Jersey Surf 2015

When I drive to Foxboro and pay for a WC experience, I think I have the right to demand that. The kids are only performing what they are being given and IMO it’s not World Class and they did not make me clap. The kids effort, was great - thanks kids - this I applaud.

AoE

When you drove to Foxboro, you also paid to see two Open Class corps: 7th Regiment and Spartans, as well as exhibitions by Crusaders Sr. and Manchester, NH all age Muchachos.

Surf probably should work at being a bit more competitive, which they could do and still be true to their core values, but they've earned their place in WC, and if that's where they want to stay, that's where they should stay. Surf is a favorite for many reasons. One is respect for Bob Jacobs and crew. Old schoolers and kids seem to enjoy the entertainment factor, parents the values. They get the crowd worked up which sets a tone of enthusiasm for the more competitive corps. They do make a contribution.

I know comparisons have been made to Bridgemen, and they paid them tribute and their alums have worked closely with Surf. A connection has also been forged between North Star Alumni and Surf. We forget that Bridgemen did not set out to entertain. Most corps of that time were entertaining. They set out to be creative, do something different, and be competitive. Yes they entertained, but so too did other iconic corps of that day: 27th, Blue Stars, Madison, Kilties, Cavies. If you listen to stories from that time, audiences often loved Bridgemen, but they were also fierce competitors and perfectionists. Surf probably has no intention to getting to that level, but if you look at 2011, Surf had a show that was good, but generic. 2012 and 2013 saw Surf regain its creativity. 2014 was a bit more staid, but I thought demonstrated growth. 2015 Is a good show. I think if for 2016 Surf works at retaining members, steps things up a bit, things could get interesting and they could move up a few notches.

• Like 1

They havent been in World Class all that long, and while they have not been swallowed up by YEA as you mention, they DO have to compete with it. They also have competition others dont....DCA. With so many DCA corps in their back yard, many kids go there for less cost to get the training before they go elsewhere. In Surf's immediate region yes, they have the Cadets, and even Raiders....then they have:

Cabs, Bucs, C2, Fusion, Bush, Hurcs, Sun, Sky,Windsor Regiment even Excelsior, White Sabers and Erie Thunderbirds....possibly even carolina Gold.......and DCA corps are getting younger every year.

I think that's what I'm saying ... other than 1 maybe 2 DCA corps and YEA! they are the best recruiters on the block. In a very competitive arena they rival their efforts of the regions big 3. Why? They have a product that works. If they weren't taking it "seriously" they probably would not have stuck to their model of drum corps, their way gets kids in the door. I think serious or lack of serious (which I think you are referring to) comes with the experience that they want to give their kids, this is not connected to performance/show design.

When you sign up for The Cadets. You know you are getting a big time drum corps experience. But The Cadets don't count. Those kids are older, flying from all over to be a Cadet. H#ll, being in Texas is a home show for 25% of The Cadets. The Surf is a homegrown, grass roots endeavor. I'm sure they are, like other DCI corps are reaching out of their region to get a more kids then they have i the past, but they are a locally/regional specific corps. I'm guessing their being on the road longer then the past is also effecting this.

Being serious or not shouldn't stop you from putting out a product that you claim you are, WC.

Be fun

Be creative

Be energetic

Make the crowd clap

Be good at it!

AoE

Edited by AoEnut

When you drove to Foxboro, you also paid to see two Open Class corps: 7th Regiment and Spartans, as well as exhibitions by Crusaders Sr. and Manchester, NH all age Muchachos.

Surf probably should work at being a bit more competitive, which they could do and still be true to their core values, but they've earned their place in WC, and if that's where they want to stay, that's where they should stay. Surf is a favorite for many reasons. One is respect for Bob Jacobs and crew. Old schoolers and kids seem to enjoy the entertainment factor, parents the values. They get the crowd worked up which sets a tone of enthusiasm for the more competitive corps. They do make a contribution.

I know comparisons have been made to Bridgemen, and they paid them tribute and their alums have worked closely with Surf. A connection has also been forged between North Star Alumni and Surf. We forget that Bridgemen did not set out to entertain. Most corps of that time were entertaining. They set out to be creative, do something different, and be competitive. Yes they entertained, but so too did other iconic corps of that day: 27th, Blue Stars, Madison, Kilties, Cavies. If you listen to stories from that time, audiences often loved Bridgemen, but they were also fierce competitors and perfectionists. Surf probably has no intention to getting to that level, but if you look at 2011, Surf had a show that was good, but generic. 2012 and 2013 saw Surf regain its creativity. 2014 was a bit more staid, but I thought demonstrated growth. 2015 Is a good show. I think if for 2016 Surf works at retaining members, steps things up a bit, things could get interesting and they could move up a few notches.

When I drove to Foxboro and paid the ticket price that I did, I have an expectation that those corps were what they said the were.

One is respect for Bob Jacobs and crew. Old schoolers and kids seem to enjoy the entertainment factor, parents the values. They get the crowd worked up which sets a tone of enthusiasm for the more competitive corps. They do make a contribution.

I agree with much that you have said here. They do have a place because of the values that Bob holds and has instilled in the corps. Parents should feel very confident that their kids are growing in an environment that is all about it being a positive experience, as it is with most corps. The twist comes when that check book comes out. How much does that value hold weight? Can their $GREEN$ get a better value elsewhere? Their contribution should be more that just being fodder for the crowd, the Washington Generals of drum corps, thats just not fair to the kids. From the top down, in my heart of hearts I have to believe that is not the goal.

AoE

Edited by AoEnut

I agree for all of the blood sweat and tears that the volunteers, staff and kids themselves sacrifice to present a top notch performance, its not part of a circus act, it should be looked at as more competitive, given its the year of Surfs anniversary, they mindset probably diverted a little from the competitive edge that other corps have. There is potential and talent but for this season I think the focus was on fun and dedication. Im quite sure these kids expected more bang for their buck. Good Luck Surf, keep the train going forward, you are a very talented bunch!

"bang for their buck"? Is there a ratio of membership fee paid to points scored?

I agree for all of the blood sweat and tears that the volunteers, staff and kids themselves sacrifice to present a top notch performance, its not part of a circus act, it should be looked at as more competitive, given its the year of Surfs anniversary, they mindset probably diverted a little from the competitive edge that other corps have. There is potential and talent but for this season I think the focus was on fun and dedication. Im quite sure these kids expected more bang for their buck. Good Luck Surf, keep the train going forward, you are a very talented bunch!

Edited by 3rd&10

On my second viewing of Surf's show (on the feed from San Antonio), they seemed a bit more together than they had two days before, with a good brass sound. Still not going to be better than 21st in World Class, though.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

If the members are having a great time, good for them; but watching that show was like viewing, what used to be, a Div II corps performing its first full run through of the season. Louisiana Stars, The Guardians, and Genesis all seemed much more polished than Surf and they are open class corps. For an organization that's, typically, one of the very first to announce their show themes every year; they still seem very unprepared and the show very cut, paste, and cobbled together.