Blue Devils erased from Fan Network in 2014

afd

Yes, I think that's what they re-named it. I just remember it being called SCV TV when it launched.

I remember seeing Vanguard's SCV-TV in 1981. They had a couple of cameras following the corps around to videotape their performances.

Edited by Lincoln

Have had no desire to see that or any recent Devils show again, so never noticed. They're doing a pretty bang up job of alienating their old fans with the 'stuff' they're putting on the field anymore. It's become more 'Broadway on drugs' than their jazz traditions, sadly....

• Like 1

Have had no desire to see that or any recent Devils show again, so never noticed. They're doing a pretty bang up job of alienating their old fans with the 'stuff' they're putting on the field anymore. It's become more 'Broadway on drugs' than their jazz traditions, sadly....

And yet here I am wondering how anyone likes their old stuff :smile:

a tradition is something one makes and implements for themselves

Edited by GUARDLING

Have you seen 2005, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014? I would hardly say that those shows let down people that are into their "jazz traditions."

• Like 2

Have had no desire to see that or any recent Devils show again, so never noticed. They're doing a pretty bang up job of alienating me with the 'stuff' they're putting on the field anymore. It's become more 'Broadway on drugs' than their jazz traditions, sadly....

Fixed.

To each their own, though.

Edited by dcsnare93
  • Like 2

Yeah, I know what you mean. I am one of those old fans you're talking about and I can tell you - hey, wait a minute - I love what BD does today! The history of jazz is a history of experimentation and innovation. All the greats were famous because they broke molds. BD is not a jazz museum.

• Like 1

Maybe because they realized that nobody enjoys watching BD

this is too true. Their shows don't have the entertainment value that Phantom, Bloo, Cavaliers, etc. have
  • Like 1

this is too true. Their shows don't have the entertainment value that Phantom, Bloo, Cavaliers, etc. have

I find the consistent excellence of BD's shows quite entertaining....really creative and executed, generally, at a high level......they make the difficult seem easy.

• Like 2

Yeah, I know what you mean. I am one of those old fans you're talking about and I can tell you - hey, wait a minute - I love what BD does today! The history of jazz is a history of experimentation and innovation. All the greats were famous because they broke molds. BD is not a jazz museum.

You make some good points, especially about the evolution of jazz.

The other interesting thing is that the music BD is pulling from as of late-City of Glass, some of the more "out there" material was written as far back as the 40's during the exact same time as the more traditional stuff.

He'll, The music from 2010 is ALL older than Channel One Suite.

It's fun to watch people shout for the old days when in reality they like the new school from a source material perspective anyway.