Regiment '15

No matter what the corps, it always amazes me that vets presume that they will have a spot (based on loyalty) rather than imagining that the corps might get even better with talent that is beyond theirs. I guess it's a case of ego, youthful inexperience, and lack of reflection.

I am of the understanding that even the Conductors and caption leaders at PR go through some sort of annual "audition" and that nothing is automatic.

However, the poster is also a bit realistic for the experiences of many corps that out of area vets tend not to show at first camps but communicate and clear that with caption heads and corps admin. Conflicts with school obligations, costs of travel, and familiarity with corps ambiance tends to permit this in deference to not skipping later camps when actual show material is being learned. These policies differ corps to corps, sometimes sections to sections.

I'm not keen on this concept of prior members having to audition with potential new members. If you marched the prior season and stuck with everything associated, then you should have the benefits of such the following season if you want to continue to belong.

I'm not keen on this concept of prior members having to audition with potential new members. If you marched the prior season and stuck with everything associated, then you should have the benefits of such the following season if you want to continue to belong.

Should they still have to attend the early "audition" camps, even if they are not strictly speaking auditioning?

If not, then how do you know whether those kids are actually coming back for sure, or whether instead are actually out auditioning for higher-ranking corps, and only intend to come back home to you if they fail to make the higher corps? Do those people deserve the same automatic acceptance back to the corps?

To be honest, despite requiring that vets "audition" again, I wonder if any corps ever actually cut any vets based upon ability at those auditions.

Edited by Eleran

Should they still have to attend the early "audition" camps, even if they are not strictly speaking auditioning?

If not, then how do you know whether those kids are actually coming back for sure, or whether instead are actually out auditioning for higher-ranking corps, and only intend to come back home to you if they fail to make the higher corps? Do those people deserve the same automatic acceptance back to the corps?

To be honest, despite requiring that vets "audition" again, I wonder if any corps ever actually cut any vets based upon ability at those auditions.

Perhaps a tour fee deposit?

Perhaps, the vets were told NOT to come that day? I highly doubt it has to do with "arrogance". Being perfectly honest vets should be given priority and the benefit of the doubt because they have proven themselves ( I would think) and have all that training and knowledge. There is a lot more than "talent" needed and quite frankly with the amount of practice you get anyone proficient enough to play should be able to learn the show well and master it. Some serious over analyzing on how "hard" everything is. Well ya it's "hard" but you get a gazillion hours to get it perfected.

I've heard of some cut vets: happened when a new CH came in and a LOT of higher talent came in to audition and beat vets out of some spots. Obviously there are stories of vets being 'cut' or asked not to return due to attitude problems (like the infamous purple feather). And I've heard of members-in-good-standing who just really struggled all season in a corps, and when the staff decided to kick things up a notch weaker members were let go & replaced with higher-achieving members.

IMO whatever the corps' policy is what is, and I've heard different corps' policies explained in ways that work great for that corps. Some corps you seemingly march a season and you're in for life (short of some big problem), and some you have to constantly audition ever year. Corps do what they feel, and what is proven to be best for their situation.

Mello Dude said....Being perfectly honest vets should be given priority and the benefit of the doubt because they have proven themselves ( I would think) and have all that training and knowledge"

Gut question is: by whose or what standards?

Many instructors agree that it is sometimes easier to teach rookies than to "unteach" vets from old mistakes, different patterns of training, old attitudes, and new ways of doing whatever.

With few corps staffs staying whole season after season, there is a type of audition going on both ways when new faculty meets a different corps and its members, rookie and vet. That audition goes on both ways.

Some corps, particularly higher ranking world class corps, are in a newer habit of giving individual members end of season report cards and whether that member is "invited" to re-apply for next season. Corps responsibilities, relationships with other corps members and staff, off the field behaviors, and tour fee fulfillment are all part of the equation for this new drum corps business.

Sometimes life is not fair; rarely in drum corps is it boring.

• Like 1