Cadets 2015

I feel the same way, especially after the shows Cadets have put on in the past couple years. This is the type of show I've wanted to see from them for a long time. It's vintage Cadets (in my opinion). Yes, there will be people who won't like it, but this show is a far cry from the vitriol they had to deal with last year.

This year's Cadets is fairly straight-up, traditional drum corps. Not many frills, a few props, only minimal narration (in a 3rd person kind of way), and mostly exciting and demanding music paired with fast and exciting drill and awesome staging. The show has the recipe to finish top 3 for sure, and could win. Is it modern? Probably not, but I think it's modern enough, in particular with the things they are doing in the ballad and the waltz.

If people complain that they are not modern enough, well I'd say you can't have it both ways. You can't complain about a corps' use of narration, a big stage up front, too much cheese at the end of their show, etc., without there being some effect. Until the Cadets changed the ending of their 2014 show (where perhaps too much cheese was added) I actually really liked that show. I thought it was, by far, their best use of narration, and the stage up front didn't bother me. They didn't use it enough or effectively and it did make it difficult for the percussion to be brought forward. But still, to me that was a really nice show. But it needed an elegant ending, not cheese.

At any rate, when people tend to complain and gripe about Cadets shows, Hop usually pulls back and goes fairly traditional. Most Cadets fans love it. We know we are going to get fast drill, killer brass parts, amazing percussion, great guard, and all the other goodies. But I find it odd that all these other corps this year are doing vocal ballads, massive amounts of electronics, heavy synth work, K-Pop dances, yet if Cadets try any of that they get roasted.

Now, in all fairness, the Cadets haven't always been so good at the electronic/synth/microphone/amplification thing. I hear they purchased a new sound system and mixer. Glad to see them making the investment. Because with everything that is going on this summer with the other shows, do not think for a moment that Hop is not going to jump back intro the fray and want his designers to create a modern looking and sounding show.

• Like 5

This year's Cadets is fairly straight-up, traditional drum corps. Not many frills, a few props, only minimal narration (in a 3rd person kind of way), and mostly exciting and demanding music paired with fast and exciting drill and awesome staging. The show has the recipe to finish top 3 for sure, and could win. Is it modern? Probably not, but I think it's modern enough, in particular with the things they are doing in the ballad and the waltz.

If people complain that they are not modern enough, well I'd say you can't have it both ways. You can't complain about a corps' use of narration, a big stage up front, too much cheese at the end of their show, etc., without there being some effect. Until the Cadets changed the ending of their 2014 show (where perhaps too much cheese was added) I actually really liked that show. I thought it was, by far, their best use of narration, and the stage up front didn't bother me. They didn't use it enough or effectively and it did make it difficult for the percussion to be brought forward. But still, to me that was a really nice show. But it needed an elegant ending, not cheese.

At any rate, when people tend to complain and gripe about Cadets shows, Hop usually pulls back and goes fairly traditional. Most Cadets fans love it. We know we are going to get fast drill, killer brass parts, amazing percussion, great guard, and all the other goodies. But I find it odd that all these other corps this year are doing vocal ballads, massive amounts of electronics, heavy synth work, K-Pop dances, yet if Cadets try any of that they get roasted.

Now, in all fairness, the Cadets haven't always been so good at the electronic/synth/microphone/amplification thing. I hear they purchased a new sound system and mixer. Glad to see them making the investment. Because with everything that is going on this summer with the other shows, do not think for a moment that Hop is not going to jump back intro the fray and want his designers to create a modern looking and sounding show.

Completely agree with the emboldened statement. Bluecoats' show is coated with electronics and people are eating it up. And in fairness to Bluecoats, they have learned how to use it more effectively than any other corps, and for that, they deserve all the applause they're getting. But it is true that Cadets would get thrown into the pits of Crown's show if they were using it. But I'm happy with the direction Cadets have taken this year and it seems many others like it too. Everyone is entitled to their opinions about this show, but it's great that the show is causing a debate more about whether a more traditional show can win, as opposed to how much narration, props and cheese they're able to bake onto the field.

Anyone know when the tag is going to be added?

Anyone know when the tag is going to be added?

I don't know for sure, but I heard it is supposed to be added sometime this month (more likely sooner than later).

Cadets face BD and/or Crown 3 of the next 4 nights. Time for things to get (more) real :-p

Cadets should (I would think) be adding in tag ending after Sunday -- they have 5 non-show days in a row before the Minnesota regional next Saturday. A few months ago, GH said that was likely the plan.

• Like 2

Cadets face BD and/or Crown 3 of the next 4 nights. Time for things to get (more) real :-p

Cadets should (I would think) be adding in tag ending after Sunday -- they have 5 non-show days in a row before the Minnesota regional next Saturday. A few months ago, GH said that was likely the plan.

Seems logical; gives them time to get it under the members' belts enough to perform.

Seriously? So what the hell are these people doing marching around and playing music???

Executing the show design. They could march a perfect 8:5 box drill while playing Mary Had a Little Lamb and not win because of the fact that no one knows what "GE" is.

I'm not even gonna......

Not even going to what? Look, you could be the cleanest corps in the history of the world and lose if the judging community doesn't accept your show as being "effective."

The comedian Ron White has a saying. "You cant fix stupid". Just sayin. That GE comment.............proves it. Now back to being NOT stupid . That GE and lack of member contribution comment may be the dumbest thing I have heard on DCP.

How is this stupid? What is GE? You can't deny that there is a very large component of scoring that is dependent on whether the designers (non-members) designed an effective show.

You do realize that half of the GE sheet reflects the member achivement of the written show.

I do realize this. Do you think in any world of practicality that a show not deemed to be "effective" by the judging community will ever have a chance at scoring highly in the achievement boxes on the GE sheets? No way.

Look, right or wrong, the judges adjudicate the show design. You can't win without a show design that is "effective." It isn't enough to be stupid clean on a performance level.