Petition to Air DCI Finals on CBS

What might be even better is this (and something I posted on a facebook thread pertaining to the matter)...

Mr. Rome has always put forth a rather "macho" attitude. Through his comments, he seemed to imply not only that marchers (and by extension, fans) are dorks, but that they are also "soft" or "non-athletic." Well, if that is how he feels, more power to him. Then I suggest that he be invited to spend a week taking part in all-day rehearsals...every minute, every hour...sometime in July. In Texas.

• Like 2

To paraphrase what Hairbear put it on another thread "How much money are you going to bring in". Need sponsors lined up before going to CBS.

• Like 2

What might be even better is this (and something I posted on a facebook thread pertaining to the matter)...

Mr. Rome has always put forth a rather "macho" attitude. Through his comments, he seemed to imply not only that marchers (and by extension, fans) are dorks, but that they are also "soft" or "non-athletic." Well, if that is how he feels, more power to him. Then I suggest that he be invited to spend a week taking part in all-day rehearsals...every minute, every hour...sometime in July. In Texas.

Adding on to what you just said, I think Jim should travel to every major marching championships in the country over the next year: both of the WGI championships in April, DCI Finals in August, and BOA Grand Nationals in November. A bit of a stretch considering his schedule, but I think that would be the coolest thing.

Adding on to what you just said, I think Jim should travel to every major marching championships in the country over the next year: both of the WGI championships in April, DCI Finals in August, and BOA Grand Nationals in November. A bit of a stretch considering his schedule, but I think that would be the coolest thing.

Since he has also chosen the athletic world as a source for his fame and subsequent income, maybe he should make his feelings known -- on-air -- face-to-face with Bob Knight. Knight would most probably set him straight REAL quick. Mr. Knight is the very last person in the world I would attempt to call a "dork."

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 1

Some enterprising and connected individual acted on a hunch and made a call which ended up having the story of a snare drummer show up on the CBS evening news, which was broadcast live (as I understand it) on the jumbotron during finals. That person should make another call.

Inviting this "Jim" knucklehead to do some time with a, or several, corps could open him up to seeing humility as a brand-broadening strategy. Spend a weekend or two, do some background, go visit camps, then do the humble-pie thing, reach out to these hard-working young kids, and maybe pick up some new Twitter-follower-band-geeks.

Handled positively and with a little humble pie (he's a sports guy - he's used to the taste) the activity could get some exposure and he could gain some followers. Heck, maybe DCI should offer to produce it as a marketing expense.

Starting a "social change" petition to force a major corporation to do something against their will (or interest) only defines marching music as the ant trying to move the elephant. Let's stop acting like ants.

Stop the presses. Somebody is "offended". You know what I find offensive? The term "marching arts". And "marching arts community". As though we speak una voce. Please....

Those two terms alone drip of faux self importance. Let's leave the yearning for coveted victimhood status to others. We ARE band geeks. Own it. Love it. The mistake here was responding to Jim Rome in the first place instead of ignoring him like the rest of the universe does.

• Like 5

I think it's great that people fired back at the silly comment from Jim Rome. Some of the replies were quite funny. There are many people like him and I would assume if you've been in any band program, you've run into that kind of an attitude along the way.

He just happened to be the one who fired off his mouth and probably didn't expect what occurred as a result.

IMO the majority of people will not "get" drum corps, bands and WGI no matter what is broadcast on a major network.

• Like 2

It seems to me that, to the extent DCI executive or BOD leadership cares about this issue which may be not at all, they should follow some sage advice:

"Give the other guy a ladder with which to climb down off of his high-horse"

Invite Mr. Jim, publicly and not like a typical insulted band Mom, to experience "band dorks" up close and personal. Make a show of it, take a position as leaders of the "professional" geeks of marching music. Make it fun, and possibly funny, but with dead seriousness as the underlying tone. Don't make a passing statement about disappointment with his view. In a very nice way, challenge the bulging geek-slaughterer to stand behind his words. Pay his way. Make it easy.

Pester him (forget CBS). Keep after him with a smile and a challenge. And if he turns you down? Change the discussion:

"Chicken!"

It seems to me that, to the extent DCI executive or BOD leadership cares about this issue which may be not at all, they should follow some sage advice:

"Give the other guy a ladder with which to climb down off of his high-horse"

Invite Mr. Jim, publicly and not like a typical insulted band Mom, to experience "band dorks" up close and personal. Make a show of it, take a position as leaders of the "professional" geeks of marching music. Make it fun, and possibly funny, but with dead seriousness as the underlying tone. Don't make a passing statement about disappointment with his view. In a very nice way, challenge the bulging geek-slaughterer to stand behind his words. Pay his way. Make it easy.

Pester him (forget CBS). Keep after him with a smile and a challenge. And if he turns you down? Change the discussion:

"Chicken!"

Take him to BD....give him a contra....watch him struggle to even hold it up...make him watch vid of the girls from The Line snap those buggers around in addition to marching and playuing them (presuming there aren't any in The Line at the time).

Slap a set of tenors on him...make his march dril and try playing something like 8 on a hand while doing so...show him vid (since he's aged out) of the guy from 06 Cadets/07 BD with macular degeneration doing his thing.

Give him a rifle...have him do a quad on the move and not crack his empty head with it.

Hell...put him up on the podium and just have him (attempt to) conduct for 11 minutes....his shoulders will be on fire after 2. Bonus points for making him high-lift mark time while doing it,.

On the other hand....don't...he's not worth it...and he;s not worthy to shine the Watchmen's shoes.

• Like 1