How can you effectively judge this show against other shows that depend less heavily on electronics and noises and more on brass/percussion-generated effects. I don't see how it's possible since more can be done with the synthesizers. They will win over the efforts non-synthesized shows can offer.

Well, for starters, who says they're sure to win? They didn't last night. You can bet that other designers who feel that their brass is doing more work than Bloo's will find subtle ways of making that point to judges over the course of the season. Maybe the judges will agree.

Mark my words... the activity will follow.

Let the other corps tread carefully! The Bluecoats may be like Gollum leading Frodo and Sam through the Dead Marshes. Don't miss a step, or you'll drown in the mire.

• Like 2

Yes, I like what Bluecoats are doing in that they've carved out a nice new identity and it works well for them. Having said that, I don't want Cadets to lose their identity of amazing visual moment or Crown's great brass sound with an over emphasis on electronics. Bluecoats excel in this area but not all groups do or want to. I like that the identities of each corps are blatant this year and all are doing what they do rather impressively IMO. Its the making of a great season.

Edited by Tobias
  • Like 2

Well, for starters, who says they're sure to win? They didn't last night. You can bet that other designers who feel that their brass is doing more work than Bloo's will find subtle ways of making that point to judges over the course of the season. Maybe the judges will agree.

Thank you. I think a lot of people haven't realized who won the show last night. This isn't to say that Bluecoats won't win, nor is it to take away from how good their show is (according to the people who have seen it; I haven't seen it), but until they do win a show, I am not going to count any chickens before they hatch.

• Like 1

It is always interesting seeing something after reading ultra-hype and comparing what you have built up in your head to what you actually see. In this case I was not mind-blown like I expected to be.

I watched the low quality theater pirate of Bluecoats, and think it is a great show with a lot of potential, and even potential to win the whole thing.

I, however, did not find it as envelope pushing as some here have said. Maybe I am too focused on the visual, don't know.

Nonetheless great show, and it will be an interesting season.

Also, lots of love for the one leg lifted behind your body thing. That must be in style this year :cool:

It is always interesting seeing something after reading ultra-hype and comparing what you have built up in your head to what you actually see. In this case I was not mind-blown like I expected to be.

I watched the low quality theater pirate of Bluecoats, and think it is a great show with a lot of potential, and even potential to win the whole thing.

I, however, did not find it as envelope pushing as some here have said. Maybe I am too focused on the visual, don't know.

The key words there are "low quality theater pirate." They definitely have work to do to improve effect, especially with the color guard, which was generating surprisingly low impact, but with the theater surround sound, the overall effect of the show was pretty jaw-dropping. It's almost etherial, and there were times where the muted horns produced a sound, spatially positioned as they are, which was somehow perfectly represented by the metallic colors, shapes and motion of the gyro-balls. It's hard to describe, but it just really, really, really works. Most refreshing thing I've seen by anyone other than the Blue Devils.

• Like 2

Let the other corps tread carefully! The Bluecoats may be like Gollum leading Frodo and Sam through the Dead Marshes. Don't miss a step, or you'll drown in the mire.

agree

30 corps trying to the same thing for the next 10 years would be a disaster. Other corps may have a little riff of it here and there but it’d be more of a hint, not the full commitment of the big sound system

It works because they’re the only ones doing it, if everyone follows, as is so often the case in the faux-innovation of the band world, it will be dance dance revolution and we’ll only being judging guard in other words, WGI

nice to see Bloo in front of Devils who may want to rethink their K-pop cause it just got toasted and it's effect stomped on

Do you know something we don't? Devs haven't had a show yet.

I saw their family day thing on video

Devs have an electronic section that was interesting mainly because it was bold and new now it looks small and greatly diminishes the effect and that’s all it was; effect. Figured how to clean up the visual in it though, maybe I should go back to that thread and tell them