Regiment '15

Is Don Hill still arranging for Phantom this year? I may be in the minority here, but I've loved his arranging for Regiment. Last year's ballad was one of the best of the year. It's the performance issues that are holding them back, imo.

He's hit and miss for me. I loved 2014 and 2012, did not like 2013. He is not as bad as people make him out to be, but I agree that phantom would do well with a different arranger. Some of his arrangements fall pretty flat.

• Like 1

I think the Regiment design staff is smart enough to not just look at source music that has a title to fit the theme.

For example, if a corps does a show about nature, the pieces don't have to be about nature or have a title about nature, but rather fit the musical idea in terms of sound.

In Swan Lake they used music from King Kong and Dracula.

I wouldn't go overly literal in terms of possible music.

So then a City of Light show could incorporate various suggestions made so far. A little Phantom of the Opera could even show up (although it's too soon since Bloo did it unless they choose a different part of it). The Hovhaness by itself is certainly not enough for a show although some of the chorale parts (particularly the beginning) could be wonderful.

This is starting to sound like a good show ...

So then a City of Light show could incorporate various suggestions made so far. A little Phantom of the Opera could even show up (although it's too soon since Bloo did it unless they choose a different part of it). The Hovhaness by itself is certainly not enough for a show although some of the chorale parts (particularly the beginning) could be wonderful.

This is starting to sound like a good show ...

IF the question marks are representative of letters, there's one more ? than there are letters in City of Light (if I didn't miscount).

We now have a picture on PR's FB page of the snare auditions. Seems to be about 30 or so pounding away.

So, any thoughts on the 2015 battery? How many returning from 2014? Strengths and weaknesses? Needs? Suggestions?

Someone here has mentioned the impact of Matt Jordan's leaving may have on the return of some 2014 FE members. Is it too soon to say?

Is it fair to say that it takes 3-4 years for the percussion chief to build a potential Sanford challenger? I thing BK has done it before and I trust him to do it again with the Regiment.

Edited by 1956OPR

Is it fair to say that it takes 3-4 years for the percussion chief to build a potential Sanford challenger? I thing BK has done it before and I trust him to do it again with the Regiment.

In my opinion, I say we don't even mention "Sanford challenger," as I don't think Regiment will achieve what Rennick achieved without Rennick. For me, I'll be happy if the percussion is competent and integrated and finishes in the vicinity of the corps placement - you don't have to be a title, but don't be a weakness. And I think Bret Kuhn can absolutely do that.

• Like 1