I don't know. The Cadets started leaving three minutes after Blue Devils's score was announced.

They left in about 4 1/2 minutes in 2013 and 4 1/4 in 2012.

It probably wouldn't have caused a hubbub if it wasn't for the context of their dropping to 3rd and if the camera hadn't been pointing their way as they were leaving in the background while the foreground was the 'Coats and BD were congratulating each other.

About five minutes after the score, several other corps were leaving. Maybe Phantom was one of them.

• Like 1