Cadets 2015

Of course, but the scores for Cadets have been very positive if you look at the content box in the captions. They've broken into the 8.0 range indicating the judges see the show as one of strength with no real " structural issues". What I saw on periscope yesterday, the achievement caption is improving rapidly. I'm very optimistic the Cadets will remain in top tier. BD and Bluecoats are very strong BUT so are Cadets.

Agreed.

I'm gonna need everyone here to maintain or elevate their excitement level for Cadets. Some may argue "well this thread IS almost 250 pages long" but STILL! There seems to be some doubt in the Cadets' capability because of what some other corps are doing. Sure, some of their shows may be "innovative" or "groundbreaking" but we must believe that (somewhat) tradional still works. And so far, it appears to be working well for the Cadets this season. All those other corps deserve their due accolades, but Cadets deserve it too. So STOP THE DOUBTS! Maintain that faith that Cadets have the power to do what it takes to accomplish their mission. Cadets will not always win every show. They may not even be crowned the champs at the end of the season, but,they ARE and WILL CONTINUE TO BE contenders. Now relinquish your doubts! Cheer friends. CHEER! For this is a season that Cadets will keep us all motivated to see!

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 5

According to the DCI schedule there are no scheduled shows for Thursday 6/25

Often these 'off days' are useful for the judges webinar discussions which happen within captions and along the way.

Agreed.

I'm gonna need everyone here to maintain or elevate their excitement level for Cadets. Some may argue "well this thread IS almost 250 pages long" but STILL! There seems to be some doubt in the Cadets' capability because of what some other corps are doing. Sure, some of their shows may be "innovative" or "groundbreaking" but we must believe that (somewhat) tradional still works. And so far, it appears to be working well for the Cadets this season. All those other corps deserve their due accolades, but Cadets deserve it too. So STOP THE DOUBTS! Maintain that faith that Cadets have the power to do what it takes to accomplish their mission. Cadets will not always win every show. They may not even be crowned the champs at the end of the season, but,they ARE and WILL CONTINUE TO BE contenders. Now relinquish your doubts! Cheer friends. CHEER! For this is a season that Cadets will keep us all motivated to see!

Cadets program is non-traditional in some less obvious ways

The writing, particularly percussion, is quite creative

The use of electronics - especially as they get dialed in these past few days - very subtle and innovated way of taking "old music" and making it fresh and approachable and "lighter" sounding (this really differentiates them from this year's Crown)

The guard work is very fresh - still "Cadet-like" but quite different than they've done in the past

The use of body movement is modern - especially the approach to it AND drill in the ballad and Waltz sections of the show. Staging things more like a winter guard would (ala BD)

The whole Waltz movement is very unique. The only comparison I can draw to it is 2005's drum speak section. No drum-speak this year, but the musical arrangements are just as creative - and extremely challenging

This corps seems extremely talented and balanced, perhaps their best corps overall since 2005

It will be very interesting to see where this goes in the coming weeks. And how the judging community scores it all. The current content/comp scores are certainly encouraging - but we'll have to look at those first regional to see where the show itself really lines up against their peers

The show isn't without fault, however.

* The intro (to me) is really a drag. Not sure the 1 through 10 is necessary at all. I'd personally prefer a simple "ten" statement to open the show. It's a little "crown like" and I'm personally tired of these long and elaborate preambles

* I'm not in love with the color scheme - a little too bright for my taste. Cadets of late seem to be going for a circus-theme color palette - not sure the music calls for that. Maybe something is in the works. I'd prefer a more modern color scheme of neons, grays, black and white.

The transition into the closer is a little jarring - we go from the Waltz to a very "happy" sounding couple of solos. Needs something musically in there

The Movement 2 section is quite long. I think it works - but once we see the full program with the tag ending - the overall arc of the program might need some tweaking

Anyway - very strong so far Cadets!

Edited by George Dixon

Interesting uptake from last night's show in two regards.

Performance: as many have here have noted, last night's show included some changes in music (French horn section adjusted and lengthened), percussion/electronics tweeks, and staging. These have seemed to work well, especially with this panel of judges.

Judges: last night's panel including percussion judge (a Cadets' strength) were all experienced judges and judges who have seen the corps previously this season although each judging a different sheet from their previous viewing. Judges getting to know the show and appreciated it's depth will certainly assist competitive spreads. What suggestions these same judges made in their previous viewings and what changes from these suggestions may have been made would be an interesting factor to last night's improvement. More to come. #herewegrow.

But Hopkins, the corps director, played snare for Crossmen.

Please do research before challenging.

I'm pretty sure they were trying to help! Gosh people are grouchy these days.

According to the DCI schedule there are no scheduled shows for Thursday 6/25

Often these 'off days' are useful for the judges webinar discussions which happen within captions and along the way.

Sorry - on dci.org I looked across their "table" crooked last night. Their new site isn't very easy to read, that's for sure. On the ipad the show dates and event details were all the way across the screen from one another

So - Cadets and others have 2 days rehearsal time. That's cool! Clean those feet & clean that guard! :)

• Like 1

The show isn't without fault, however.

* The intro (to me) is really a drag. Not sure the 1 through 10 is necessary at all. I'd personally prefer a simple "ten" statement to open the show. It's a little "crown like" and I'm personally tired of these long and elaborate preambles

* I'm not in love with the color scheme - a little too bright for my taste. Cadets of late seem to be going for a circus-theme color palette - not sure the music calls for that. Maybe something is in the works. I'd prefer a more modern color scheme of neons, grays, black and white.

The transition into the closer is a little jarring - we go from the Waltz to a very "happy" sounding couple of solos. Needs something musically in there

The Movement 2 section is quite long. I think it works - but once we see the full program with the tag ending - the overall arc of the program might need some tweaking

Anyway - very strong so far Cadets!

Interesting points you've made.

My thoughts so far (without the benefit of a live viewing):

I feel the intro section is kinda short relative to many intros of Cadets' past. I feel that the counting is kinda unnecessary. But we'll see where they go with it.

I also feel the same about those panels in the back. I think they're too colorful. But I guess that's what they're sticking with.

I have a feeling they're gonna rework that transition into the closer. But that's just MY feeling.

I think there are couple of sections within movement 2 that they could cut out because they seem a little redundant (for example, that lead up to the first chord, a few measures back). But for the most part, I love the way movement 2 is written. It's "Cadet-like".

Edited by 2000Cadet

my comment was emotionally neutral, similar to instructions any teacher would write on a student's paper when editing for improvement or a judge might make when doing a competition tape beyond the "gee everyone is doing such a wonderful job, give everyone a trophy" comments.

Now someone receiving requests from MMs for sponsorship and not even giving such MMs the courtesy of a reply, yes or no, that would certainly make me grouchy.

Edited by xandandl