Cadets 2015

I see a bad guard transition, followed by hard work with no lower body, followed by zero guard integration.

and it's one of the greatest guard moments in DCI history

I rest my case. "on trend" with the guard world has gotten way off track

In only my opinion of course!

How could I have possibly understood BD's show without guard members wearing some sort of jackets with rodent tails? Yes that was so organic and added so much. I thought BDs guard had no connection to the brass whatsoever. Talk about doing random crap with no apparent purpose except Hey look at our visual!! If that's what you need to do to garner sufficient visual points to win, then it's time for another adjustment to the score sheets.

• Like 3

I see a bad guard transition, followed by hard work with no lower body, followed by zero guard integration.

I see negativity, negativity, and more negativity.

• Like 3

Also from '96: https://vimeo.com/8598256

And you know the Cadets "danced," "emoted" and "acted" their way through the entire slow opening of their show that year, yeah? And also did a lot of cowboy/girl emoting?

I know.. And I'm not "against it" - I'm against it when it becomes the entire show.

BD really holds back from gorgeous, unison guard work and BIG visual statements. Much of it is on the microscopic level

And I'm in no way criticizing them - they are AWESOME. But let's face it - the designers follow the trends as do the judges.

Pendulums swing too far often

and it's one of the greatest guard moments in DCI history

I rest my case. "on trend" with the guard world has gotten way off track

In only my opinion of course!

I see negativity, negativity, and more negativity.

Not particularly.

I think the sweet spot is something like 98 cadets.

MUCH more guard integration. Quite a bit of dancing. Some incredible flag moments. They frame the field, they highlight moments, they have multiple responsibilities, the rifles were incredible.

Point being, the late 90's are a bigger embodiment of what I think George means than something like 96 cadets.

Not particularly.

MUCH more guard integration. Quite a bit of dancing. Some incredible flag moments. They frame the field, they highlight moments, they have multiple responsibilities, the rifles were incredible.

Point being, the late 90's are a bigger embodiment of what I think George means than something like 96 cadets.

98 Cadets guard was VERY dirty. As much as that's probably my favorite Cadets show in the world, that guard left me watching the horns.

• Like 1

I thought BDs guard had no connection to the brass whatsoever.

Nah. BD's guard actually has the opposite problem, sometimes, of interpreting the brass and rhythm sections a little too literally.

98 Cadets guard was VERY dirty. As much as that's probably my favorite Cadets show in the world, that guard left me watching the horns.

Dirty because they were all over the field doing stuff that wasn't really done in the era.

LoL I watch the horns because of the drill moments.

I try to ignore the mello hero, though.

• Like 2

How could I have possibly understood BD's show without guard members wearing some sort of jackets with rodent tails? Yes that was so organic and added so much. I thought BDs guard had no connection to the brass whatsoever. Talk about doing random crap with no apparent purpose except Hey look at our visual!! If that's what you need to do to garner sufficient visual points to win, then it's time for another adjustment to the score sheets.

I like BD guard but I think Crown's guard is better. I also think Cadets guard just needs to clean so it becomes more organic 😂

Edited by Tobias
  • Like 1

Not particularly.

I agree. Probably 98 was the point where I feel it started to flip too far toward indoor design

Cadets 92 guard did tons of "emoting" as well but #### were they fun to watch. Still a lot of huge visual impact moments.

It's also when DCI was still considered the "top" of the guard world. Designers have all moved inside now. They hate the heat and wind :)

Sounds like you get what I'm saying. I understand your point as well...

• Like 1