The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

I recently discovered a Turkish-American composer by the name of Kamran Ince, who is a professor of composition at the University of Memphis. Can't find any YT videos, but check out some of the Amazon.com samples for his Symphony No. 2 "The Fall of Constantinople" and Symphony No. 3 "The Siege of Vienna". Sounds very DCI-worthy.

I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but I want a corps to do a House Music show. Not necessarily electronic based, but no one's ever done a show (as far as I know) where the goal is to actually get people out of their seats to dance. 11.5 minutes of 4 bar beats, rhythmic notes and a lot of heavy chords. And it would give corps a lot of opportunity to use some weird brass effects, like BD's space chords from '03.

• Like 1

Regiment - Alpine Symphony (Richard Strauss)

Bluecoats - Wagon & Artistry in Percussion (Stan Kenton)

Agree with Bruckner's 8th also, Shostakovitch 10th, 11th, and 12th. SCV did some of the 12th I believe in '05.

VANGUARD:

• 2014 Phantom of the Opera 25th anniversary show??
  • Indigo by Epica. SCV had the best ballad this year (The Eternal Knot) and I feel like they could use this to make another awesome ballad. Or a pretty awesome opener/preshow.

CAROLINA CROWN:

CADETS:

• Alice in Musicland would be awesome to play on the field. Yes, it's a vocaloid, and yes, it's in Japanese. But I think there's potential for this to translate well on the field (And to follow up 2005 and 2006) tongue.gif

BLUECOATS:

• I could see this being the opener similar to Brave New World, with members dancing and doing choreography while grabbing their instruments.

I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but I want a corps to do a House Music show. Not necessarily electronic based, but no one's ever done a show (as far as I know) where the goal is to actually get people out of their seats to dance.

This is exactly what the drum corps in Africa strive to do (I think they are called the Field Bands, or something like that). But I don't think it would work in DCI these days, because establishing a groove isn't rewarded. In fact it might even cost a corps points because I suspect it wouldn't be considered as demanding as changing time signatures every few bars. Too bad, because establishing a powerful groove is one of the defining characteristics of great music, and one of the most difficult things to achieve. I'd love to see it return to junior corps. It would also be incredibly fun to perform.

Arturo Marquez Danzon #2! I would love to hear that on the field. Come on Madison bring back a Drum Corp Fans

Dreams part tres and include it in there!

James Barnes Symphony #3 the Tragic. I remember reading that it was banned from marching band and drum corp though through a site that listed pieces and composers who band their compositions from marching events. I performed the work with my Universitie's Wind Symphony and thought that it would make an amazing show. The Symphony was dedicated to his deceased infant daughter. It truly is a masterpiece.

I would love to see the Blue Knights continue the wind band literature shows and do an all Alfred Reed Show next year.

They can draw from Armenian Dances, El Camino Real, Hounds of Spring, and Russian Christmas Music. That would be an epic show

Someone mentioned Kamran Ince...always looking for young, interesting composers. Found nothing wind band or orchestral on youtube...but I did find THIS:

It's from a first reading on his new opera - so it's only piano accompaniment...and at first I thought, 'well, this wouldn't work...I'll turn it off", but I stayed my hand a moment, because the music was building in power, and I thought,'hmmm, where is he going with this?' So I stayed the 2 1/2 minutes - worth it! There is great power in repetition...something drum corps has often used to great effect. I could hear this working -

Here ya go...found some...though it's only 30 second swatches of sound...scroll down once you go there...

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/1191140/a/Kamran+Ince%3A+Fall+of+Constantinople+%2F+David+A.+Miller.htm

Edited by FHdork

Someone mentioned Kamran Ince. Always looking for young, interesting composers ... found nothing wind band or orchestral on youtube, but I did find THIS:

I like it, and am reminded, just a little, of Delibes' "Flower Duet", which Phantom played in 2007.

Here ya go--found some, though it's only 30 second swatches of sound. Scroll down once you go there: Fall of Constantinople

Thanks!