DCI Loopholes, Rule clarifications/changes?

then why do certain posters keep hitting on the negative???

Because one man's positive effect is another man's negative effect. We can all agree that a missed rifle toss has a negative effect on the show, but elements creeping into the activity such as electronics, speaker systems, narration, trombones etc. ad nauseam ruin it for a lot of fans. What would ruin it for you? Laser light show? Trained elephants? Vuvuzelas?

Because one man's positive effect is another man's negative effect. We can all agree that a missed rifle toss has a negative effect on the show, but elements creeping into the activity such as electronics, speaker systems, narration, trombones etc. ad nauseam ruin it for a lot of fans. What would ruin it for you? Laser light show? Trained elephants? Vuvuzelas?

its all coming..there is no doubt of it. Lighting will be coming very soon.It's hit WGI and will DCI. As long as the activity is around I cant think of what would ruin it for me. Well , I guess I could think of 1 or 2 things..lol

Edited by GUARDLING

I sympathize with your emotional attachment to what drum corps used to be, and I experience those feelings myself sometimes. But the fact is that you're wrong about the number of fans who are turned off by the things you list.

Recent demographic data suggests that the average length of participation of drum corps fan is only about 3 1/2 years. And the average age is slightly over 35 so, likely, today's long term fans have been around since the late '1990's.

Both of these stats suggests that a significant majority of fans have never experienced drum corps unplugged, or experienced a show where music and visual at least shared the judging sheets evenly.

I suspect laser lights, elephants, and Vuvuzelas will help kill off the last 10 or 15 fans who ever actually experienced G-bugles. There just aren't that many left.

That's it.

If the elephants are playing the vuvuzelas while jumping on Crown's trampolines by next season, I'm gone.

P6x0U.gif

• Like 3

I sympathize with your emotional attachment to what drum corps used to be, and I experience those feelings myself sometimes. But the fact is that you're wrong about the number of fans who are turned off by the things you list.

Recent demographic data suggests that the average length of participation of drum corps fan is only about 3 1/2 years. And the average age is slightly over 35 so, likely, today's long term fans have been around since the late '1990's.

Both of these stats suggests that a significant majority of fans have never experienced drum corps unplugged, or experienced a show where music and visual at least shared the judging sheets evenly.

The first problem with this line of reasoning is in characterizing all spectators as "fans". A number of people attend one show and never come back - they are not "fans". Change "fan" to "spectator" where I underlined it above, and reconsider your premise. How much longer does the average "fan" really stay?

Second problem with your logic is in extrapolating about the "majority of fans". If your data is correct, it may be true that the majority of unique spectators have not seen drum corps prior to 2009. However, considering how many more shows ardent fans attend, they may still be the majority of people in the stands on any given day.

Third problem is speculating on how many people have been turned off to the activity without any supporting data. Granted, I may be doing the same here... but my hunch is that the average term of fandom was longer than 3 1/2 years before the firestorm of changes we have seen in the past 12-15 years.

That's it.

If the elephants are playing the vuvuzelas while jumping on Crown's trampolines by next season, I'm gone.

P6x0U.gif

Actually don't we already have a Vuvuzelas already as CEO of Phantom Regiment???

Seriously, Garfield and Cixel are raising some important facets and nuances to be well considered. Thank you gentlemen.

Edited by xandandl

That's it.

P6x0U.gif

I would honestly go to Indy for Finals week for the first time ever if this happens (to shake the hand of whatever poor "elephant/trampoline tech" has to clean up after the Bouncy)

I suspect laser lights, elephants, and Vuvuzelas will help kill off the last 10 or 15 fans who ever actually experienced G-bugles. There just aren't that many left.

Was that in DCW, or the DCI website or something? Can you post a link to that: sounds like an interesting read

Edited by perc2100

The first problem with this line of reasoning is in characterizing all spectators as "fans". A number of people attend one show and never come back - they are not "fans". Change "fan" to "spectator" where I underlined it above, and reconsider your premise. How much longer does the average "fan" really stay?

Second problem with your logic is in extrapolating about the "majority of fans". If your data is correct, it may be true that the majority of unique spectators have not seen drum corps prior to 2009. However, considering how many more shows ardent fans attend, they may still be the majority of people in the stands on any given day.

Third problem is speculating on how many people have been turned off to the activity without any supporting data. Granted, I may be doing the same here... but my hunch is that the average term of fandom was longer than 3 1/2 years before the firestorm of changes we have seen in the past 12-15 years.

One can say the same from BITD. Back then many many parents supported their kids and showed up at everything,volunteered ,etc etc. Today it is a very different story. Drum Corps was a local thing, very different today, Yesterdays kid had alot less choice from BITD , very different today. Although it is true fans ,may not stay as long as before it's for so many more reasons than changes within the drum corps world.

Personally, I have been through every change and with so many reasons why drum corps shouldn't be around today, IT IS. This is a testament to those preserving the activity however necessary to accommodate the world we are in.

Many Many fans were also turned off long before the past 10 or 15 years, nothing new when it comes to change.

Edited by GUARDLING