Indy annual this week

Comments anyone about this year's annual DCI meeting, formerly known as the Janual?

While not a Rules Congress year, policy and procedure sometimes is generated from the discussions of admin and faculty.

All the best to those marching members attending the leadership program.

Back to the original board structure this time?

There you go... trying to insert drama into this. :tongue:

For those of who don't do Twitter, can someone post some comments, please?

Speak when you are angry and

you will make the best speech you will ever regret

Ambrose Bierce

This would be an excellent quote for me to carry with me at past DCI meetings . These days - I rarely get angry. For it's as I teach - we may not control the stressor , but we control our reaction to the intrusion .

What is sad, although I am sure many are grateful - I decided some years ago that with the 44 years I have left on the earth , there are decisions I need to make in terms of the use of my time and passion.

Would I rather have 1000 kids in Xcape , would I rather direct some kick ### musical ensembles , would I rather cure the funding model for YEA! , or should my time be devoted to the debates that forever surround DCI .

The joy of DCI comes from the corps - the kids !!!!! Hell I have loved every rehearsal I have been at this year. I doubt that my passion for governance , change and growth, that used to he part and parcel of who I am , will rise above a 6.0 . I still believe in a far different tomorrow but there is a clear message they the road we travel will be the road we travel .

I should bring Gregory Pych to these meetings . He used to at least #### me off when he would argue against our own organizations views smile emoticon

And we did have fun - lots of fun . Oh for the days when the board was made up of crazy , passionate and devoted directors who vacationed together , ate and drank together , then argued and debated like lunatics .

This is my 36th annual DCI meeting. Total meetings ??? Has to be 150 including all of the committee meetings . How many days ??? I bet 365 or more so yes indeed .... I have spent a year of my life representing the Cadets , fighting for what I viewed as progress , bringing in teachers to assist the membership in learning of non profit management techniques, and much much more

I lost more votes than I won but I never gave up. It took 10 years for brass changes and 10 years for electronics and many years for boundary fixes and a host of governance issues

The time was worth the effort for their was a return to the corps. Sure we make mistakes but it was not for lack of trying . We knew the furthest we could see into the future was a few years and maybe that's all we had brain cells to understand smile emoticon

But I always knew that the effort and the passion for tomorrow was first and foremost for all - even for those whom I could barely speak to.

Today ??

Well it's different

The meetings will include an exchange of information and a few votes on matters that are already decided. Some key players will not be here. Others will sit in front of their computers and answer e mail smile emoticon

And now and then there will be a pushback from the body regarding issues. But dissension of short lived . It's about the bonding of the collective

I arrive today at 1 pm and I will be in the air at 7 am Sunday . Total meeting time --- about a day and a half. Big decisions ?

Changes in direction ?

Kick ### initiatives ?

Hard to come by and even harder to imagine - at least to me

At the end of the day , all are good people. All want what they see as the best . This I know

I guess I still march to the beat of a different drummer?? Perhaps all those years playing snare in the CROSSMEN will forever follow me smile emoticon

Happy weekend all

Hop

George Hopkins _Gr8Yagnmzs.pngtraveling to Indianapolis, Indiana from Philadelphia International Airport Terminal A-East

Edited by perc2100