Fan Network - Why have you forsaken me?

Don't know but looks like what we got from a lawyer last week. More than one sentence (unlike the quote) but buzzwords were more vague.

Basically it said "Don't do #### until you hear from me"..... sound familiar to some of the guesses here?

Edited by JimF-LowBari

So you assume the fan's interests are not in the equation just because DCI didn't do exactly what you personally think they should do?

Thanks for speaking on our behalf, but this fan would prefer they exercise whatever caution they feel they need to take.

It amazes me how much everyone thinks they know more themselves than people do about their own circumstances, professions and responsibilities.

It is also interesting that an organization they seem to think is incompetent managed to produce a product so good they can't live without it for a short period of time.

An impressive series of straw men:

- They do care about fans, but that concern was trumped (I think) by exaggerated legal caution.

- All fans want to be reasonably informed about the thing they are a fan of.

- Nobody is saying they know more than the experts, but anyone's opinion about the product we buy matters.

- DCI is highly competent, they just made a business mistake (IMO) that I find interesting.

- I have all the DCI recordings I need. For me this is about DCI business decision making.

Don't know but looks like what we got from a lawyer last week. More than one sentence (unlike the quote) but buzzwords were more vague.

Basically it said "Don't do #### until you hear from me"..... sound familiar to some of the guesses here?

I get that, but if the lawyer had said, "Withdraw a significant percent of your product line, and don't even acknowledge you did it for at least several weeks," I think you'd be looking for a new lawyer.

• Like 1

Well, at least the DCIFN is still up. The WGIFN has been pulled off the air period...

WGI Fan Network subscriber

We are writing to all past subscribers to inform you of the status of the WGI Fan Network service for the 2015 season. As valued customers, we feel it important to share with you a progress report on the challenges WGI is facing in the ever-changing world of “new media”.

Due to copyright considerations that we are diligently attempting to find affordable solutions for, the WGI Fan Network was suspended onDecember 1. Unfortunately, it now appears that we will be unable to provide online streaming performances on the Fan Network until further notice. We are investigating the possibility of a limited webcast from the WGI World Championships in April.

Please know that we are committing considerable resources towards investigating the copyright challenges everyone is facing in this evolving world. Our suspension of the Fan Network is proactive one on the part of WGI. We remain committed to providing our customers as many online performances as possible while adhering to all copyright requirements as prescribed by law.

Thank you again for your continued support of the WGI Fan Network.

The WGI Fan Network Team

I'm sure some people wanted to continue taking Tylenol.

Lawyers are risk-weighers, and they manage expectations of recovery vs. the cost to litigate. When all others in the room want to light torches and grab the pitchforks, they bring the party to an end by describing the costs for tar and feathers.

I don't doubt that DCI would think differently if there were a competing tour. But there isn't a competing tour.

Thinking about starting one?

:tounge2:

Hmm. Music in Motion? I suppose if things had gone differently in 2010 we'd have one. :cool:

Well, at least the DCIFN is still up. The WGIFN has been pulled off the air period...

WGI Fan Network subscriber

We are writing to all past subscribers to inform you of the status of the WGI Fan Network service for the 2015 season. As valued customers, we feel it important to share with you a progress report on the challenges WGI is facing in the ever-changing world of “new media”.

Due to copyright considerations that we are diligently attempting to find affordable solutions for, the WGI Fan Network was suspended onDecember 1. Unfortunately, it now appears that we will be unable to provide online streaming performances on the Fan Network until further notice. We are investigating the possibility of a limited webcast from the WGI World Championships in April.

Please know that we are committing considerable resources towards investigating the copyright challenges everyone is facing in this evolving world. Our suspension of the Fan Network is proactive one on the part of WGI. We remain committed to providing our customers as many online performances as possible while adhering to all copyright requirements as prescribed by law.

Thank you again for your continued support of the WGI Fan Network.

The WGI Fan Network Team

Thanks Skajerk,

I see three implications of this:

- WGI pulling FN was indeed due to copyright, as was generally suspected

- WGI is acknowledging the issue, and acknowledged it publicly from the start (if not the exact reason)

- Unfortunately, the costs of meeting the new copyright requirements are prohibitive, which sucks.

Hopefully the streaming sync rights are more affordable for DCI than the master rights were for WGI. But we'll see.

• Like 1

I wonder if taking this kind of hard line with organizations that are largely educational and non-profit might result in an expansion of the fair use doctrine.

tesmusic says Congress will be addressing streaming copyright soon. I wonder how organized educational/non-profits are in the sense of having an interest group that could rival the copyright holders (read: could offer similar "campaign contributions"). I would tend to doubt it. But if such an organization exists I suppose these events might help.

Does anyone actually know what the central issue of the legal order is?

We have summations based on presumed connections, and some guesses, but do we know what the actual facts are?

Comparisons and correlations to WGI and BOA. But isn't it all opinion of guesses?