The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

Some recent movie soundtracks I have been very impressed with:

Up (Michael Giacchino)

Star Trek (Michael Giacchino)

Avatar (James Horner) - Thanks to Lance for clearing that up.

Anyway, there are portions of those soundtracks that I believe could easily be arranged into very effective musical programs. For some reason, I feel like Crown would make the light hearted portions of the Up soundtrack fun and enjoyable. Maybe Glassmen?

Star Trek, I feel, would work well with the Boston Crusaders (maybe thats because I liked their Noecosmos Show...)

And Avatar has great percussive moments that I feel the Cavaliers would emulate quite well.

Though, honestly many corps could take the music from any of these scores and work wonders with it.

:tongue:

Jay Lo I agree with you on all of these.

Speaking of soundtracks, anyone ever listen to Back Draft? There's a lot of brass in there and really good brass I might add.

The South Park Soundtrack has good music in it too...even in the lyrics are a little.....fun lol

I think the music from West Side Story could possibly work on a football field.

You don't say...

I respectfully disagree. West Side Story could never work. The same way Malagueña could never work.

... :tongue:

Edited by DCIfan90

After seeing SCV do Appalachian Spring this year (I know they are already doing bartok), but maybe in a few years they could do

Copland's Outdoor Overture. It's a great piece.

Also I would love to see a corps tackle On the Waterfront again. I really liked when SCV did it in their 1997 show Fog City Sketches

LMFAO! :rolleyes:

After seeing SCV do Appalachian Spring this year (I know they are already doing bartok), but maybe in a few years they could do

Copland's Outdoor Overture. It's a great piece.

Also I would love to see a corps tackle On the Waterfront again. I really liked when SCV did it in their 1997 show Fog City Sketches

YES!

<Thats really all drum corps shows are...a few moments strung together. Personally, thats why I think that soundtracks work so well in marching band/drum corps>

This is, in one simple sentence, what separates a lot of the current crop of drum corps fans from some of the older ones. I could not disagree more with the position it represents. Yet for most of drum corps history that's been the pattern. My favorite shows are almost always ones that present some kind of unified musical message. To me, 10-12 minutes is ONE piece - one moment...not 3-12 moments. For that reason, I cared little for the Crown show that was nothing but endings that they did a couple of years ago. I also disliked the 60s and 70s shows that would play 1 minute of Mahler 7, then go right into some Maynard tune, only to shudder over into Calypso.

Even though a film score is composed by one person, that does not mean the music will fit together. Many film composers are tasked with writing rather bland music that will prop up the scene without being too good. How fortunate we are that Williams and a few other composers have been able to rise above to muzak-like plateau of the usual Hollywood fare. But even then, a Williams show would suffer from the extreme familiarity of the music. The audience would be continually comparing the music in the drum corps setting to the many film viewings - a high hurdle for any corps.

The best shows (imo...as always...) take music and create a new art - a music and visual treat that stands alone: drum corps. Godfather, Spin Cycle, the '01 Cadets show, SCV 04, Phantom 93, 96 and 08, 93 Star, and many more have accomplished this. But many more have not...