Who would travel to see a "ONCE A YEAR" Old Fashioned Drum Cor

In answer to your question, yes, I would enjoy an experience like that, primarily because the whole point of all the "pageantry" around the contest would be to offer an additional aspect of entertainment for the audience (i.e. Conceptually, a scaled down version of an Olympic retreat or closing ceremony). Having said that, I would only enjoy it if all involved were actually committed to doing it in a manner that is consistent with the values that we profess (excellence, professionalism, entertainment-oriented, etc.).

What's sad is all of the DCP nay saying surrounding the idea... as usual.

The suggestion was one show per year, and it goes without saying that all involved would have to be in agreement to provide that kind of spectacle activity to cap the night off. It's not about the scores (yes, you can get them online), it's simply a throwback "traditional" celebration of who we are as a "unique" performing arts entity. (Yes, "unique" is debatable)

Naysaying? What if someone just fails to see the point of it?

What if DCI says "Ok, we're designating the Laramie WY show to have a traditional retreat" How many people would that REALLY impact?

Besides, to some of us an Olympic style retreat is hardly 'traditional'. That's not how we did them when I marched.

• Like 1

Allentown may be the perfect place for this kind of retreat, especially since it is a nod to tradition and Allentown exudes drum corps history. If you don't have a retreat in Allentown, just tell the kids to wear their uniforms and bring their instruments to Yocco's and put on a show.

What if DCI says "Ok, we're designating the Laramie WY show to have a traditional retreat" How many people would that REALLY impact?

Besides, to some of us an Olympic style retreat is hardly 'traditional'. That's not how we did them when I marched.

OK... how about an Olympic-style retreat, but with the corps all carrying woodwinds? :tongue:

• Like 1

If someone fails to see the point, rather than naysaying, why not take on more of a "help me see the point" attitude? If in the end they conclude that it's not something for them, then it's pretty easy to simply say "I wouldn't be interested."

My point is that our little drum corps "planet" is much more akin to a drum corps "shark tank," which I think is unnecessary and largely unhealthy toward strengthening the activity.

How many people are REALLY impacted by the entire DCI tour? What's your point? My response to the OP's question was a reflection of how it would impact ME. As stated, I would travel and pay for such an event, presented in the context that I described.

Obviously, because it's highly unlikely that such an event would ever be attempted, we'll never know how a "legacy themed event" may or may not inspire X-amount of former fans (that once valued that aspect of drum corps events) to travel and purchase a ticket. Further, I think it's fair to say that that former fan base isn't impacted at all by the status quo, because they're no longer buying tickets, likely a result of them not being considered a target market group.

Okay, I speak from my own 80's era DCM upbringing. I should not assume that that approach was typical coast-to-coast. Interestingly, DCM went through much effort in focusing on how to make retreats better and more engaging for spectators. Talk about a total 180 degree turn in attitude and vision for wrapping up a pageantry event.

Edited by nemesiscorps

In answer to your question, yes, I would enjoy an experience like that, primarily because the whole point of all the "pageantry" around the contest would be to offer an additional aspect of entertainment for the audience (i.e. Conceptually, a scaled down version of an Olympic retreat or closing ceremony). Having said that, I would only enjoy it if all involved were actually committed to doing it in a manner that is consistent with the values that we profess (excellence, professionalism, entertainment-oriented, etc.).

What's sad is all of the DCP nay saying surrounding the idea... as usual.

The suggestion was one show per year, and it goes without saying that all involved would have to be in agreement to provide that kind of spectacle activity to cap the night off. It's not about the scores (yes, you can get them online), it's simply a throwback "traditional" celebration of who we are as a "unique" performing arts entity. (Yes, "unique" is debatable)

Does it take extra time, effort, making of sacrifices, etc.? Of course, but I was under the impression that by nature, the entire activity was about putting in extra time, effort, making sacrifices, etc.

People seem to get a kick out of going to (or observing) an NFL game when the teams put on the throwback uniforms, jerseys, etc. It's called creative marketing. Why not create a throwback drum corps experience? One show. Why not?

The question was whether one would travel to see this style of show once a year. My answer is No. What's the issue with saying no if you're asking a question?

The question was whether one would travel to see this style of show once a year. My answer is No. What's the issue with saying no if you're asking a question?

There's nothing wrong with saying "no" if you're asking a question.

But as you stated, "The question was whether one would travel to see this style of show once a year." Here is a summary of some of the Page 1 responses, which actually don't answer the question, but instead, clearly lean pessimistic toward something not even proposed:

"... dwelling in the past"

"Can’t do it due to timing"
"look how many people leave, including older fans before the encore performance"
"... shows aren't just on the weekend like many years ago"

