I love this show. This is pushing the boundaries in a way that works, so very well. The most mindblowing thing to me is that most of the effects coming out of the speakers are being live-mixed from what they're playing on the field, as opposed to pre-recorded clips.

If they get it clean and keep developing it correctly, this is going to be a benchmark show in DCI history.

• Like 2

I think he means in reference to the sound effects that do not come out the same. I have seen this show live. I have seen (ahem) three different digital recordings of it; two from a theatre and one from a periscope app. The recorded versions are bastardizations to the spatial auditory effects in the show and I am sure Tom Blair will be scratching his head how to best recreate these things on Blu-Ray.

If you haven't seen this show live, then you simply can't debate which venue hurts this program more than any other corps. The live science effects created (multiple doppler and other type things I'm not even sure if there are words for yet) can't be heard on the recordings I have seen. Now, Cadets and Crown have great shows but what I think mingusmonk was suggesting is that the Bluecoats show has sound effects that can't be recreated in a theatre or at home, unless it has a 27-point Dolby system in a HUGE room. Yes, there are created electronic sound effects but that is not what makes the show unique from an auditory standpoint. Space and distance are used in such ways that recreating the dimensions of a football field in your entertainment room will be tough, not to mention the volume necessary to match it live.

:withstupid: Except he ain't stupid. Thank you for clarifying my intent. Due to this fiasco, I tried to be more clear in the Indy show thread.

If you didn't use electronics, you wouldn't have that problem

They had an issue at the first show. You're right. They should eliminate electronics. There was some dirt in the colorguard. They wouldn't have that problem if they only had one flag.

• Like 3

If they get it clean and keep developing it correctly, this is going to be a benchmark show in DCI history.

Which means a person, unable to march with the corps, is assisting in gaining points for the corps. And this comment can be made in regard of most DCI corps.

Haha you said it...it is electronics with some brass and percussion contribution lol.

So short sighted. Bluecoats have set the mark for electronics being integrated into drum corps

Edited by Pes49
  • Like 1

The 2015 Bluecoats are presenting THE MOST revolutionary show we've seen since 1993 Star of Indiana. Period. You can make a argument with Blue Devils 2010 (with the mirrors), but the use of effects, electronics, surround sound, minimalist music construction, mixing techniques, and then bringing the visual into the mix in such a gorgeous and evocative way is truly wonderful.

Not everyone will like it, and not every corps should follow suit, but the activity has been heading this way for some time with a lot of experimentation. The Bluecoats and Blue Devils, to me, have done the best job of pushing it forward in a logical way. Bluecoats have been the leaders and have a better understanding of audio setup, clarity, mixing, and construction of a show around these components. But this year's Bluecoats takes the whole thing to another level where we can clearly say "This show was designed to be modern, electronic, something completely new, yet with excellent brass and percussion contributions." There is nothing straight-forward about this show. It's a whole new experience for drum corps fans. I personally like it even more than last year's show.

Mark my words...the activity will follow.

Let's hope not.