Why doesnt DCI allow fans to vote?

Ha ha! You don't think that if a vote like this really mattered, the BD staff could find a way to max out these "sheets" also?

oh yes corps like BD know how to win, plain and simple, BUT sheets have a criteria, a fan vote is simply that, no criteria, not necessarily the best corps or even entertaining corps just who can muster up enough votes on a given night. Even alot of these reality shows many times alot of the good ones get cut long before the end with a fan vote.Gone are the days of the spectator, everyone needs to be the participant. Threre's a whole study on that that isnt very flattering.but amuzing .lol

a fan vote is simply that, no criteria, not necessarily the best corps or even entertaining corps just who can muster up enough votes on a given night

BOOM. this here is whats up. And how does one market what they cannot predict in any way shape or form? Is the "Drum Corps International Idol" bad for business? Does it work counterintuitively to their current idea of G7 marketing? (like a G6, like a G6...)

Isn't this whole exercise about proving to DCI that they don't know beans about what fans want? Isn't it really a way to, under the guise of "fan engagement", show that the judging system is crap? Isn't it the unspoken hope of proponents that the "fan favorite" will be the 7th or 12th placing corps, thereby proving that the judging system has to be changed?

(Not that there's anything wrong with any of that, per se.)

But really, DCI will put into place a system that can potentially shine light on the flaws of their system?

Really? Can you imagine the outcry from just DCP, let alone the vitriolic Facebook pages, the first time the fan favorite is NOT the winning corps?

Something tells me this is a non-starter for that reason alone.

• Like 1

Please forgive me if this topic has been created or has already been discussed to death, I took a 2 year hiatus from DCP from 2011 to 2013 and there is a possibility that this topic has already been addressed, but here goes.

I understand the judging system and competitive nature of DCI and the reasons behind why the organisation is the way it is. I love the competitiveness and I hope it never changes. I love how certain corps obtain caption awards despite not being in 1st place overall, and I love the focus that DCI has on excellence, and the rewards associated with high levels of performance.

My question is, why is there not a special award that fans can give out? Why doesnt DCI let you text them (only one vote per registered phone number) your favorite show? Why isnt there a fan-favorite award? I think it would be so interesting and rewarding for a corps that may not be the most proficient and innovative on the field to receive a "everyone liked your show the most" award.

I feel this would be very easy to do... Heck reality shows do it all the time by having people vote in with a phone and then awarding a particular person who has the most votes. Why doesnt DCI do this? Even if they were to only allow participants who were actually live at the stadium, who could, upon the ending of the show, text a specific number their vote (which number would only be disclosed after the event is over, and the judges are determining scores anyways) of who they enjoyed watching/hearing the most?

We could even create sub captions. Who had the most entertaining show visually, or musically, or who had the greatest "wow" factor or "best uniforms" or whatever, but something that would give fans the option of giving their $.02.

What do you guys think? Why doesnt DCI do this?

Sorry for being so late in responding to this initial point. It has not been because of laxity or procrastination, but rather a matter of weighing my thoughts.

When I pay my money for a drum and bugle corps show, I pay it in anticipation of observing several distinct corps, each with their own styles and idiosyncrasies, yet each with their own message of which they are trying to convey. The messages, methods, and degree of success varies -- sometimes mildly -- and in other cases, wildly. I have my favorites...let us call them "sentimental" favorites. Those who, over time, have captured my fancy either through: how often I've seen them; the style of music which they have programmed over the years; or the particular style or "bearing" which they, as a corps, have chosen to employ. That does not mean, however, that I am not open to those corps who don't habitate my "sentimental" list. Instead, there have been units which, over the years, have made me sit up and admit "I've been a total moron for not recognizing this group over the years."

Now, with all that being said...it has never occurred to me -- even once -- that I received less than my ".02" worth in exchange for the amount which I initially shelled out for the ticket. Maybe I'm fortunate...maybe I'm a rare bird...but in every case that I can possibly think of, I have received many-times-ten-fold the amount of entertainment, enlightenment, and inspiration from whatever dollars I expended for the experience. I don't need to "have a voice" in who my particular favorite corps, brass line, percussion line, color guard, or design team is in order to render it a positive experience. And to do so, quite frankly, would be offensive to my nature. ALL the units at that show played a part in my experience. To name one particular group ahead of all the rest (even those on my aforementioned "sentimental favorite listing") would be to denigrate the efforts and contributions of the other groups. And for what? Just so that I, ONE mere member of a much larger audience, can feel that having such an opportunity would render my experience as being a "positive" one?