"In today's world one doesn't even have to wait for scores..."
"... the show structure is not very flexible, certainly not to the "extremes" of requiring corps to alter their post-show customs."
"Some corps leave early(ish), some corps give their members' free time post-show, some corps might send their equipment truck(s) ahead of the corps early after the performance, etc."
I consider the above responses as typical DCP naysaying or pessimism toward anything even suggesting tradition, and thus, moving the discussion beyond the question to the point of critical analysis of past vs. present practice. As a result, the actual question doesn't even get off the ground.
In truth, I'd have no problem if the question were actually answered and supported or discussed with additional related comments, as each of the above comments appropriately fit within the context of a discussion, but again, as you've noted, none of those responses answer the question, but instead... as usual... the comments offer critical commentary (imo, darts) to the simple question suggesting traveling to one show per year, formatted to include a "grand finale style" conclusion to the event (e.g. "Shark Tank"). Ironically, even on the t.v. show itself, the lure is to see people get ripped apart, and/or to see them triumph or survive in the tank. As it relates to DCP dialog, there's lots of ripping here, not much triumph... IMO.
If the OP's question would have been, "What do you think about bringing back traditional retreats for shows?", then naturally, we're off and away on pluses and minuses related to that question. But instead, as usual, we're in shark tank mode without even addressing the essence of the question.
Edited by nemesiscorps

I am sorry Mr. McCormick, one can not live in the past. Besides, whose past would you be referencing: American Legion, VFW, CYO, early DCI, DCI Olympic style done some years to WGI like theatrics, Olympic style according to someone's current understanding of the veterans' militristic approach, WGI circus like Olympic style?

Over the four decades of DCI several approaches have been attempted and participants each own their own experience as the tradition to follow.

From a business sense, it would be silly to plan a trip for a fifteen minute grab which could be rained out or aborted (even if indoor) if there were a repeat of the events of DCI's first finals, the regionals disrupted by rain at both Atlanta and Allentown some years, the tornadoes that shifted scheduling at Whitewater, Minneapolis, and Indianapolis (do you remember the State Fair tragedy while LOS was wondering about final scores and whether one could safely run to the busses?) There has to be more to it than this.

The difficulties and congestion of Allentown is one reason DCI went to DMs only for score announcements, and that was before corps became larger with five busses, two equipment trucks (God bless the props), food truck, souvie truck, and zillion of percussion and guard equipment to be dissembled and stowed. Travel, housing, food, and ticket costs didn't need a mortgage like today.

When the old timers like yourself who marched Hawthorne Muchachos and then Vanguard back in the '70's, dream of re-creating the days/daze of yore, corps were smaller and even smaller during Legion/VFW days.

It's a case of some putting oats in automobiles because that's how we fed the horses.

It doesn't work for today's realities.

The "benefits" don't out weigh the costs.

Edited by xandandl

There's nothing wrong with saying "no" if you're asking a question.

But as you stated, "The question was whether one would travel to see this style of show once a year." Here is a summary of some of the Page 1 responses, which actually don't answer the question, but instead, clearly lean pessimistic toward something not even proposed:

"... dwelling in the past"

"Can’t do it due to timing"
"look how many people leave, including older fans before the encore performance"
"... shows aren't just on the weekend like many years ago"

"In today's world one doesn't even have to wait for scores..."
"... the show structure is not very flexible, certainly not to the "extremes" of requiring corps to alter their post-show customs."
"Some corps leave early(ish), some corps give their members' free time post-show, some corps might send their equipment truck(s) ahead of the corps early after the performance, etc."
I consider the above responses as typical DCP naysaying or pessimism toward anything even suggesting tradition, and thus, moving the discussion beyond the question to the point of critical analysis of past vs. present practice. As a result, the actual question doesn't even get off the ground.
In truth, I'd have no problem if the question were actually answered and supported or discussed with additional related comments, as each of the above comments appropriately fit within the context of a discussion, but again, as you've noted, none of those responses answer the question, but instead... as usual... the comments offer critical commentary (imo, darts) to the simple question suggesting traveling to one show per year, formatted to include a "grand finale style" conclusion to the event (e.g. "Shark Tank"). Ironically, even on the t.v. show itself, the lure is to see people get ripped apart, and/or to see them triumph or survive in the tank. As it relates to DCP dialog, there's lots of ripping here, not much triumph... IMO.
If the OP's question would have been, "What do you think about bringing back traditional retreats for shows?", then naturally, we're off and away on pluses and minuses related to that question. But instead, as usual, we're in shark tank mode without even addressing the essence of the question.

you are very much mixing up facts on why people are saying no or reasons for the change in attitude toward what you are asking for nay saying

• Like 1

you are very much mixing up facts on why people are saying no or reasons for the change in attitude toward what you are asking for nay saying

I don't think so.

I'm simply suggesting that actually addressing the question... along with all the rest... would at least create a discussion focused on the question.

Admittedly, there is a fine line between the question asked (i.e. Attending a drum corps throwback event once a year), and the topic for which the question falls under (i.e. Retreats). There's a DCP cultural tendency for folks to drift right into the topic and skip over the question itself. My observation of the question does not include all the facts or reasons people are saying no. In fact, I would also argue that their "no" is implied rather than actually stated.

IOW, can we at least answer the question before coming up with all of the "facts or reasons?" I interpret all of the "facts and reasons" offered to be in response to a different question than what was asked. (e.g. Should we bring back retreats? vs. "Whether one would travel to see this style of show once a year?")