Fans jump up in acceptance of electronics.

it didnt? did you hear and see the arena? Oh it worked BIG TIME..

That is not what I said...was there all three nights. There were 30+ head to head shows during the season where the electronics and pitch bend did not work to place the Coats above the Cadets.....only happened once.

Back in mid-July they were pegged at 5th after a few shows. There were lots of reactions here. I'd say something changed for them between then and finals.

I'd say that something changed for Coats between Semis and Finals....not before, in terms of placement. The fans would have placed them above Cadets far earlier in the season.

That is not what I said...was there all three nights. There were 30+ head to head shows during the season where the electronics and pitch bend did not work to place the Coats above the Cadets.....only happened once.

I got what you said. Im just saying I saw it many many times this summer and it was a great effect all summer Did it put them above Cadets? probably not, did it do exactly what it was supposed to do at the right time..yup

but as you said if it pushed them above cadets ( I doubt ) but if it did and only worked once , it surely worked at the right time. and thats how corps write shows and for what time of year.

Edited by GUARDLING

I've just gotten back into this stuff this year (after being away for 30 years). Me and my dad had a hard time adjusting to all the field props, the use of electronics, all the 'interpretive dancing', the voiceovers and narration, some of the weird themes, and all the other stuff. It took me some time and mental adjustment, but I'm finally at peace with most of it. I figure that I've gone to rock concerts over the years where they use all kinds of electronics in their shows, so maybe I shouldn't get so bent out of shape when corps use it tastefully to enhance the show. But while I am okay with some of the stuff, some of it is undeniably a bit dumb and dorky.

My dad did make one little observation though. When I was in the corps, we used to march everywhere...as we entered/exited the field, and everywhere we went. We stayed in formation and held our composure. We never wandered around casually until we were out of sight of the public. Not a big deal, just an observation.

Beyond that, I am still bewildered how they judge and score these things (esp. with all these new weird factors involved).

Edited by michaelwriting

I no longer concern myself with current DCI being either drum corps or band. Doesn't matter to me. It's pretty much neither, I think. All I find important is, does this thrill me? Does it keep my interest, is it something I would pay for, and something my next door neighbor would enjoy?

Simple answer . . . . ABSOLUTELY!

I loved television ever since I was a kid during the 50s. As it turns out, television is no longer presented in black & white, with crappy sound. Of course, I can still enjoy black & white movies and shows, it's just that my new, 65" UHD TV is more exciting, and I am pleased I have something even MORE impressive for me to marvel over in today's life. I'm content.

• Like 4

To my ears, most of the amplification detracts from the show. I liked the 20 seconds of pitch bend, especially the first few times I heard it, but it wore on me a bit, and I would have loved even more to hear what they could have done with their chops instead. I've never heard anyone but a soloist try a pitch bend, but a great brass line like the Coats - they could have done it.

So no, I'm not a fan of amplification. Narration is just a part of it.

If there is any electronics, it should be applied in dribs and drabs, and should never augment or cover the brass sound, but add another voice of counterpoint.

In fact, all brass samples should be banned from DCI, so no one could try to imitate wind instruments, just add other 'instruments' to the mix here and there, more like counterpoint than unison.

The EASY button wins over fans. Sorry, I will always take unplugged to plugged. I think it simply diminishes all the really awesome talent that is out there and that is truly sad IMHO. The quiet that we used to get is no longer there as something is always pounding through the speakers and ruining special quiet moments. It's here to stay, embrace it if you wish, I will not. If I want amps I can go to a rock concert.

• Like 1

Electronic effects detract from the corps' performance. There; I said it!

• Like 2

The EASY button wins over fans. Sorry, I will always take unplugged to plugged. I think it simply diminishes all the really awesome talent that is out there and that is truly sad IMHO. The quiet that we used to get is no longer there as something is always pounding through the speakers and ruining special quiet moments. It's here to stay, embrace it if you wish, I will not. If I want amps I can go to a rock concert.

I don't remember "the quiet we used to get." I remember there always being some jerk who screams during a quiet moment so he can hear himself on the record.

• Like 3

So can we finally say Electronics is good for Drum Corps? I think the fans love of Bluecoats should put the argument to rest. People could not stand fast enough in Lucas Oil for the push of a button so I think this proves Electronics and amplification of the pit did not kill Drum Corps.

Nope. Still hate it. Thanks for playing.

• Like 2