The real 2014 Legacy...

The year Drum Corps fans finally accept that when done well, electronics can and does enhance a show.

Take a bow the 2014 Bluecoats.

• Like 5

We are going to have a wait a couple years for all the cheese to reach maturity.

• Like 1

We are going to have a wait a couple years for all the cheese to reach maturity.

Yes some of the best cheese is aged.

The year Drum Corps fans finally accept that when done well, electronics can and does enhance a show.

I don't entirely agree. While I enjoyed the ending as much as the next guy, I never felt that it compensated for the heavy-handed synthesizer the rest of the show.

• Like 1

To me, there is no doubt that Bluecoats use of electronics, along with some excellent overall show programming and musical scoring for brass and drums, has turned a number of heads even more so than in years past. If we look at the legacy of this season of competition (2014) I do believe the Bluecoats' show design, electronics and all, is front and center as part of that legacy.

But if we look at the legacy of this summer from a design perspective I think a number of things will be remembered:

• Bluecoats show theme and design (with excellent integration of electronics and props)
  • Blue Devils continued integration of drill with staging, and the coordination of that with music and impeccable showmanship
  • I also believe 2014 will be a year where it became even more apparent that demand isn't the only thing that matters. Many of us have always known this, but there was a time when it mattered more than now. It was very clear this past summer that you need to be CLEAN or it's not going to matter what you're doing. I believe we will continue to see competitors come out with a clean sketch of the show, and then add layers as they progress. We saw Cadets add to the guard uniforms, cummerbunds (which I thought were awesome); we saw Bluecoats add layers to the show and then change the ending; Cavaliers made huge strides with their show all season by adding layers to a much-improved sketch that they opened the season with; and even Phantom Regiment finished strong by re-writing and refining what they had.

The negatives I take away from this past summer are:

1. Still too much body movement. It's becoming too cliche and seems forced and, in some cases, completely ridiculous. Just what exactly is the audience supposed to read into some of those moves? In most cases the body movement and posing has been nothing more than a plea for points and GE. "Oh, look at us, we just added GE to our show...isn't that exciting." Sheesh.
  2. Many of the corps still use TOO MUCH electronic bass. Cadets and BD had the electronic bass pushed WAY up for Finals. It took away from the brass, was not balanced, and took away from the effect of the show (not that you'd know with BD's score). Many in the audience think the corps are cheating. I know that's not really the case, but those who are not in this business think the corps are cheating to get a bigger bass because the tubas can't handle it.
  3. Traditional drill writing is beginning to become a lost art.
  4. Still too many shows that lose the crowd for BIG chunks of time. Some of this is not understanding the material (caused by corps that program complex themes), and some is bad design causing a lack of GE. GE scores, sadly, are not reflecting this.
  5. Programming a closer that can really finish a show in grand fashion continues to be a lost art. Only a few corps were able to bring the crowd to there feet (not the polite standing O everyone gets), or to get the crowd to oooh and aaahhh in a manner that made the whole experience worthwhile by the end of the show.
  • Like 6

2014: The year the G7 won, sort of:

One of their own used electronics to thunderous applause

Trombones and horns appeared on the field, and no one died. The ground is softened for woodwinds

And once again, the G7 finished in 1st through 7th place, intact, the last of its flock jumping from 8th to 7th on finals night

Except . . .

The G8-20 had perhaps their best year ever. Sophistication of show design; performance excellence; show attendance between the regionals -- all of it stronger than ever. Quality and fan interest was up across the board, not just at the upper end of it.

• Like 1

To me, there is no doubt that Bluecoats use of electronics, along with some excellent overall show programming and musical scoring for brass and drums, has turned a number of heads even more so than in years past. If we look at the legacy of this season of competition (2014) I do believe the Bluecoats' show design, electronics and all, is front and center as part of that legacy.

But if we look at the legacy of this summer from a design perspective I think a number of things will be remembered:

• Bluecoats show theme and design (with excellent integration of electronics and props)
  • Blue Devils continued integration of drill with staging, and the coordination of that with music and impeccable showmanship
  • I also believe 2014 will be a year where it became even more apparent that demand isn't the only thing that matters. Many of us have always known this, but there was a time when it mattered more than now. It was very clear this past summer that you need to be CLEAN or it's not going to matter what you're doing. I believe we will continue to see competitors come out with a clean sketch of the show, and then add layers as they progress. We saw Cadets add to the guard uniforms, cummerbunds (which I thought were awesome); we saw Bluecoats add layers to the show and then change the ending; Cavaliers made huge strides with their show all season by adding layers to a much-improved sketch that they opened the season with; and even Phantom Regiment finished strong by re-writing and refining what they had.

