The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

20 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

I love Liszt, what an interesting character he was.  You could not only use his music for a show but the man himself for thematic content, that whole era of virtuoso's and creating music that was just bonkers to play is super interesting to read about.  Or I'm just a huge nerd which is entirely possible.  

The first real music celebrity.

Actually, I'm liking this idea. Kind of a mix of "15 Minutes of Fame" and "Rach Star." You could add in some audio from Lisztomania by Phoenix. 

On 3/27/2018 at 8:31 AM, kdaddy said:

Definitely not enough Liszt in drum corps. I'd support a drum corps show called Bucket Liszt.

I don’t think we hear enough Liszt period.  Back in the day Liszt was concert hall staple, and a favorite of conductors ranging fromvon Karajan to Fiedler. I subscribed to the Boston Symphony for many years and I can’t recall the last time I heard Liszt at Symphony Hall. 

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

I don’t think we hear enough Liszt period.  Back in the day Liszt was concert hall staple, and a favorite of conductors ranging from von Karajan to Fiedler. I subscribed to the Boston Symphony for many years and I can’t recall the last time I heard Liszt at Symphony Hall. 

My sense, based only on a few comments by music critics I read now and again, is that Liszt is now thought of as flashy but second-rate.

15 hours ago, Tim K said:

I don’t think we hear enough Liszt period.  Back in the day Liszt was concert hall staple, and a favorite of conductors ranging fromvon Karajan to Fiedler. I subscribed to the Boston Symphony for many years and I can’t recall the last time I heard Liszt at Symphony Hall. 

Piano Concertos 1 and 2 still get a lot of love, but it's surprising the extent to which the preferred composer of tone poems among those that program "classics" series seems to clearly be Strauss over Lizst by a mile. 

14 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

My sense, based only on a few comments by music critics I read now and again, is that Liszt is now thought of as flashy but second-rate.

Certainly an interesting discussion among musicologist and critic circles.  We delved into that a little bit a few weeks ago on both sides.  

15 hours ago, Tim K said:

37 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

Piano Concertos 1 and 2 still get a lot of love, but it's surprising the extent to which the preferred composer of tone poems among those that program "classics" series seems to clearly be Strauss over Lizst by a mile. 

I still really want Phantom to tackle Liszt's most famous symphonic poem, Les préludesPrometheusOrpheus and Mazeppa would also work on the field if arranged well.

And speaking of Strauss, we never hear much of his music on the field outside of the opening of Also Sprach Zarathustra. I really want to hear more. AlpensinfonieTod und VerklarungFeierlicher Einzug... So much of his (instrumental) music has that expansive, brassy content I just love hearing on the field. Not to mention this underrated opera intermezzo that would make a perfect ballad:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

And speaking of Strauss, we never hear much of his music on the field outside of the opening of Also Sprach Zarathustra. I really want to hear more. AlpensinfonieTod und VerklarungFeierlicher Einzug... So much of his (instrumental) music has that expansive, brassy content I just love hearing on the field. Not to mention this underrated opera intermezzo that would make a perfect ballad:

Cavies played Don Juan (my favorite of his) a couple times, but I agree. We heard a little snippet of A Hero's Life from Regiment in 2008 (the opening fanfare), but I'd love to hear more. (below is a great performance by an unsung American orchestra). Also, I'd like to hear some Till Eulenspiegel. 

On 4/1/2018 at 1:26 AM, N.E. Brigand said:

Liszt and Berlioz both seem to go from being geniuses one minute to having little substance at other moments. It’s a matter of opinion. We had a dry spell of Berlioz for a while in Boston, even though Symphony Fantastique has been a BSO signature piece for years and then then conductor Seiji Ozawa was known for his interpretation of the French repertoire. A few years later and Berlioz was back again. The same could happen with Liszt. All this reminded me of two great pieces by Berlioz “The Damnation of Faust” and “Les Troyens.” My guess is the March has been used in the past by some corps. Another French opera championed by Ozawa is Offenbach’s “Tales of Hoffman.” It’s a great theme for a corps with sophisticated music that’s fun and enjoyable. I think Phantom could give the Berlioz works justice and Academy could have a great time with Hoffman.