Cadets 2015

What GH was saying months ago about this show's GE -- that it will come mostly from the performance -- seems really true to me after watching the amateur videos from the show the other night. It doesn't try to reach you with characters or clear emotional context. They HAVE to perform this at the highest level for it to work -- they HAVE to leave you no choice than to be amazed by what's being achieved.

Certainly it's helped by a cohesive show design that flows, has shape, and takes you for a ride -- and certainly there are many pieces yet to fall into place (they have to make that audience connection in the ballad; they have to leave you breathless after the opener and after the waltz; need that transition in there between waltz and closer; and then prove to us they're not even close to tired or done when they do the closer).

But it has to be squeaky clean without being just a show full of notes.

This. This is exactly why BD has been the most dominant corps of the past 8 seasons. It's because they execute their shows better than anyone else on the field today. You can certainly make the argument that they design their shows better than any other corps, but at the end of the day, creativity doesn't matter as much as how well the members execute it. If the members enjoy the show they're performing and perform everything to the absolute best of their ability (even mistakes), the judges will reward that.

What GH was saying months ago about this show's GE -- that it will come mostly from the performance -- seems really true to me after watching the amateur videos from the show the other night. It doesn't try to reach you with characters or clear emotional context. They HAVE to perform this at the highest level for it to work -- they HAVE to leave you no choice than to be amazed by what's being achieved.

Certainly it's helped by a cohesive show design that flows, has shape, and takes you for a ride -- and certainly there are many pieces yet to fall into place (they have to make that audience connection in the ballad; they have to leave you breathless after the opener and after the waltz; need that transition in there between waltz and closer; and then prove to us they're not even close to tired or done when they do the closer).

But it has to be squeaky clean without being just a show full of notes.

I really hope they can achieve it. So far, so good.

I really hope they can achieve it. So far, so good.

So far, that horn line is scary good. I can't help but think it is only going to get better. The show is worth the price of admission for the French Horn feature by its self, let alone the 220+ beats per minute Shosti. Insanity in motion!

So far, that horn line is scary good. I can't help but think it is only going to get better. The show is worth the price of admission for the French Horn feature by its self, let alone the 220+ beats per minute Shosti. Insanity in motion!

I can see that new ending being some good old school Bergen-balls-to-the-wall drill with that music... In my opinion that would be pretty freaking insane, but epic.

Edited by Sandonovan

They have to be careful there, though, as an off night can kill them (the Frenchie feature was wildly out of tune in Allentown). Still wish the low brass played like the upper brass...that's going to be their musical Achilles heel come August.

And yes, they need to be squeaky clean...but they also have to elevate their performance level a lot. Performance level is what makes the difference in Indy. Execution and achievement aren't going to be enough, and this isn't the year to rely on performance over execution (like 2011)...the whole top five is too good for that.

• Like 1

They have to be careful there, though, as an off night can kill them (the Frenchie feature was wildly out of tune in Allentown). Still wish the low brass played like the upper brass...that's going to be their musical Achilles heel come August.

And yes, they need to be squeaky clean...but they also have to elevate their performance level a lot. Performance level is what makes the difference in Indy. Execution and achievement aren't going to be enough, and this isn't the year to rely on performance over execution (like 2011)...the whole top five is too good for that.

Why is that, John or anyone?

Post show I heard some Cadets mellos arguing this in the lot and heard talk about some special tones or such.

Not being a French horn player, I didn't quite get the drift.

I still think it is one of the best special instrument features since the rules have been liberalized. I prefer the French horn to the trombones and kazoos.

Edited by xandandl

Wow ... that's too bad about the Frenchie feature in A-town. I saw them in Bowling Green, and my jaw dropped, it was so good. I suppose it's like the girl with a curl:

There was a little girl,

Who had a little curl,

Right in the middle of her forehead.

When she was good,

She was very good indeed,

But when she was bad she was horrid.

But you are so right. This year, everything needs to be clean. At that same show, Carolina Crown came out, and in the opening statements, the 1st trumpets fracked. It didn't take away from the overall show, but then again, what was my take away: The 1st trumpets fracked. With the top five being so good, execution is going to be king this year.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer

Wow ... that's too bad about the Frenchie feature in A-town. I saw them in Bowling Green, and my jaw dropped, it was so good. I suppose it's like the girl with a curl:

There was a little girl,

Who had a little curl,

Right in the middle of her forehead.

When she was good,

She was very good indeed,

But when she was bad she was horrid.

