Mid-season show changes

Side note: are there metrics on repeat audience members? Like, what percentage of the fans at a show see multiple shows?

We saw Cadets '95 many times. They went through about 85 endings at last count. Wait... they just changed it again! I kid, because I love that show, but it evolved. At one point, all the men marched off the field leaving the women behind (remember, it was a WWII show). They removed their shakos to clarify they were all female. That was the first time I remember seeing (knowing) a female contra player. :flower::cheer:

• Like 1

Although I was on tour with the corps for each of the shows the OP mentions, my memory is fuzzy on what specific date the specific change for the specific show happened; the house fire also wiped out my journals and commentaries from those years.

Perhaps ask a specific marching member of each of those competitive seasons. I would not be surprised if your answer also included several other changes that didn't quite make the field.

Oh, don't worry. I emailed Cesario. I can't WAIT to read it!!!

1976 Madison did a complete show change between the first & second tour. First show did not work so the worked on bus on new show, and put it on field between tours (tour then was divided into 2 halfs - June, home 2 weeks - late Jul to Aug).

And they came in 2nd at DCI.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

1976 Madison did a complete show change between the first & second tour. First show did not work so the worked on bus on new show, and put it on field between tours (tour then was divided into 2 halfs - June, home 2 weeks - late Jul to Aug).

And they came in 2nd at DCI.

The Scouts' original show (which I heard, but did not see) was "Lady Sings The Blues." New show was mostly a rehash of 75 show, except with "Stars and Stripes Forever" as the opener. The 75 Championship show was the first time I'd seen drum corps on video.

The Scouts' original show (which I heard, but did not see) was "Lady Sings The Blues." New show was mostly a rehash of 75 show, except with "Stars and Stripes Forever" as the opener. The 75 Championship show was the first time I'd seen drum corps on video.

I don't know if this is true, but I seem to remember hearing that Madison's original show in '76 had a lot of disco in it.

Can anyone confirm? Sorry if I'm totally out of the ballpark.

Edit: Sorry - I should have known that there would be thread somewhere here on DCP talking about the show.

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/29004-madison-scouts-1976-early-season/

Here is the audio from their original show from 1976: http://youtu.be/S2uPhqhqSo4

Edited by Lincoln

in 1989, we switched the order of our show and interchanged a couple of tunes, added a new ending. There have been several corps that have done this. I've read somewhere that the Cavi's changed their entire show one year in the early 80's. Was told the entire show was scrapped and learned a new show, then made finals. don't know how true this is.

In a nutshell, how does a corps do it? I just watched an early-season video of Garfield's 1987 App Spring, and they made a HUGE amount of changes (more than a few minutes) from June to August.

Perhaps an easier example: same corps, 1986. I remember Garfield's "Wonderful Town" visual ending at the US Open in August --- it looked like the typical "Garfield strand" drill (sans Z-pull). Then at Semis in Madison, they reprised the sick giant block rotation from "On the Waterfront." The question: at what point do they start learning the new drill (and maybe tweaking the music?)? Following that, does it get confusing learning the new while performing the old? Ditto 1988, now that I think about it. To conclude the "Garfield" name, Zingali ended the show with the "G" logo that was not there at the '88 US Open. So again, when are changes like this introduced, and when are they usually added to judged shows?

I know in 1972, at the first DCI champs...our staff made so many revisions to the show on the way to champs that we were waaaay overtime, and missed finals because of overtime penalties.

We missed finals by 0.1, and we had 1.8 in penalties...would have placed us 10th without them...13th with them.

In 1970 we changed our concert number midseason from a Beatle's medley of "Paperback Writer"/"Day Tripper" to a medley from "Paint Your Wagon".