MADISON SCOUTS 2015

Careful Lincoln. He's just a troll that will do nothing but come in here and complain about the corps with no knowledge, and no basis for his comments, except maybe watching a youtube video, I wouldn't feed him.

Some of the posts in the predictions thread are sort of saying the same thing. I don't agree with those either.

I am really intrigued by what this show will be. The clips we've heard from the hornline and now the battery don't really mesh. I thought the battery clip sounded like a cadence but apparently it is part of the Opener.

I really think Madison is primed for a great year - one where they can separate and make their way up past a few groups.

I don't believe the 2 segments happen at the same time. I also didn't see anything from them saying they do, so it may just be 2 segments from parts of the show.

With the hires on the Design team why not. KC Michel and David Veda did great work at Phantom. We will see in June

That we will. I'd love to be proven wrong.

I'd love to be proven wrong.

Lol. I see what you did there. Pretending to have hope for the corps...

Lol. I see what you did there. Pretending to have hope for the corps...

You're right, I have zero hope that I will be. Nothing in the last 15 years points to this one being much different. I'm just calling a spade a spade. If that makes me a troll, so be it.

You're right, I have zero hope that I will be. Nothing in the last 15 years points to this one being much different. I'm just calling a spade a spade. If that makes me a troll, so be it.

So the changes made in 2010 didn't help? The changes in the fall of 2014 won't help? You honestly believe bringing back much of the talent from the 2014 staff, along with KC Michel, David Veda, and Scott Boerma coming back, as well as the additions to the staff that will be new in 2015 won't help?

I guess we're all entitled to our own opinion, but the one you expressed is comical.

As for the troll thing, sorry dude, that's all this crap that you write is. You don't support your corps in any way on this site. I am sure you haven't supported the corps in any way since you aged out-financially or volunteering. You simply write things from your account on here, and probably have never addressed a single concern with people that are teaching and running the corps who can actually listen to your thoughts and possibly take ideas from you. I've written emails, made phone calls, spoken to people with the corps at shows, rehearsals, and at Macy's, and I can tell you first hand that they listen and want to hear from people.

It takes less time than writing a post on here, and will actually make a difference.

• Like 2

So the changes made in 2010 didn't help? The changes in the fall of 2014 won't help? You honestly believe bringing back much of the talent from the 2014 staff, along with KC Michel, David Veda, and Scott Boerma coming back, as well as the additions to the staff that will be new in 2015 won't help?

I guess we're all entitled to our own opinion, but the one you expressed is comical.

As for the troll thing, sorry dude, that's all this crap that you write is. You don't support your corps in any way on this site. I am sure you haven't supported the corps in any way since you aged out-financially or volunteering. You simply write things from your account on here, and probably have never addressed a single concern with people that are teaching and running the corps who can actually listen to your thoughts and possibly take ideas from you. I've written emails, made phone calls, spoken to people with the corps at shows, rehearsals, and at Macy's, and I can tell you first hand that they listen and want to hear from people.

It takes less time than writing a post on here, and will actually make a difference.

First off, you obviously haven't gone back and read many of my posts, beyond the ones you want to respond to. My tune has changed DRASTICALLY in the past couple of years. I used to be one of those cheerleaders and "hype-artists", but I came to the stark realization that the Scouts have spent more time outside the Top 6 than they've spent in it in the last 25 years...and almost entirely for the past 15 (6th in 2005). I had hope...but that hope is long gone. They just aren't drawing the talent to keep up with the big dogs. Couple that with poor visual design and a woefully underperforming guard, and you have systematic issues that will continue to plague the corps. If Jim Mason couldn't right the ship, it's very unlikely to happen at this point.

Real talk, bro.

p.s. You can make all the assumptions you want, but I've volunteered my time to pull the corps out of a tough situation more than once, given my skill set. Not just them, but Boston and Teal Sound as well.

