Cadets 2015

Those who believe that ( for example ) Carolina Crown could have won themselves a DCI Title 2 years ago finishing 6th in a GE caption ( instead of 6th in the performance execution caption of Percussion ) would be well advised to explain how this would be possible. If they could do so, perhaps this notion they have that the GE captions are not a bit more important than the performance execution captions might be a bit more persuasive in their position. Those of us that believe today's judging sheets reward the Show Design more than the performance execution, are persuaded ( for a real live world example ) that Carolina Crown could not have possibly won themselves a DCI Title 2 years had they finished 6th on a GE Caption, rather than 6th on a performance execution caption ( Percussion ).

Edited by BRASSO

So ONE comment on this. Each caption is split. There is a Rep/Content subcaption, and a Performance/Achievment subcaption. If you give them a show with flaws but they perform it well, will affect one of the two subcaptions. If you give them a good show but they perform it badly, gonna affect one of the two captions. If you give them a good show that's over their heads, affects one. If you give them an easy show they peak on, affects one. If you give them a good show and they're good, perfect scores. If you give them a bad show and they can't perform it, bad scores. Seems pretty cut and dry 50/50 to me. Just how I see it.

ANYWAYS, tonight should be interesting. I think they will win percussion, IMO. Based on what I've seen of BD/Cadets. Music Analysis........toss up. GE is a wild card. Visual Analysis, could go to Crown or BD, Cadets still have some polishing to do there. It wouldn't surprise me to them really close tonight, above or below. We shall see. Going to give us our first glimpse at how everyone stacks up!

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 1

Those who believe that ( for example ) Carolina Crown could have won themselves a DCI Title 2 years ago finishing 6th in a GE caption ( instead of 6th in the Performance Execution Caption of Percussion ) would be well advised to explain how this would be possible. If they could do so, perhaps this notion they have that the GE captions are not a bit more important than the Execution Captions might be a bit more persuasive in their position. Those of us that believe today's judging sheets reward the Show Design more than the performanvce execution, are persuaded ( for a real live world example ) that Carolina Crown could not have possibly won themselves a DCI Title 2 years had they finished 6th on a GE Caption, rather than 6th on a performance execution caption ( Percussion ).

It's pretty much impossible these days to have top-3 performance captions but 6th place GE, right? Since GE is so strongly affected by achievement.

My anecdotal observation is that percussion is the performance caption that has the least impact on GE, and guard has the strongest impact on GE. Guard also has a very strong impact on Visual Analysis (Ensemble), so that's an even stronger magnification of the guard score.

There ARE examples in the past of winning one of the GEs (or both) but getting 4th or lower in the corresponding performance captions, though one must consider the sheets at the time. Crown 13, of course (1st GE Music; 6th percussion)...if my memory is correct then also Cadets 07 (1st GE Vis; 4th Guard), Cavaliers 01 (1st GE Music; 4th brass), Cadets 97 (1st GE Music; 4th brass), Cavaliers 95 (1st GE Music; 4th brass) .

So ONE comment on this. Each caption is split. There is a Rep/Content subcaption, and a Performance/Achievment subcaption. If you give them a show with flaws but they perform it well, will affect one of the two subcaptions. If you give them a good show but they perform it badly, gonna affect one of the two captions. If you give them a good show that's over their heads, affects one. If you give them an easy show they peak on, affects one. If you give them a good show and they're good, perfect scores. If you give them a bad show and they can't perform it, bad scores. Seems pretty cut and dry 50/50 to me. Just how I see it.

ANYWAYS, tonight should be interesting. I think they will win percussion, IMO. Based on what I've seen of BD/Cadets. Music Analysis........toss up. GE is a wild card. Visual Analysis, could go to Crown or BD, Cadets still have some polishing to do there. It wouldn't surprise me to them really close tonight, above or below. We shall see. Going to give us our first glimpse at how everyone stacks up!

Based on not much, I'm going to say:

GE = BD (Cadets 2nd by a couple tenths each)

VA = BD (Crown 2nd by a couple tenths)

MA = BD (Cadets 2nd by a tenth)

P = Cadets (BD 2nd by a couple tenths)

So I'll say BD 1st by 0.7 or so. Crown in 3rd, down from Cadets by a point.

?

Ok so anyway, Cadets and BD meet for the first time tonight at the Boston Crusaders 75th anniversary show. Tonights line up is great and can't wait to see how they do.

• Like 2

I've been hearing something about this competition being televised or something. Does anyone have details on that?

For the record, there is no Corps in the modern era that has won DCI with a GE caption in 6th place. Generally, a DCI Title is won these days with GE captions in the top 3, certainly not as low as 6th. When Carolina Crown won their DCI Title less than 2 years ago, the GE judges were essentially overlooking their subpar Percussion section. Had they had a subpar Show Design 2 years ago, no amount of great brass playing and great percussion playing from the members would have salvaged that season. Moving forward to last season, Crown had a great brass line ( similar to the season before ), and a percussion section as equally good as the year before, imo. The Crown marchers executed their show very well last season. But they plummeted from 1st to 5th. Thats understandable from the Show Design perspective too. Last season's adult created Carolina Crown Show Design was subpar compared to the season before. it was a disjointed, incoherent Show Design, relative to its theme selected... and paled to the Show Design the year before. No amount of first rate performance execution by the Crown members was going to put them in contention for a repeat Title last season. They were doomed to fall several placements from the moment they got on the busses for their first show, imo. A 6th place Percussion section can win a DCI Title if the Show Design is great. But a 5th or 6th place Percussion section will not allow a Corps to even medal if the Show Design is subpar compared to others in its pecking order. The Crown marchers worked just as hard as the season before, and it was just as marcher talented as their DCI winning Corps. They executed as equally well as the season before, imo. But the adult created Show Design never really gave them a fighting chance to defend their title from the season before.

Cadets Show Design wasn't going to put them in position to win last season either. But it is my early assessment that this year's Cadets Show Design has given its members a shot at winning it all,... provided they execute this Show come August.

Edited by BRASSO

I've been hearing something about this competition being televised or something. Does anyone have details on that?

You asked this question on the Boston show thread and were given an answer by 2muchcoffeeman at 12;54 P.M. Why ask again at 4 p.m.?

Was his answer not correct? Have you discovered something other? If so, please share with DCP. Thanks.

Edited by xandandl

You asked this question on the Boston show thread and were given an answer by 2muchcoffeeman at 12;54 P.M. Why ask again at 4 p.m.?

Was his answer not correct? Have you discovered something other? If so, please share with DCP. Thanks.

I apologize, I didn't see his answer. I'll go back and look for it.

Just because my username is "Cappybara" and you have some weird thing in for me doesn't mean you should always assume the worst. Lay off or I'll need to start talking to the mods about harassment.

• Like 1

Don't threaten, sir.

Nothing negative sent.

Asking for the info so that I and others can watch too.

Enjoy the show if you see it.

Mods can look at this fine. I've sent it on to them for you.

Edited by xandandl