Carolina Crown 2015

I have a lot of questions but am almost afraid to ask

I'll ask one:

Is there some uptempo stuff in the show? I honestly just don't know... Wondering about the overall arc to the program. The opening statement is quite long. I guess some of that is pre-judged. But the drum feature is extremely long. I'm guess in construction it must follow some wicked fast brass driven piece? As it stands the judging community is bound to say "cut it in half"

I guess I don't have a good sense of the program. A lot of the source material is dark and somewhat plodding in terms of tempo. There are some fast moments, I just don't understand what sections they are using I guess.

A bit "confused" at this point regarding Crown 2015.

i dont know. some thought the drum battle in Angels and Demons went forever, and this is roughly the same length. until we see the whole picture, you dont know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYM8X_Rfmxk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCSGf-di6to

Quick before they're down.

I couldn't help uttering "holy ####" when I saw these

most impressive thing was seeing Travis Peterman not die chasing the snares LOL

• Like 2

That could be due to:

1. It's June 4th.

2. It was recorded on a slightly better than normal potato

3. It's a pre-show.

I've heard some march recordings of this portion of the show (brass only) in the school gym and it sounded a lot more impactful. It just depends on acoustics and the recording. By then end of the season, the mellos will be popping with their licks and the low brass will sound great.

Agreed. Got a call from one of my buddies who was at the rehearsal where the clips came from. His general comments were:

- still learning to march and play the sets

- plenty of time for Harloff to teach the brass line which is what they do very well

- early, early

- not moving sounds freaking awesome

Which follows my initial reaction to Dies Irae and the lack of oomph from the silence between the those big hits in that potato quality video. That sound-silence pattern helps make that song so much more powerful.

No doubt they'll get all that taken care of by August and I'd imaging by tour time it'll be very good.

Other second hand thoughts:

- brass line will be very good

- ballad rocks

- percussion is light years better

- design and music seem to work (he designs for a few HS's)

Doesn't Crown look so much better without so much junk taking up field space for little reason?

• Like 3

Doesn't Crown look so much better without so much junk taking up field space for little reason?

the difference is unbelievably astounding!

• Like 1

I got the trampolines. Maybe they didn't work out as expected but they did some pretty cool stuff with them simulating zero gravity IMO. Apparently chairs, coat racks, mirrors are ok but trampolines are a big no no.
  • Like 2

I got the trampolines. Maybe they didn't work out as expected but they did some pretty cool stuff with them simulating zero gravity IMO. Apparently chairs, coat racks, mirrors are ok but trampolines are a big no no.

To me it wasn't what they used, it was how they used it. Combine that with the mufflers up front and that stage, the little white tarps around the field, and it was quite a bit, and it was all stationary, save the trampolines. They made the field feel a lot smaller and it affected the drill IMO. BD's able to integrate theirs and write around them pretty well, and they're usually not stationary. . If you're gonna use them, use them right.

Back to 2015, yes, the big open field is a nice change.

Edited by DrumManTx

When I first saw the pre-season dress rehearsal live stream of Carolina's show last year I thought "WTF was that????" It took several viewings and then seeing it live, but I gotta say that show turned out to be one of my favorites last year in the end.

• Like 1

Chairs, coat racks, poles, and mirrors can be moved around, don't take up a lot of field space, and are not a safety hazard to members. Not only that, the trampolines were barely used at all. A lot of people don't like BD's style, but thing they know how to do is use props effectively.

• Like 2