The Troopers, the American Legion, and a Rebuttal

If there's a connection to Troopers and this topic, by all means continue the DCA programming discussion. But if not, please save it or move it over to the appropriate board. My brain can handle only one thought at a time. Thank you. :juggle:

The DCA stuff was entirely on topic--the point being, is the supposedly old-timey music the Troopers performs more suited to senior and/or alumni audiences? (with a couple posts clarifying an important distinction between those two audiences)--but has now been addressed.

• Like 1

The DCA stuff was entirely on topic--the point being, is the supposedly old-timey music the Troopers performs more suited to senior and/or alumni audiences? (with a couple posts clarifying an important distinction between those two audiences)--but has now been addressed.

I do think that everything old can be done again just updated to 2014 in many ways. The problem is fans. When something is re- done many don't accept the newer version of something, I guess because they just relate or compare it to what they remember instead of judging it on it's own merits.

• Like 1

Pioneer finished ahead of the Troopers most recently in 2001 (and were mere tenths away from doing it again in 2005). Not exactly ancient history.

2001 ? 2001 only has relevance if you believe the Colts are going to finish ahead of Carolina Crown sometime again in your lifetime ( as the Colts did in 2001 ). I wouldn't hold my breath on this happening if I was you. And I'll stick by my prediction that Pioneer will never top the Troopers again, and the Troopers will never beat the Blue Devils again... and such placements won't have anything at all to do with the music these 3 Corps will select in the future, whether it will be something old, something new, or something borrowed.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

As someone who has been critical of Troopers the last 6 years, I have no problems with the direction they have chosen to take.

Thanks for the response. These appear to be contradictory ideas. Maybe I'm dense, but I don't know how you can be critical of Troopers since 2008 and also have no problems with their direction at the same time.

I get your points about the flow of the 2014 show, and I've heard similar critiques elsewhere. But the argument I have chosen to confront here is different, namely, the claim that Troop's show belongs in 1977, not 2014 -- for musical/stylistic reasons, not because of any flaws internal to the show itself.

2001 ? 2001 only has relevance if you believe the Colts are going to finish ahead of Carolina Crown sometime again in your lifetime ( as the Colts did in 2001 ). I wouldn't hold my breath on this happening if I was you. And I'll stick by my prediction that Pioneer will never top the Troopers again, and the Troopers will never beat the Blue Devils again... and such placements won't have anything at all to do with the music these 3 Corps will select in the future, whether it will be something old, something new, or something borrowed.

What nonsense.

In 2001 Carolina Crown tied their highest placement ever (10th) and had their highest score ever up to that point (86.95). 12 years later they won DCI.

In 1988 Madison Scouts won DCI with their highest Finals score ever. 13 years later in 2001, they were barely in Finals (11th, their lowest finish in almost 30 years).

In 2001 the Glassmen were 5th. Now they don't exist.

10-12 years is an AGE in DCI terms. Who are you to say the Blue Stars and the Academy won't be challenging for medals by 2025? Or Pioneer over Troopers?

By 2025, I'll say the Blue Devils will still not have placed lower than 5th. :tounge2: Other than that, everything is up in the air.

I get your points about the flow of the 2014 show, and I've heard similar critiques elsewhere. But the argument I have chosen to confront here is different, namely, the claim that Troop's show belongs in 1977, not 2014 -- for musical/stylistic reasons, not because of any flaws internal to the show itself.

You are still harping on a throwaway comment made by a Crossmen supporter about their chief rival in the finals race?

You are still harping on a throwaway comment made by a Crossmen supporter about their chief rival in the finals race?

And not for nothing, but the Crossmen have had their own problems with trying to adapt with the times through the years. (and frankly, I believe, still do)

Honestly, I don't know anything about the person who made the comment. And it may have been a throwaway -- to them. But it is a remark that is heard, in one form or another, frequently. I attempted to demonstrate that it has no factual basis, in order that we might get at the real reasons why this rather widespread characterization of Troopers persists. I believe it is harmful.

Shall I assume that you ARE still allowing for the possiblity of "something blue," however?

What nonsense.

Ok... we'll put you down that the Colts will beat Carolina Crown sometime again in your lifetime, and those of us that disagree on this are talking " nonsense ".