Cadets 2015

Agreed.

I'm gonna need everyone here to maintain or elevate their excitement level for Cadets. Some may argue "well this thread IS almost 250 pages long" but STILL! There seems to be some doubt in the Cadets' capability because of what some other corps are doing. Sure, some of their shows may be "innovative" or "groundbreaking" but we must believe that (somewhat) tradional still works. And so far, it appears to be working well for the Cadets this season. All those other corps deserve their due accolades, but Cadets deserve it too. So STOP THE DOUBTS! Maintain that faith that Cadets have the power to do what it takes to accomplish their mission. Cadets will not always win every show. They may not even be crowned the champs at the end of the season, but,they ARE and WILL CONTINUE TO BE contenders. Now relinquish your doubts! Cheer friends. CHEER! For this is a season that Cadets will keep us all motivated to see!

What prompted this lol? Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about the Cadets, but why does everyone need to "elevate or maintain" their excitement for the Cadets? I'm pretty sure the fact that this topic has the most pages out of any corps attests to how much conversation the Cadets are generating.

Cadets program is non-traditional in some less obvious ways

The writing, particularly percussion, is quite creative

The use of electronics - especially as they get dialed in these past few days - very subtle and innovated way of taking "old music" and making it fresh and approachable and "lighter" sounding (this really differentiates them from this year's Crown)

The guard work is very fresh - still "Cadet-like" but quite different than they've done in the past

The use of body movement is modern - especially the approach to it AND drill in the ballad and Waltz sections of the show. Staging things more like a winter guard would (ala BD)

The whole Waltz movement is very unique. The only comparison I can draw to it is 2005's drum speak section. No drum-speak this year, but the musical arrangements are just as creative - and extremely challenging

This corps seems extremely talented and balanced, perhaps their best corps overall since 2005

It will be very interesting to see where this goes in the coming weeks. And how the judging community scores it all. The current content/comp scores are certainly encouraging - but we'll have to look at those first regional to see where the show itself really lines up against their peers

The show isn't without fault, however.

* The intro (to me) is really a drag. Not sure the 1 through 10 is necessary at all. I'd personally prefer a simple "ten" statement to open the show. It's a little "crown like" and I'm personally tired of these long and elaborate preambles

* I'm not in love with the color scheme - a little too bright for my taste. Cadets of late seem to be going for a circus-theme color palette - not sure the music calls for that. Maybe something is in the works. I'd prefer a more modern color scheme of neons, grays, black and white.

The transition into the closer is a little jarring - we go from the Waltz to a very "happy" sounding couple of solos. Needs something musically in there

The Movement 2 section is quite long. I think it works - but once we see the full program with the tag ending - the overall arc of the program might need some tweaking

Anyway - very strong so far Cadets!

1. Counting in pre-show sets up the show nicely. Maybe they can lower the volume of the numbers leaving ten louder as it is now. I think it's pretty cool and everyone knows, THATS their show!

2. Color scheme of guard works well. Look at some of the other guards, they're horrid. BUT I think the podiums are too busy and take focus away from the performers on top. Perhaps recover just the tops with a solid color and that would work well.

3. Agreed, the transition from the Waltz into closer is very abrupt. That needs to be "transitioned" more effectively,

4. The second movement is the place where they can steal some extra time if needed in closer. I like it BUT that's where you can remove some repetitive passages if needed.

Overall a very well written and well balanced show.

Edited by Tobias

What prompted this lol? Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about the Cadets, but why does everyone need to "elevate or maintain" their excitement for the Cadets? I'm pretty sure the fact that this topic has the most pages out of any corps attests to how much conversation the Cadets are generating.

Have you met Tekk? He's a very fit and no nonsense guy, if he says, elevate, you elevate!
  • Like 1

Don't start with me Cappybara. I had some motivation from my commander today and felt like spreading it. Just let it be.

• Like 1

The intro (to me) is really a drag. Not sure the 1 through 10 is necessary at all. I'd personally prefer a simple "ten" statement to open the show. It's a little "crown like" and I'm personally tired of these long and elaborate preambles

They almost always trim preshows
  • Like 1