The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

It has been mentioned several times that Lauridsen does not allow his works to be arranged for the marching arts. Perhaps he's finally lifted it?

If he did, that'd be the ballad to end all ballads right there. Had always heard of that piece but I had never listened to it. That is absolutely DIVINE. Wow.

LOVE this thread for all the music it introduces me to.

• Like 1

It has been mentioned several times that Lauridsen does not allow his works to be arranged for the marching arts. Perhaps he's finally lifted it?

I'm sorry, Cadevilina...it must have escaped my notice. Please forgive my ignorance. I'm not on here with my former regularity.

Edited by HornTeacher

If he did, that'd be the ballad to end all ballads right there. Had always heard of that piece but I had never listened to it. That is absolutely DIVINE. Wow.

LOVE this thread for all the music it introduces me to.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, DrumMan. It's relatively new to me as well. However, I too find it to be an incredible experience -- right up there with the Barber Adagio.

I really like this topic, every time I hear something I wonder who could play that.........particularly percussion ensemble works as of late. Not done too often, but when it does it can work really well, especially if it is a more Percussion Orchestra type piece. Vanguard's 2000 "Stained Glass" segments come to mind.

Limerick Daydreams - Nathan Daugherty (Percussion Ensemble Version)

Corps - Pioneer

Really refreshing and beautiful layering and scoring that I could see transferring to a brass line really well, and fits right into Pioneers wheelhouse while being a little bit more current. I know they're trying to move away from that box it seems, but this would be a nice work to see them tackle. Really fun piece.

Prelude to Paradise - Jacob Remington

Corps - Bluecoats?

One of my favorite pieces I've been a part of as a performer in any setting, INCREDIBLY intense, high octane, and in your face work. Subject matter is the events leading up to the end of days in the book of Revelations. Would make killer material for a drum feature. I'm thinking Duncanville high school used this in one of their recent shows.

Enigma Variations - Elgar (No, not just Nimrod)

Outside of Nimrod, this has barely been used which I find kind of surprising. You could definitely build a show around out, CT Johnson did in the high school world infusing it with modern stuff and it was FANTASTIC. Had the pleasure of performing this at TMEA this year and it was an amazing experience, absolutely beautiful music.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 1

Performing this later in April with a choir in Milwaukee, but this has a lot of potential as a closer for Blue Knights, Cadets, or SCV Cadets.

Edited by Toby

I learn a lot from this thread and appreciate all the contributions! I've been listening to my Gary Burton Quartet a lot lately. Good vibes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCrxUjIYb88

I like textures and layers of music in drum corps. This piece is laid back but the pit is getting really good in WGI and DCI. Kudos to the kids in front.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back!

This past week, I went with my school's choir on a field trip to New York City and saw the musical Finding Neverland, which was absolutely wonderful. There were quite a few selections that I think could work well on the field, but especially this one (minus all the modulations):

Edited by Cadevilina Crown
  • Like 2