Carolina Crown 2015

Crown's show is the only show I've seen and heard this year that I can listen to over and over and over again. Play, repeat, repeat... the music is incredible. Crown is right in the mix. Percussion is sounding better than ever. Guard is awesome. Brass is, well, just another incredible Crown brass line - ho hum! Keep it going Crown!

I would add Bluecoats to that list.

And definitely not add BD. Not like last year where I liked BD's book, this year add me to the list of those who just don't get their theme or execution of it. But I also know that no matter what, BD will deservedly be there in the end because they are always among the best in the field in their show production and playing proficiency.

I am just glad that Crown appears to have "gone back" to being a drum corps. The trampolines were an eye roller, and when you play and march as good as they do, you don't need trampolines!

I would also agree that there seems to be a very obvious (and deserved) dropoff between the top 5 and the next level of the field. Huge gap. And growing.

How about that Crown marching technique. lol

That's the part that reminds me of purgatory.

Wha????

The new flagskirts the guard uses are a much better color (orange with overtones of muted yellow and greyish-black) to give the sense of flames, particularly when they are used to envelop the horn players. One gets the real sense of being engulfed in flames. Good change.

Many clarifications, shifting of staging, and tick-cleaning have been achieved. It does not seem to be as difficult a visual book as either Cadets, SCV, or Bluecoats. Like the 1812 song about Phantom, Crown likes their straight lines, horizontal lines, files, etc.

The fluegel horn soloist in the ballad is phenomenal and definitely ranks IMHO with the likes of Bonnie Ott, Barbara Maroney, and Baritone Charlie of BAC. (Trumpet players already all think they are that level, ha, ha.) Ballad is a pure joy for reverent listening. Wonderful mood setter.

BUT why deny the Crown soloist his due acclaim by making him the RED BLOB under that individualized scrim? It's not like we don't know where the sound is coming from and search the field to find it. It looks odd at least especially if "hiding" him is supposed to draw our focus to look at what is dancing before us at the 50. Give the kid his due.

Edited by xandandl

The new flagskirts the guard uses are a much better color (orange with overtones of muted yellow and greyish-black) to give the sense of flames, particularly when they are used to envelop the horn players. One gets the real sense of being engulfed in flames. Good change.

Many clarifications, shifting of staging, and tick-cleaning have been achieved. It does not seem to be as difficult a visual book as either Cadets, SCV, or Bluecoats. Like the 1812 song about Phantom, Crown likes their straight lines, horizontal lines, files, etc.

The fluegel horn soloist in the ballad is phenomenal and definitely ranks IMHO with the likes of Bonnie Ott, Barbara Maroney, and Baritone Charlie of BAC. (Trumpet players already all think they are that level, ha, ha.) Ballad is a pure joy for reverent listening. Wonderful mood setter.

BUT why deny the Crown soloist his due acclaim by making him the RED BLOB under that individualized scrim? It's not like we don't know where the sound is coming from and search the field to find it. It looks odd at least especially if "hiding" him is supposed to draw our focus to look at what is dancing before us at the 50. Give the kid his due.

The only parallel I can make Crown's visual book with is BD's. Not difficult in the traditional sense, but plenty of segments where there are many demands on the players. They really do seem to be taking BD's approach this year (minus the thousands of white props) and it's working out for them, at least compared to last year.

The only parallel I can make Crown's visual book with is BD's. Not difficult in the traditional sense, but plenty of segments where there are many demands on the players. They really do seem to be taking BD's approach this year (minus the thousands of white props) and it's working out for them, at least compared to last year.

Agreed.

I think the visual demands, like the percussion demands in seasons previously, is meant not to interfere with the brass strengths (e.g, tonality, runs, etc.)

It's the old Star of Indiana trick often not to move when playing but to move more when horns are tacit or supplementing a soloist or small ensemble. BD has become masters at that. Not quite park and blow at all but a more musical trade-off.

Edited by xandandl

Crown's role play of the lost souls (done in a Frankenstein/Lurch type of hoblegging) and the deprived (cf. Lazarus and Abraham across the River Styx) is an excellent addition to the portrayal of the show's theme.

IF it doesn't rain, I might periscope some of Crown's ensemble tonight. Will post here if I do.

Pretty sure they're learning the "real" closer while they're here in Nazareth.

How ironic that their show is based on Hell and they're rehearsing in Nazareth...

• Like 2