The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

I wish a corps would do some anime music, I know Blue stars and Mandarins did some in 04, but they did not play it too well. I hope someone comes out with an anime show soon, there is some really good music in the anime world.

I don't care who, but someone needs to play some music by Two Steps From Hell. Pick just about any song and you have a kick-### piece of music.

This please! Would love to heard a drum corp arrangement of any Two Steps from Hell piece.

For the first time in my experience, I recently saw a marching band perform a John Cage piece: "Living Room Music", including the Gertrude Stein quotations. They weren't a great band by any means, but I rather liked that aspect of their show. People joke a lot about having a corps or band perform "4'33"", but I wonder if anything else by Cage would work on the field.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the bands at BoA's grand nationals, Dublin Coffman, performed Jonathan Newman's "Blow It Up, Start Again", and while the band scored in the middle of the pack (I thought they just might make it into Semifinals, but alas, no: 39th out of 95), that particular number was very catchy. A jazzy orchestral piece. Here's Eric Whitacre conducting the European premiere:

For the first time in my experience, I recently saw a marching band perform a John Cage piece: "Living Room Music", including the Gertrude Stein quotations. They weren't a great band by any means, but I rather liked that aspect of their show. People joke a lot about having a corps or band perform "4'33"", but I wonder if anything else by Cage would work on the field.

it would take one heck of a leap for a paying audience, and I fear that such would not be met with a whole lot of popular approval. But, I'll bite...

Show Title: UnCaged

Program:

1) Sixteen Dances (1950/51)

2) Works of Calder (1949/50)

3) Imaginary Landscape No. 3 (1942)

4) Fads and Fancies In The Academy (1940)

Imagination would have to be used in orchestrating/scoring/producing the tonal sounds explored by Cage to an ensemble consisting of brass instruments. And I cannot imagine a single Drum and Bugle Corps attempting such a risky program. But...it's an attempt at answering your question.

• Like 2