But you are so right. This year, everything needs to be clean. At that same show, Carolina Crown came out, and in the opening statements, the 1st trumpets fracked. It didn't take away from the overall show, but then again, what was my take away: The 1st trumpets fracked. Execution is going to be king this year.

in no way were the French horns horrid in A-town.

Just a different sound from what that one poster expected. Sure, they didn't play his rup-rup-rup.

And Allison was excellent.

Edited by xandandl

I watched them practice all day that afternoon and the french horns were in tune every time, as they were in every video I had seen from previous weeks. They clearly had an issue that night, but it's something that I never heard as a problem before that one time. And yeah, all it takes is one time at the wrong time to make a difference (1989 BD anyone?), so you're right about that. Those instruments need to be double checked before the show begins just to be sure everything is in the right place and then all the members have to do is pick them up and go.

I also think the low brass is not nearly as much of an issue as made out to be. The Cadets typically play a mid-voice to upper voice heavy book anyway, but when the low brass were featured in this show, I thought they sounded fine. And I think they add the right kind of blend and balance to the full hornline power moments as well. Staging could help in a few areas, but the same could be said for other corps at a few moments here and there.

One area I am not concerned with is their level of performance as the summer goes on. Not this corps. They've had lesser vehicles than this in the past and they still managed to be one of the best performing corps in DCI when it was all said and done. You can tell that the kids in that corps really dig this show, so I'm pretty confident that performance will be a very good strength for them in the end.

Personally speaking, I love this show. Love. It. It's easily my favorite of the DCI season thus far of the corps I've seen (including my favorite from the top 5). I think it CAN win, but this is one time I really don't care if it does. It reminds me of 1992 in that respect. Tame the Perilous Skies just blew my doors off, and if they had another few days, they probably would have won. But man, I can watch that show over and over and never get tired of it. The Cadets being the Cadets, doing the type of show that, honestly, I think only they could do. That's the same kind of vibe I get from this show. I'm really looking forward to seeing it develop as the summer goes on. Kudos to the design team, staff and performers for already making my jaw drop.......on June 29th! :cool:

• Like 3

I watched them practice all day that afternoon and the french horns were in tune every time, as they were in every video I had seen from previous weeks. They clearly had an issue that night, but it's something that I never heard as a problem before that one time. And yeah, all it takes is one time at the wrong time to make a difference (1989 BD anyone?), so you're right about that. Those instruments need to be double checked before the show begins just to be sure everything is in the right place and then all the members have to do is pick them up and go.

I also think the low brass is not nearly as much of an issue as made out to be. The Cadets typically play a mid-voice to upper voice heavy book anyway, but when the low brass were featured in this show, I thought they sounded fine. And I think they add the right kind of blend and balance to the full hornline power moments as well. Staging could help in a few areas, but the same could be said for other corps at a few moments here and there.

One area I am not concerned with is their level of performance as the summer goes on. Not this corps. They've had lesser vehicles than this in the past and they still managed to be one of the best performing corps in DCI when it was all said and done. You can tell that the kids in that corps really dig this show, so I'm pretty confident that performance will be a very good strength for them in the end.

Personally speaking, I love this show. Love. It. It's easily my favorite of the DCI season thus far of the corps I've seen (including my favorite from the top 5). I think it CAN win, but this is one time I really don't care if it does. It reminds me of 1992 in that respect. Tame the Perilous Skies just blew my doors off, and if they had another few days, they probably would have won. But man, I can watch that show over and over and never get tired of it. The Cadets being the Cadets, doing the type of show that, honestly, I think only they could do. That's the same kind of vibe I get from this show. I'm really looking forward to seeing it develop as the summer goes on. Kudos to the design team, staff and performers for already making my jaw drop.......on June 29th! :cool:One

One of the key differences in the the on-tour perception of the low brass this year is the loss of low brass tech Jarrett Lipman who remained in Texas this summer to continue heading a great program at Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S. in San Antonio and returning to his alma mater The Crossman where he had been DM and asst. director in years past. He is part of their improved horn package this season. http://www.crossmen.org/jarrett-lipman-biohttp://www.crossmen.org/jarrett-lipman-bio

His Siamese twin, JP Crowley recently of Bridgewater-Raritan directorship, is still at low brass helm. Different line, different charts. But no one doubted the low brass musicianship or book during those winter vids. They are just not getting the same features when the feet are added outdoors.

Edited by xandandl