1. Still too much body movement. It's becoming too cliche and seems forced and, in some cases, completely ridiculous. Just what exactly is the audience supposed to read into some of those moves? In most cases the body movement and posing has been nothing more than a plea for points and GE. "Oh, look at us, we just added GE to our show...isn't that exciting." Sheesh.
  2. Many of the corps still use TOO MUCH electronic bass. Cadets and BD had the electronic bass pushed WAY up for Finals. It took away from the brass, was not balanced, and took away from the effect of the show (not that you'd know with BD's score). Many in the audience think the corps are cheating. I know that's not really the case, but those who are not in this business think the corps are cheating to get a bigger bass because the tubas can't handle it.
  4. Still too many shows that lose the crowd for BIG chunks of time. Some of this is not understanding the material (caused by corps that program complex themes), and some is bad design causing a lack of GE. GE scores, sadly, are not reflecting this.
  5. Programming a closer that can really finish a show in grand fashion continues to be a lost art. Only a few corps were able to bring the crowd to there feet (not the polite standing O everyone gets), or to get the crowd to oooh and aaahhh in a manner that made the whole experience worthwhile by the end of the show.

I absolutely agree with everything you said. I will add that overall, gimmick is slowly replacing fundamentals. I am not saying it is less entertaining though. The ooooh ahhh moments are achieved in different ways, e.g., an electronic one-person-pushing-a-button pitch bend.

• Like 1

A great post below. Right on the money. My comments are in italics.

I'll respond by saying that demand has never mattered less in DCI history than it does today, which has made corps risk-averse to challenge, and willing to risk more with things like props, pictures, or other heavy-handed tactics to artificially inflate a GE that once was generated by corps doing things that made one's jaw drop. Demand should be at least as important as how clean it is. Until DCI concertedly elevates the importance of demand, we'll get more unfortunate substitutes for demand, like jump-the-shark props and visuals, like more filler, goofy, or downright ridiculous body movement.

Absofrickenlutely correct. 90% of the body movement that I see is mainly an avoidance of difficult drill or music. It is geeky at best, disturbing at worst, but almost always more distracting and disappointing than anything else. If we don't want guard members to pick up trumpets or snares - for obvious reasons - why do we try to turn a horn line into a bad junior high school dance team?

1. Many of the corps still use TOO MUCH electronic bass. Cadets and BD had the electronic bass pushed WAY up for Finals. It took away from the brass, was not balanced, and took away from the effect of the show (not that you'd know with BD's score). Many in the audience think the corps are cheating. I know that's not really the case, but those who are not in this business think the corps are cheating to get a bigger bass because the tubas can't handle it.

I remember the first time I heard the bass hit from Phantom's Saint-Saens Organ Symphony show in the early 90s I think, and I heard that deep, rich orchestral sound, I almost wept at the effect, and I'll never forget my college friend who was with me, a guy who'd never been in band or seen drum corps, audibly gasping at the awesome sound. Any amplification or augmentation of brass sound is anathema to me. Would the Cleveland Orchestra add electronic bass to supplement their double basses and low brass? Would the audience tolerate it? It would be ridiculed in Severance Hall, and in the press. I want to hear the great brass of BD, Cadets, Crown, etc., not thunderous goo.

1. Traditional drill writing is beginning to become a lost art.

As expected. We've entered a risk-averse era of sleight-of-hand 'demand', snippets of difficult drill, almost always when the corps isn't playing, and while 'staging' is entertaining, it is nothing like the physical and musical feat that made drum corps unique, and impressed audiences that were much larger than today.

1. Still too many shows that lose the crowd for BIG chunks of time. Some of this is not understanding the material (caused by corps that program complex themes), and some is bad design causing a lack of GE. GE scores, sadly, are not reflecting this.

See the above point. I never remember audience disinterest in great music and great drill, a run-and-gun style, and high demand. Do we forget that the kids are performing on a football field. There, people come to expect pushing-the-envelope challenge. We used to have something like smash mouth drum corps. Now we have a style that better matches Blast! than anything else, and audiences treat the field like they'd treat a theater production - polite attention, applause at the end, and very rarely, an ovation (see below for some of the reasons).

1. Programming a closer that can really finish a show in grand fashion continues to be a lost art. Only a few corps were able to bring the crowd to there feet (not the polite standing O everyone gets), or to get the crowd to oooh and aaahhh in a manner that made the whole experience worthwhile by the end of the show.
  • Like 1

Good comments mostly spot on.

Several other corps have demonstrated that electronics can and do enhance shows. However, few corps have done it as masterfully as the Bluecoats have,

• Like 4