MADISON SCOUTS 2015

I agree Boz! The Corps is high energy and I feel like that is increasing as they gain confidence with this product. But yeah, that "gotta dance" voice drives me nuts. If they took it out entirely, I don't think it would hurt the show at all. I do like how they replaced it

at the end of the show with reprising the MGM Lion roar. Anyway, I love this show and it's growing on me big time!

I mean, don't get me wrong, my Blue Stars will pull ahead in the end :-) but seriously I haven't been entertained by the Scouts like this for a long time, and it was so refreshing.

• Like 2

I think people will enjoy Saturday.

I mean, don't get me wrong, my Blue Stars will pull ahead in the end :-) but seriously I haven't been entertained by the Scouts like this for a long time, and it was so refreshing.

That could happen....it seems to have played out this way in other seasons when they were this close. But I wonder if Scouts' improved

Color Guard and Visual/GE will keep them in the game more than before. Either way, I do like that the two Wisconsin Corps are this close....it

makes it far more interesting than a blow-out.

• Like 1

That could happen....it seems to have played out this way in other seasons when they were this close. But I wonder if Scouts' improved

Color Guard and Visual/GE will keep them in the game more than before. Either way, I do like that the two Wisconsin Corps are this close....it

I could see both passing a corps or two myself.

I do not remember which rain-out show that was live-streamed as a stand still concert. It wasnt until then that I feel I really heard the talent depth of the horn line. Compared to Blue Stars in that venue, it wasn't even close. Hearing that caused me to pay more attention to the show. Other than really not caring for Happy Days/Come on Get Happy, the arrangements sound fresh. The use of NYC near the end is wonderful. That said, the show just seems all over the map to me. Though I know "Singing in the Rain" quite well- watched it again three days ago, the shows theme is hard to follow. If the show was a claer tribute to Gene Kelly, or a drum corps take on famous dance segements from that era of film, I think the theme might have been easier to follow. I am glad they put the roar at the end. The fidelity however needs to be improved. The guard preesence if much better. The visual is okay for me, but the drums are much too removed from the drill most of the time. It is hard to ignore in that drumlines, due to the nature of all of the hardware, look visually heavy. I do think they can make effective chages without gutting anything. I am not sure that there is room above them for movement up.

Edited by yellvanguard

Scouts color guard seemed really spot on and clean, definitely an improvement from previous years. It will be a very close battle between these two corps this year. Nail biting! I love it!

• Like 1

I really hope both Corps move up in the ranks over the next several years (and stay there)! So much great history

and tradition between the two. I think the key more than anything, is to keep the talented staffs that they both have

in place now.

• Like 1

As a full-time professional artist, I call b.s. on the above assertion that Munch's "The Scream" has more depth than the bowl of fruit. You are comparing 2 entirely different styles and intents. The bowl of fruit is a purely representational painting and "The Scream" is an expressionist painting. Anyone who claims that one style is inherently better or more sophisticated than another, is literally comparing apples and oranges. ...

Anyway, my overall point is, the bowl of fruit should be able to win as much as "The Scream" if it is performed well enough. If not, then we have a lot of conformity going on. Do we want that?

Thanks for this. Stunning that it had to be said, though.

• Like 1

By simple orchestration I mean the show uses the same basic chords in the same basic keys. There is little layering and environmental demand to bump up the difficulty, and what they do play is all the same thing in different contexts. To my ears, at least. This was a common topic on DCP back in 2012, when Crown had a killer brass line that basically only played variations on Bb major chords, whereas Blue Devils, with maybe a technically inferior group, went all over as far as key, as far as what types of complex chords they were playing, and all that. To try and rescue this failed art analogy, Scouts show is one very pleasing shade of yellow. I want some blues and greens and oranges and reds. It has nothing to do with whether the show is happy or sad or dark or whatever, it all is related to how they choose to express their theme. And right now they're doing so very blandly for my taste.

It's good that you emphasize, more than once, that what you're expressing is a matter of personal taste. And nothing wrong with that. But plenty of painters have created works using highly limited palettes that are generally considered to be masterpieces.