Cadets 2015

Wish they'd restage the battery during the waltz, mostly during the in-out extended open roll sequence -- it's not that exciting to listen to, but when you see what they're doing you're like COOL! They need to be more in view.

Also hoping for some texture during the hold chord at the ballad climax -- like mello tremolo or something (see end of 98; 99 ballad).

And I'm not gonna be happy if guard prevents a gold here.

Talk me back from the ledge, Tekk!! :)

I exaggerate...

Lol I know what you mean!

98 ballad is by far my most favoritest ballad ever. That build up to the long resolved chord to that release made me melt out of my seat. I'd love a ballad like that from them again.

Wish they'd restage the battery during the waltz, mostly during the in-out extended open roll sequence -- it's not that exciting to listen to, but when you see what they're doing you're like COOL! They need to be more in view.

Also hoping for some texture during the hold chord at the ballad climax -- like mello tremolo or something (see end of 98; 99 ballad).

And I'm not gonna be happy if guard prevents a gold here.

Talk me back from the ledge, Tekk!! :)

I exaggerate...

Good thoughts. Guard will be cleaned and not a big liability IMO. Yes, that drum feature in the Waltz is pretty covered up by the corps proper.

Actually the Cadets show is a clinic in movement. I like that they finally come up close and personal at the end.

This. You know what's funny? Before the season started, I was secretly extremely worried that they wouldn't be able to pull this show off especially at the tempo they're performing shosty's 10th. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised, and dumbfounded at how well they're performing it.

This. You know what's funny? Before the season started, I was secretly extremely worried that they wouldn't be able to pull this show off especially at the tempo they're performing shosty's 10th. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised, and dumbfounded at how well they're performing it.

Agreed. I think we've past the point of "need to water down" as well. Now it's just a matter of cleaning and staying healthy.

• Like 1

Agreed. I think we've past the point of "need to water down" as well. Now it's just a matter of cleaning and staying healthy.

EXACTLY! So many times Cadets have had tough shows in the past and they've had to water them down. I think this is one of the first years in a long time where that phrase hasn't even been uttered.

• Like 1

Good thoughts. Guard will be cleaned and not a big liability IMO. Yes, that drum feature in the Waltz is pretty covered up by the corps proper.

Eh, they might be clean, but they might still be 4th or 5th place and down from 1st by more than 0.6 -- a 0.3 deficit you can't accept in such a competitive season.

• Like 2

It's an inside joke calling back to the 80s when the corps was struggling financially. Because of that, there wasn't a lot of food, and what they did have wasn't very high quality. It's funny to hear Marc Sylvester joke about this in the recent Marching Roundtable pod cast about the three-peat in '85.

Anyway, since the corps rarely ate well, the narration leaves out the "8". It's funny once you realize what's going on but likely is going over the heads of 99.9% of the audience.

If that's true - that is BRILLIANT! I love subtle inside stuff like that.

I've been going back and forth on this - but I personally think the guard will be fine.I'd say they'll get it down to a 0.4 deficit or so with the BD (who will win the caption in the end as they almost always do) and about 0.3 with Crown - the thing is neither of those corps (IMO) will be in second at finals. Personally think Coats will be in either first or second. They may only be 0.1 or 0.2 behind Coats - which is only 0.05 or 0.1 deficit in scoring.... The guard is starting to look quite good in long sections of the show. I imagine the other sections are being changed. The last minute of the show for example is quite well staged and clean now. Interesting to say the least considering they just got it last week. Sabres look great. Rifles improving. Silks look good and bad, depending on section of program. The dancing is better in parts, but still very clumsy choreography in parts. So perhaps more changes needed

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 1

The Cadets would've been 5th in guard last night had BD been in the competition too. It's a weakness, but I personally don't think it will prevent them from a championship. They're in a position similar to Crown 2013 in my opinion.

• Like 1

The Cadets would've been 5th in guard last night had BD been in the competition too. It's a weakness, but I personally don't think it will prevent them from a championship. They're in a position similar to Crown 2013 in my opinion.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing.