The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

<Land of Make Believe

Hide and Seek

Feels So Good

Land of Make Believe reprise >

I have nightmares where a corps will actually do this...

If there is any hope for drum corps, it lies in never, ever, playing anything by 1970s/1980s Chuck Mangione -

:thumbup:

Back in 78 I was a band director, and I decided in that era of using Mangione that I'd do "Feels So Good", so arranged it for my band. I HATED that song by the end of band camp...and I still had three months to go with it! :tongue:

I know we've had lots of these before, but I don't want to dig them back up. I'm hoping that people will put up pieces that have never-or at least, rarely-been done. Any genre is fine, and feel free to say which corps would fit best with the piece. My list, which I'll probably update from time to time.:

Orchestral pieces

Low Symphony—Philip Glass (any corps, please just do it)

Suite for Organ, Brass Quintet, and Percussion—Craig Phillips (Cavies or Phantom)

Radical Light—Don Freund (SCV, Phantom, BK, Boston)

Symphony Concertante for Organ and Orchestra—Jongen (Phantom, please) link to mp3

Prayer of St. Gregory—Alan Hovhaness (ANYTHING by Hovhaness, really) link to mp3

Tabuh Tabuhan—Colin McPhee (Crown, Bluecoats, SCV) link to mp3

Made in America—Joan Tower (SCV, BK, The Cadets)

Prelude and Scherzo—Brett Baker

Four Sea Interludes—Benjamin Britten (Phantom, SCV, or BK) link to mp3

Symphony 6—Bruckner (Phantom or BK)

Symphony #5 ½ —Don Gillis

Variations, Chaconne and Finale—Norman Dello Joio

Symphony #1 (The Titan) —Gustav Mahler (Phantom, please)

Epigrams—Zoltan Kodaly (Would love to see the GMen tackle this)

Gaelic Symphony (in E-minor) —Amy Beach (Pioneer!, or Phantom, SCV, BK, the Cadets)

Wind Ensemble/Brass Ensemble pieces

Baron Cimetiere's March (thanks to Nikk for commissioning this one)—Donald Grantham

Trauersinfonie—Wagner (could be an instant classic for Phantom just like Elsa's Procession)

Casanova—De Meij

Journey into Freedom—Eric Ball link to mp3

Choral

How They So Softly Rest—Healey Willan link to mp3

Miserere nostri, Domine—Thomas Tallis

Libera nos I & II—John Sheppard link to mp3

Soundtracks

End Credits to the Film Little Children-Thomas Newman (love this track)

The Day is Yours (Henry V soundtrack) —Patrick Doyle (Crown or Phantom) link to mp3

Chevaliers de Sangreal—Hanz Zimmer (the only thing I've ever liked by him) (SCV or the Cadets) link to mp3

The Place Where Dreams Come True James Horner

Other

Our Prayer—Brian Wilson (Crown or the Cadets)

Great work on this list. I would especially like to listen to some Joan Tower, but also all the others. Any suggestions about getting some tastes over my limited laptop?

Kevin

:thumbup:

Back in 78 I was a band director, and I decided in that era of using Mangione that I'd do "Feels So Good", so arranged it for my band. I HATED that song by the end of band camp...and I still had three months to go with it! :tongue:

Do you still have the arrangement ?

I still say everytime I show my elem students "Little Toot", it would make a great show. It's even got the ballard part.

The harmony's that the Andrew Sisters sing along with the jazz band.......ohhhhhh yes