Indy annual this week

Boy, seeing some of the discussions from a year ago in the other thread reminded me of those spirited debates. I clicked on the spending cap link and saw that, hey, that was my thread! Jeesh, I'd forgotten.

What's interesting and, maybe, germane is what seems to have developed since those discussions and, frankly, since the whole G7 kerfuffle. If spending caps are a way (good or not) to level some playing field, I sense that a natural evolution of that is already taking place. I have no real evidence for the claim, but examples seem to point clearly to me that there is a spirit of, well, cooperation going on as the wounds have healed. Small things that make up the bigger picture. For one example, non-"G7" corps more frequently participating in TOC shows - the participants get a bigger cut. There are others - partnerships, joint ventures, co-participation things going on. Again, none is real evidence that assures I'm right, but I see a natural leveling of the field happening as we watch. I heard that Academy has absorbed or teamed with a 50-person SoundSport team.

In my view, the idea of sharing ideas, cooperating as much as a group as possible, accepting differing agendas and finding ways to utilize the benefits of each seems to be taking hold, to my very external eyes. If that means that 5 years has been enough time for heads like George's to cool enough to stop arguing and start cooperating, then great, I hope so. If it means that more corps got "the message" and ramped themselves up to show the growth that was a centerpiece of the G7 exasperation, then great, too. In any case it's a "leveling". Somehow I doubt that the directors are singing songs to each other, but I do think they are finding ways to work together more frequently recently. I think that might be a SIGNS. (<-- Movie of the year, IMO) and is probably a best, natural result of a near-divorce. What's also interesting to me anyway is that these "co-operations" seem to be the types of things that don't, necessarily, require the DCI Executive Office's participation other than scheduling duties. The corps are doing it themselves and I'd view that as a type of "leveling" that doesn't need or include caps or restrictions. Yea, maybe, Sharin' the Love ($1 to Surf).

I'm glad Hop still has the interest and enthusiasm to put up with another meeting. I WOULD remind him that he shouldn't belly-ache - most of the stuff he's lived with was his own doing, as he hints to. And I'm glad to see him restate his commitment to his kids which, for gosh sakes, no sane person could doubt or challenge.

This year, if I recall, they go back to the Pre-G7 days of governorship - elections and all. I don't know exactly what that means or if things have changed since, but it appears that they are all ready to be in the same room together again. If those other examples of cooperation I see are kept in focus this weekend, they might more be shaking hands, patting each others' backs, throwing back some adult beverages, and hashing things out.

There are hurdles to clear, responsibilities to assign, goals to set. I, for one, am pretty excited about both this weekend and also the future of the activity because I see the playing field leveling (or Tilting) in a different way.

Let's hope the BOD directors feel the same way come Sunday night.

Edited by garfield

I'm sure they're tedious but necessary. Baring the adoption of water sports, I'm sure these directors share the desire to address common problems all corps share. Travel expenses, housing issues, if extra credit can be given so BD can win with over 100 at finals.

As Ronald Reagan said, “There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit."

FYI ... though Ronald Reagan used to say it, and had it written on his desk on a plaque, here is the true origin ...

http://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/12/21/doing-good-selfless/

Edited by Paul Milano