Who would travel to see a "ONCE A YEAR" Old Fashioned Drum Cor

In the context of DCP dead horse topics, those responses certainly don't sound optimistic to me.

Frankly, I think it can be reasonably argued that the OP's statement of "I think i would rather go there - than DCI Championships" can be taken as a rather pessimistic stance on the activity as it is today, so take that for what it's worth. This whole over-reaction to how people are stating their perfectly valid and, let's face it, pretty fairly respectful reasoning behind their answers is flat-out ridiculous IMO.

Frankly, I think it can be reasonably argued that the OP's statement of "I think i would rather go there - than DCI Championships" can be taken as a rather pessimistic stance on the activity as it is today, so take that for what it's worth. This whole over-reaction to how people are stating their perfectly valid and, let's face it, pretty fairly respectful reasoning behind their answers is flat-out ridiculous IMO.

Thanks.

Seriously, my going on is preventing anything substantive from occurring. My apologies to all.

Edited by nemesiscorps

You're missing the point Mike.

Yes, they gave reasons why the idea wouldn't work... but he didn't ask if anyone thought the idea would work. He asked: "Would you travel to see a "ONCE A YEAR" Old Fashioned Drum Corps Show? That's it.

As I said, engaging in discussion is presumably the whole point behind DCP, so what they offered is relevant and even appropriate to the discussion. However, IMO those responses took things immediately away from his inquiry, skipping right over the question and into pessimistic commentary on retreats. We never even got to the discussion of if people would travel to a single, annual event like that.

One would hope that the intent of the OP would be addressed, at least at the onset of the discussion, but we seem to be so culturally dysfunctional that we either don't see, or refuse to acknowledge what's objectively stated, even with his use quotations and caps; "ONCE A YEAR"...

At least on Shark Tank they listen and then respond to the information presented before they start chomping away.

Jesus Christ dude now you're just arguing semantics and small details. If people give reasons why they think the show wouldn't work, a logical person would deduce that those are the things that they have issues with retreats, and as a result those are the reasons why they say no.

I don't think I'm equating "no" with pessimistic. I do believe that people are entitled to their opinion, as I certainly have mine.

There's nothing wrong with saying, "No, I don't enjoy retreats, especially retreats that are formatted from decades ago. I'd prefer things as they are now, or some discussion around new ideas." One could also say, "No, I don't like traveling at all. If the show was nearby, sure, but no, I wouldn't travel solely because of an old fashioned theme to the show." Neither of those responses are necessarily pessimistic, but they are on point to the OP's question. And again, it would be fine to go on with, "As it relates to retreats in general...." but that didn't happen.

First, I'm classifying/equating/interpreting some of the responses as pessimistic because of some of the language used in critiquing the concept of retreats (i.e. "dwelling in the past"). Second, I'm classifying/equating/interpreting some of the responses as pessimistic because they didn't even acknowledge the specificity of the question, as I've previously stated.

In the context of DCP dead horse topics, those responses certainly don't sound optimistic to me.

Oh, but you are equating no with being pessimistic. Someone saying "dwelling in the past" IS their reason for not traveling to see an old fashion DCI show. As a result, you're equating their "no" response with pessimism.

Would I travel to a show with traditional parading and a retreat - YES! If there was a show that was closer and cheaper however, that would be my first choice. But that is me. I do not match what the average American DC fan's reality is.

Right now what do we see on the FN? We see some regionals with contests during intermission which could certainly be shortened. We also see TOC shows where all the corps get on the field and have some sort of presentation where they play, the guard spins and there is even singing sometimes. Seems to me corps make room for that.

No one is saying the shows themselves have to be traditional.

I actually miss the trooping that stands and the retreat. It was rather cool and I actually would go out of my way to see it. After all DCI finals does it.

I remember Drum Corps West shows were usually DM-only retreats...nice for the performers...weak for the audience. The first real one was at the 1st Regional: Mile High Stadium. Back east we trooped the line at every show (Drum Corps Mid-West and Drum Corps East). We'd guard our ranks fanatically on the way in, during and trooping the line out. We'd form a block, be called to attn. when our score was announced...set-back to parade-rest....play America/OCanada...going for a high F, doubleA or doubleC for the open [concert] Cmaj chord at the end as loud as humanly possible....and if we won...we'd get to perform a victory stand-still on the track which is BEYOND FUN FOR EVERYONE CONSIDERED.

They still do a full retreat at DCI...and I haven't been since it became entrenched in Indy...so I guess the answer is no....but would I travel a long distance (say, hop on a plane and book a hotel room...) just for that one extra thing? NO.

There's usually a few corps that will do standstill park-and blows for the fans in the lot BEFORE AND AFTER most shows-that makes up for the lack of a legit-retreat in most cases.

1. Definitely not; I care FAR more about the shows on the field than any other stuff (as much as I really love that other stuff)

2. Do they do something like this at DCA shows, or with the Alumni corps that do DCA?

I personally have never been the type of guy who wants to dwell on the past: I'd rather continue to embrace the present and push towards the future. As a percussionist (who marches snare in drum corps) I of course love cadences, and as a fan I truly miss the days of retreat when corps would play each other off with special songs. But I'm fine with drum corps now and while I miss that stuff I don't feel the need to push for that stuff to come back, and I definitely would not travel to see a show just because of cadences and full retreat

the alumni corps show attendance at DCA is smaller than that of prelims. And as less and less fans of "old time drum corps" are around or travelling, we'll see attendance drop unless shows become more modren, and corps younger generations had connections to start alumni corps

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 1