No thank you. With all respect and regard...no thank you. If others feel the need to do this in order to make their experience "complete," then go ahead. I, however, will not be of that number.

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 2

BOOM. this here is whats up. And how does one market what they cannot predict in any way shape or form? Is the "Drum Corps International Idol" bad for business? Does it work counterintuitively to their current idea of G7 marketing? (like a G6, like a G6...)

those corps know how to work any system ( to their credit ) fan fav. I have no problem with a silly vote, add points to an out come HELL NO!

Sorry for being so late in responding to this initial point. It has not been because of laxity or procrastination, but rather a matter of weighing my thoughts.

When I pay my money for a drum and bugle corps show, I pay it in anticipation of observing several distinct corps, each with their own styles and idiosyncrasies, yet each with their own message of which they are trying to convey. The messages, methods, and degree of success varies -- sometimes mildly -- and in other cases, wildly. I have my favorites...let us call them "sentimental" favorites. Those who, over time, have captured my fancy either through: how often I've seen them; the style of music which they have programmed over the years; or the particular style or "bearing" which they, as a corps, have chosen to employ. That does not mean, however, that I am not open to those corps who don't habitate my "sentimental" list. Instead, there have been units which, over the years, have made me sit up and admit "I've been a total moron for not recognizing this group over the years."

Now, with all that being said...it has never occurred to me -- even once -- that I received less than my ".02" worth in exchange for the amount which I initially shelled out for the ticket. Maybe I'm fortunate...maybe I'm a rare bird...but in every case that I can possibly think of, I have received many-times-ten-fold the amount of entertainment, enlightenment, and inspiration from whatever dollars I expended for the experience. I don't need to "have a voice" in who my particular favorite corps, brass line, percussion line, color guard, or design team is in order to render it a positive experience. And to do so, quite frankly, would be offensive to my nature. ALL the units at that show played a part in my experience. To name one particular group ahead of all the rest (even those on my aforementioned "sentimental favorite listing") would be to denigrate the efforts and contributions of the other groups. And for what? Just so that I, ONE mere member of a much larger audience, can feel that having such an opportunity would render my experience as being a "positive" one?

No thank you. With all respect and regard...no thank you. If others feel the need to do this in order to make their experience "complete," then go ahead. I, however, will not be of that number.

:thumbup::thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

They already allow the fans to vote...it's called the market place. Did you see the line for Bluecoats souvies this year :-)

A bizzilion likes to you oldbandguy!

Also, DCI has already tested fan voting at the early TOC shows. It didn't work because fans don't represent a good enough cross section of the competing corps, nor is it fair for the corps to be judged by anyone other than a professional adjudicator.

• Like 1

Also, DCI has already tested fan voting at the early TOC shows. It didn't work because fans don't represent a good enough cross section of the competing corps, nor is it fair for the corps to be judged by anyone other than a professional adjudicator.

I think if they could figure out a way to limit voting to those in attendance, the votes might be interesting. But so long as the voting system is so EASILY compromised, I don't care.

(btw the easiest way to fix vote-by-text is to print a unique code on each ticket that allows one and only one vote per code)

oh and to be clear: this voting should NOT affect the score at all. dumb idea. scores should not be subject to vagaries of audience composition.

Edited by corpsband

I like this idea... I think that the most important part of a show is entertainment. If you make the result of a fan vote impact the final score somehow, it could give incentive for corps to try to make more interesting, entertaining, and enjoyable shows instead of catering to judges.

I like this idea... I think that the most important part of a show is entertainment. If you make the result of a fan vote impact the final score somehow, it could give incentive for corps to try to make more interesting, entertaining, and enjoyable shows instead of catering to judges.

But it's the judges who reward shows with placements that determine how much of the DCI revenue pie each corps gets. The judges set up rules and expectations in the sheets, the corps build show productions based on them, the judges reward the corps, then this pesky "group think" from the fans takes the placement away from the corps and gives the reward (remember, the DCI financial reward) to a different corps.

How is a corps supposed to build a show that matches the diversity of the fan base's expectations?

Really, how does a corps do that?

If it were for just bragging rights no one might care. But there are dollars involved here, too.