The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

As I posted in another thread, I've always to see a corps perform Gazebo Dances by Corigliano. I think it'd hearken back to the Cadets' 90s glory days when they'd perform something with a little whimsy (e.g., the Sparke stuff in 1997).

the whimsical Waltz:

the driving Tarantella:

After listening to the marvelous work that Michael Klesch did with Jarre's "Ghost" soundtrack for Academy, I'd love to hear what he would do with this as a ballad:

Juliet part 2?

• Like 1

I wish a corps would do some anime music, I know Blue stars and Mandarins did some in 04, but they did not play it too well. I hope someone comes out with an anime show soon, there is some really good music in the anime world.

Madison Scouts 1998! Best anime music ever put on the field. That worked way better than it should have.

After listening to the marvelous work that Michael Klesch did with Jarre's "Ghost" soundtrack for Academy, I'd love to hear what he would do with this [Lee Holdridge's "East of Eden"] as a ballad.

Hoping for lightning to strike twice? Didn't you recommend that piece before Phantom performed it in 2011?

Edit: I see that someone else already pointed that out to you. Sorry for the duplication.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

I see that the BBC recently polled more than 150 conductors, including some big names, and asked each of them to name the three greatest symphonies. Tabulating those responses, they came up with a top 20 (some commentary on the list appears here, where I learned of the poll). Here they are in chronological order, with mentions of some of the more notable performances in DCI:

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Symphony No. 40 (1788)

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Symphony No. 41, Jupiter (1788)

Ludwig van Beethoven: Symphony No. 3, Eroica (1804)

Ludwig van Beethoven: Symphony No. 5 (1808) -- Glassmen 2006

Ludwig van Beethoven: Symphony No. 6, Pastoral (1808)

Ludwig van Beethoven: Symphony No. 7 (1812)

Ludwig van Beethoven: Symphony No. 9 (1824) -- Phantom Regiment 1977, 1978; Carolina Crown 2015; Boston Crusaders 2005; Blue Knights 1998

Hector Berlioz: Symphonie fantastique (1830) -- Kingsmen 1974, Phantom Regiment 1985

Johannes Brahms: Symphony No. 1 (1876)

Johannes Brahms: Symphony No. 2 (1877)

Johannes Brahms: Symphony No. 3 (1883)

Anton Bruckner: Symphony No. 7 (1883)

Johannes Brahms: Symphony No. 4 (1884) -- Blue Knights 2010

Anton Bruckner: Symphony No. 8 (1890) -- Cavaliers 2015

Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 6, Pathétique (1893) -- Phantom Regiment 1976, 1999; Blue Knights 1998

Gustav Mahler: Symphony No. 2, Resurrection (1894) -- Phantom Regiment 2006, 1986; Carolina Crown 2010

Gustav Mahler: Symphony No. 3 (1896)

Gustav Mahler: Symphony No. 9 (1909)

Jean Sibelius: Symphony No. 7 (1924)

Dmitri Shostakovich: Symphony No. 5 (1937) -- Phantom Regiment 1996, 1974

Been thinking about The Academy a lot.

Maybe too serious, but I think they could pull off a "Somewhere in Time" show. With how beautiful their closer is this year, doing that kind of beauty over 12 minutes could be really stunning. I can only imagine the costuming for them too. I would kill to hear them to a full on 3 minute ballad opener of the main titles from that. Ugh.

On the more humorous/fun route, I still think that Silent Film idea someone jokingly brought up earlier in the season would actually fit them perfectly, not sure on the music, but what they could do with that kind of comedy could be REALLY fun.

I'm sure I'll come up with more.

I hardcore second that notion about the Somewhere In Time Main Titles. But it sounds more like a closer than an opener to me. And though we'll probably never hear this played by a corps, I long to hear an excellent brass line play it

Hoping for lightning to strike twice? Didn't you recommend that piece before Phantom performed it in 2011?

Edit: I see that someone else already pointed that out to you. Sorry for the duplication.

I have been recommending East of Eden for the past 15 years, so I was sooooo happy when Phantom did it.

Can't believe I forgot.

No disrespect at all to the Cadets, but I still really really really want a corps to give "The Place Where Dreams Come True" from the Field of Dreams soundtrack its day in the sun.

I've had it in my wish list since I started this thread 8 years ago, and great as what the Cadets did was, I want more.

In particular, Id love the first 2 minutes or so done relatively un-chop-n-bopped.

I always think of angels, or hope, or childhood when I hear it. A little derivative of Copland, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Edited by Lance