Crown Percussion

The muffler idea was cool, but not interesting enough to be as long as it was (which I would guess was necessary in order to make the transition to high brass backfield).

I *strongly* agree with this part in particular. I felt all season that the muffler section was killing them from an effect standpoint. It's a very cool idea that unfortunately wears out its welcome long before it actually ends. To borrow from Tolkien, "butter scraped over too much bread". They needed that time for the transition, as you mention, but if you need that much time, you've got to be ready to pass off that responsibility to another gimmick. As it was it just hung there....IN SPACE.

• Like 1

I would much rather hear some content that is a little dirty that some watered down book.

There Will Be Content! Oh There Will Be Content!

There Will Be Content! Oh There Will Be Content!

Will it be the most contenty content ever?

• Like 2

Good points both Jeff and Kamarag. Thank you for the good kick. Moving forward. Crown has made a percussion change. All we can do is wait and see what happens.

I *strongly* agree with this part in particular. I felt all season that the muffler section was killing them from an effect standpoint. It's a very cool idea that unfortunately wears out its welcome long before it actually ends. To borrow from Tolkien, "butter scraped over too much bread". They needed that time for the transition, as you mention, but if you need that much time, you've got to be ready to pass off that responsibility to another gimmick. As it was it just hung there....IN SPACE.

I thought the muffler work would be hard to judge for the reasons others have given. But it's not like they stood around not playing for much of the show, as other corps have been accused of that scored well over the years.

I mean are you saying that if they had put their arms down at their sides during the muffler feature and just not played they would have earned a higher score? Or conversely, were there mistakes made during the muffler feature that lowered their score? Nobody has said that either.

So then the muffler feature shouldn't have hurt them. If the judges couldn't judge it, well they should have ignored it and judged the rest of their show.

I don't think the mufflers hurt them, and it was cool.

I think what hurts them is the fact that they have a reputation for low-scoring drums, and that keeps top talent from auditioning and/or returning. This causes the staff to write an easier book, which in turn causes them to peak early. Is that plausible?

Thank you for the comment, Mr. Freedman. What you suggest is plausible, but even if the book was easier there is liitle excuse for the amount of musicality in it. One many occassions I have heard the muffler section and it's awful musically. It was very difficult to parse out the phrases they were playing. To me, it sounded like high pitched white noise. And the other drum feature the snare just hit the heads really loudly. Again, a complete like of phrasing. You can have an easier but musical and melodic book to play is my point.

I really enjoyed the muffler feature personally. Yeah, thought it was a little bit long, but that combined with the wind chimes and other stuff from the front ensemble created a very ethereal, dreamy, out there mood for that section of the show.

Hey, if anything, doing that was new and super risky in its own respect, gotta give em that.

Edited by DrumManTx

Thank you for the comment, Mr. Freedman. What you suggest is plausible, but even if the book was easier there is liitle excuse for the amount of musicality in it. One many occassions I have heard the muffler section and it's awful musically. It was very difficult to parse out the phrases they were playing. To me, it sounded like high pitched white noise. And the other drum feature the snare just hit the heads really loudly. Again, a complete like of phrasing. You can have an easier but musical and melodic book to play is my point.

Is that the "ramming" that was discussed earlier? I'm not hep with the lingo...