Edited by BigBadMadMan
  • Like 1

First off, you obviously haven't gone back and read many of my posts, beyond the ones you want to respond to. My tune has changed DRASTICALLY in the past couple of years. I used to be one of those cheerleaders and "hype-artists", but I came to the stark realization that the Scouts have spent more time outside the Top 6 than they've spent in it in the last 25 years...and almost entirely for the past 15 (6th in 2005). I had hope...but that hope is long gone. They just aren't drawing the talent to keep up with the big dogs. Couple that with poor visual design and a woefully underperforming guard, and you have systematic issues that will continue to plague the corps. If Jim Mason couldn't right the ship, it's very unlikely to happen at this point.

Real talk, bro.

p.s. You can make all the assumptions you want, but I've volunteered my time to pull the corps out of a tough situation more than once, given my skill set. Not just them, but Boston and Teal Sound as well.

I've read more than my share of your posts, and no, I'm not going to go back many years. I simply find it sad that you would bail on the corps simply because they have not been a perennial Top 6 corps in a very long time.

Furthermore, if you feel that strongly about their placement, why even come into the thread about the corps? Why even comment? I'll be honestly, I'm not thrilled that the corps hasn't placed where they used to, but at the same time, I really don't care about that. Didn't when I marched, and I really don't now. Reason being, I know that the lessons the guys are learning on and off the field are the right lessons.

I'm sure the corps appreciates your driving abilities, I know I certainly do, as that is outside my skill set.

I'm just pointing out the simple fact that your recent posts, which you referred to have been largely negative, so why bother?

You bring up volunteering for the corps, which again, I appreciate people that do that, but why not send Chris Komnick, Dann Peterson(who clearly you know well having marched with him), Gregg Auby, a message. Voice your concern, they'll listen.

I fired off an email to Gregg Auby days after finals and had a response within minutes, and the funny thing is, many of the thoughts I had are changes that came in the fall. I'm not suggesting it is because of me by any means, but I appreciate that they took the time to listen, and respond.

As for James Mason, I had higher hopes as well, and the same hype happened when Sal/Cesario came in for the fall of 2003. My point is that at least they're making an effort to fix things.

I just don't understand why the energy is taken on here to criticize and defeat what they're doing in March, when it could be better spent contacting people that have some control over things.

As for the visual program and guard, from what I experienced with the current members at Macy's and watching the corps last summer, mixed with the new people coming in for 2015, I am sure that area of the corps will be vastly improved over 2014.

The hard thing too is that those aspects of the corps may not have been given good numbers, but they were talented and performed a high level. Did they in the judges eyes, no, but let's be honest, hasn't that been the case many times in the corps history?

• Like 1

I'm critical because I'm tired of sugar-coating it or making excuses. This is a competitive activity. You know who doesn't survive very long? Corps who are trying to compete with the Top 6 budget as they continually fail to compete on the field. It's no real surprised that we've lost over 200 some odd corps in the last 15-20 years.

But I guess we could all pat backs and say "hey, at least the crowd liked it" and continue to bury our heads in the sand to avoid the reality of the situation. I'm not in charge and I don't expect anyone who is to give a flying flip about what I think. But, this is a discussion forum, so I'm discussing. I'm not pretentious enough to think my opinion matters to anyone anyway. It's just another viewpoint from an alum who is sick and tired of seeing something I love circling the drain. Why set yourself up for the disappointment?

Must be what it's like being a Cubs fan.

Edited by BigBadMadMan
  • Like 2

I too am not a percussion person but have been around the activity for five decades and have seen instructors use various styles and tricks for instructing.

While I have heard of the different type of drum heads, I wonder. Would an instructor start the line off with a wetter, deeper sound for the winter camps; once the line becomes more astute with the arrangements and more accomplished as an ensemble, might their drum heads be switched to the type which gives a more crisp sound?

This would be similar to how brass and drill people teach the visuals at a slower tempo only to increase the tempo once the line has become more accomplished.

I wonder too if the resonance of the stadium also has a major factor in the choice of which of the two types of drum heads are chosen?

Lucas Oil seems to need a deeper low brass sound; therefore many corps have increased their number of baritones, euphoniums, and tubas. Synchs are also used to support this.

Might drum heads float the same way to the ear???

Edited by xandandl